City launch legal action against the Premier League | Unconfirmed reports that City have secured "potentially significant victory" (p 808)

What’s made the premier league is having the largest TV sponsorship by far. Which has allowed the clubs to bring the world’s best players. Hence best league in the world.
Spain and Italy were there once.
The PL is cutting its own throat with these rules to suppress spending.
The Saudi’s will soon be plucking the top players in their prime and we won’t be able to do anything about it.

These new APT rules would have happened in any case to stop City. Don't you think? They have been after sponsorship income since Mansour bought the club (at least once the club got past the first stage of accelerated spending). The initial APT rules were just brought in in a hurry when Saudi joined the party.

They should either apply the competitive bid and FMV rules to all sponsorship everywhere or just forget all this nonsense and get back to IAS definitions of RP. Imho.

I don’t think so no. We’ve never done anything like a PSG did, nor would I expect us to ever do it given we’re owned privately by Mansour rather than by a public investment fund.

We’ve got the exposure and the investors to get whatever sponsor deals we want now. If people want to allow increased investment, then personally I’ll always advocate to increase allowed equity contributions.

glass half empty. I’m thinking the case of the 115 charges ain’t going well at all and city are trying to sling some mud about the place. If it was going well why would we rock the boat.
Whether that’s true or not, you just know that’s the optics that are going to be even more amplified in the media now.

Not sure I’m liking this at all.

Just me perhaps. Not sure I can take much more of this.

I liked football when it was just a game.

It probably won't 100% stop fair sponsorship rules which is OK, from just looking in without too much research it just seems like a challenge to Associated Sponsorship.

UEFA rules will still apply and "fair value" is part of the criteria they adhere to, this would still be the case (I think).
It is the definition of “related” which is specified in IAS 24 against the definition of “associated” which is a construct of the PL which is the issue. City are objecting to the PL rule, while accepting the UEFA rule. The PL Rule is, in City’s submission, not lawful ie breaks competition law.

Generally agree. But is it an independent commission, though?

No idea who this legal case is brought in front of, but I imagine if it is against the PL and there is further chance of loss claim, then it is nothing to to do with the PL's commissions, independent or not. The article refers to a tribunal. That, or some level of court, sounds more logical.
Certainly it is unclear. The Times is behind a paywall but the Guardian reports that "according to the Times, an independent tribunal has been convened for next week to hear it (City's case). The use of the word "tribunal" doesn't suggest a court. On the other hand it doesn't sound like an independent commission if it seems to have the power to award damages, though perhaps such powers would not be unprecedented. It does sound a mess that a hearing is going to consider the validity of a kind of sponsorship deal which exists only in PL financial regulations. Either way I think City's chances of a favourable ruling are high since PL rules are governed by English law.

My gut reaction to this is that we’re not on very strong ground here and that we might lose this action.

If that happens, the whattaboutery around 115 will ramp up off the charts, despite the two cases having nothing to do with each other.
We have laws in this country that are totally opposite to your gut reaction

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.