City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

We will lose this one

The same judge had similar case in Rugby, and I think he sided with controlled spending instead of free market.
Possibly. He may order the PL to revert back to the old rules if he decides that rules should be in place to control spending but the new rules are discriminatory.

We will lose this one

The same judge had similar case in Rugby, and I think he sided with controlled spending instead of free market.
It's not an all or nothing case though, is it?

It will be decided on the gruesome technicalities of the mechanisms the Premier League uses to assess fair value, i.e. whether they are truly independent, whether they are excessively burdensome thus prohibitive to trade, whether they allow enough scope for growth etc. etc..

Coudl the PL just argue that if they stop us increasing the etihad sponsorship, we could just use the next highest bidder which should be pretty close to what etihad are offering and of it's not then the etihad deal is inflated?
Possibility of shooting ourselves in the foot?
Listen to the Athletic podcast on this case, a very good listen.

They made a very good argument that say a UAE business wants to sponsor us because it's makes them look good and brings in very good revenue/exposure in that area, they are more than happy to pay a premium to make that happen.

We will lose this one

There are three arbitrators. If Teare is the chairman, as was suggested on here earlier, then Dyson was presumably chosen by the PL. Likely the club chose Vajda who was arbitrator in the successful challenge (along with Dyson, by the way) by football agencies to the fee cap rule introduced by FIFA on football agents’ fees.

While interesting as a discussion point, I am not sure anything can be read into this case from the decisions made by the arbitrators on previous cases.

In my uneducated view, this case will be decided on the specific, and unique, rules in the PL handbook and whether the comply or not with English law. To my mind at least, those rules (or, at least, some elements of them) can be shown to be discriminatory, unfairly burdensome on a targeted group, and unnecessary to meet the PL's objectives.

But what the fuck do I know? :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.