City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

@slbsn has said on twitter it won’t be an issue as owners will simply convert the loans to equity, but then why do the loans in the first place then?
I won’t go in to weeds, but one of the issues with converting debt-to-equity is the exposure of the entity funding the swap. I am not sure I share Stefan’s confidence that all of the owner entities of the clubs with low-to-no interest shareholder loans would be willing to assume the inherent risks involved, especially given the general state of football markets at present and the uncertainty surrounding the full implications of this and several other recent consequential rulings.

The legality of APT as a concept was upheld, just not the 2 most recent additions. City argued the whole thing was unlawful and failed.

It’s not arguable that was a major victory for the PL, if City had succeeded in that there’d be no APT rules right now, and as it stands we’re just back to 2020 rules.

That they don’t involve the interest free loans as APTs was part of the 2020 rules too, and I’m not sure they’re going to easily get agreement to just include them from enough clubs.

Think this has a fair bit to run yet.

There’s nothing wrong as such with an interest free loan, it’s only an issue now due to the APT rules.

What really should happen is owners should be forced to put in equity, that’s what a regulator whose main motivation was the financial stability of clubs would be advocating for…

Yes. It's all a bit contradictory. A shareholder can normally decide for many reasons on putting whether to invest equity or loans. Fiscal, mostly. Fundamentally, it affects nothing. But, now, a shareholder will be forced either into a structure that isn't the most beneficial to them, or punished with a commercial rate of interest that, ironically, affects their "sustainability" and their ability to compete. It's a weird financial world we live in. Tangled webs and all that.

It's a significant victory for City. The panel agreed with the principle of FMV and admitted that it's "not an exact science". City did not get FMV thrown out, but realistically, I don't think they ever thought it would be. What has been ripped up is the APT rules, so Panja is wrong to say we revert to November 2021. The decision (link to page 164 on City's website) explicitly rules the amended APT and original APT to have been applied unlawfully. This is a fox in henhouse moment.

The legality of APT as a concept was upheld, just not the 2 most recent additions. City argued the whole thing was unlawful and failed.

It’s not arguable that was a major victory for the PL, if City had succeeded in that there’d be no APT rules right now, and as it stands we’re just back to 2020 rules.

People can argue about whether City thought they’d actually win that argument or not, but the fact is they made the argument and lost and the PL is in a much much better position than they’d be if that claim had been upheld.
Carry on!

Nobody is listening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.