City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

Am I reading too much into the timing of the 115 charges hearing in November and the club wanting a response from Pep regarding his contract around the same time? Seems a strange time to announce either a departure or an extension without the 2 being linked.

First, this hearing is totally separate to the 115 charges.
This hearing is to challenge the legality of the PL regulations brought in in 2021 when Newcastle were bought by the Saudi Wealth Fund.
The PL Related Party Rules were changed to restrict income from state majority owned entities - even though by IFRS IAS 24 accountacy rules, they aren't related parties.
Legally, either ALL major sponsorships go through the same filter or none. The PL can't pick and choose which club sponsorsips go through this filter.
Some bigger clubs have received massive sponsorships from US companies that have relationships with PL club US owners. What were the alternatives here? It didn't matter apparantly - it wasn't from the gulf.

Deloite IAS 24 changes over the years:

Last edited:
I think we are on incredibly strong ground , how on earth do the pl think they have a right to tell a company what they can pay anyone for a sponsorship deal and what is the pls defence that its unfair that this team makes more money than that team, how are the dippers, rags, and arsenal going to justify the standard chartered, team viewer and rwandan deals as fair market value
They are the rule makers, so they certainly have the right.

Whether it is right is a different matter. We’d have to prove we’ve been adversely affected by the rules for us to be successful.

Millions are being spent on legal fees to fight this case. One senior club source says the Premier League’s legal bill has more than quadrupled in the past year, from about £5million to north of £20million. They also point to the fact that since February the Premier League’s own legal department has been forced to shift its focus to this claim when it is also trying to prepare for the hearing into City’s 115 charges. “This is clearly a tactic,” the source said.
Of course it’s a tactic. Khaldoon did warn them. I’m glad we are doing this. Something had to give, otherwise Masters and his American handlers will never stop. They wanted a war. They started a war. Now they have got a war. Game on!

Last edited:
This should help club's image, sigh. Seems so unnecessary to me. Unless they've got real dirt, which I doubt. Exhausting being a City fan.

Is fair market value a bad thing, really? Or is it not being used fairly?

It's one of those things where even if you win you're the bad guy.

People think related companies should pay fair sponsorships, that's clearly the majority opinion. They don't really care if the process by which the PL achieves that stands up to english law, they just want the end result.

So the absolute best case scenario is we win, the PL says "sorry we tried to bring in rules but City stopped it" and then it's our fault when Aramco pay Newcastle £350m/year.

Or we win, and then we use that judgment as a weapon against the PL. "Lets see what else we can dismantle" etc. or even because it's in 2 parts, we could win and then use the upcoming award of damages as a weapon. Effective - but not the actions of an innocent party.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.