City launch MLS Franchise

Great article that.

This has such huge possibilities especially at an academy level. Can just see Paddy Vieira talking to a new kid and saying, "So we have this club in NYC, fancy spending some time training and playing there?" Add to that the season running over the summer as well, it could give more opportunity for competetive matches.

The talent pool is ever increasing over here. These MLS clubs are starting to implement European style academies. We will have eyes diretly involved scouting players with a potential to make an impact over at City that could then be brought over. The upswing to this is huge even without mentioning "brand" recognition. It would e quite easy to stick a City shop on the grounds of the stadium once they have a permanent home. Show highlights of City matches during halftime etc. Getting the name out there.

In regards to the doubts and opposition over a new stadium, do you not think that is one reason why the Yankees were brought aboard? Would be quite easy for the Yankees (read the biggest sporting franchise in NYC, delivering billions of dollars in revenue) to play hardball and force something through by merely saying they will withdraw some funding/advertising here or there.

NYCFC's first official employee will be announced tomorrow.

From different sources here in the states it will most probably be former Blue...Claudio Reyna

Looks like City made a deal with US rags, lol

With the long-term success of the franchise and a large Yankee fanbase, many fans of other teams have come to dislike the Yankees. The organization is sometimes referred to by detractors as "the Bronx Zoo" (echoing the title of Sparky Lyle's book) or "the Evil Empire." When the Yankees are on the road, it is common for the home fans to chant "Yankees Suck", and numerous t-shirts, bumper stickers and other items have been sold with this phrase.

Much of the animosity toward the team may derive from its high payroll (which was around $200 million at the start of the 2008 season, the highest of any American sports team), and the free agent superstars the team attracts in the offseason. Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Royko noted, "Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax.

You know what guys, first post and first time reading this forum, I have to say well done. I've taken a look at some other club forums for curiosity's sake like Redcafe (which was riddled with ignorance) and some Spurs forums to track what people thought of Dempsey (horrific fans, and no independent thinkers with different opinions) and I've read through this thread and a few others and like what I see. Fair and balanced and the right amount of curiosity and comedy.

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:
Football will NEVER be a major sport here in the US of A. It gets followed closely once every four years. The National Team make the World Cup every four years because CONCACAF is so weak.

If the MLS played in my back garden, I would draw the curtains. The proposed stadium is about 10 minutes from my flat. I guess if City would loan out some promising youngster, I would mosey on over for a game or two. If it werent for Citys involvement, I wouldnt be bothered. There is local opposition to the building of that new stadium. I would say if Mayor Bloomberg really wanted it, it would go thru but Bloomy is on his way out. After 20 years of good leadership under Mayors Guiliani and Bloomberg, the next Mayor will be an absolute muppet.

As a long suffering Mets fan, I am not impressed with Citys involvement with the Yankees....
With your use of unnecessary UK lingo and horrible views about American soccer, you sound like the type of douchebag that wears fedoras unironically, and go on about how you go watch the footy down at the pub to a thoroughly uninterested group of acquaintances, trying to be some kind of Green Street caricature.If you're really American, take a look at yourself. I hope you didn't root for us during the World Cup either with that kind of talk about MLS and the Nats.

But that's not a way to make friends here is it!

MSP said:
yep, as I wrote earlier..

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

A New York team will be hated no matter what. Superior resources, a league always trying to make them into a 'superclub' and arrogant fans. I just never thought I'd see the day when the hated Red Bulls would instantly become an underdog.

As for fans being lost because of any affiliation with City/Yankees, it's nonsense. The type of untapped market here are people who couldn't be bothered to travel to Jersey every other week that are already soccer fans. So that's quite a few. Not to mention the location itself which is in the heart of a strong Hispanic area, along with the Euro descendants in Western Queens and the white public out on Long Island.

Anyone who says "I'm not supporting NYCFC because I'm a Mets/Man United" fan is a fool, because they cannot differentiate between different philosophies, and that's not the type of casual fan that's going to build a fanbase anyway. Plus, even typical Americans who know a bit about the game know Manchester United "fans" are jokes. But we do have the 'support your team at home, support a European team' thing going on, so whatever...

Glad that the MLS is expanding, I am a lifelong City fan and have lived in L.A. since 88.
I have been attending Galaxy games since the first season in 96, the football has been dire at times and I had to "endure" the shame of supporting a team with Mr. Goldenballs in it for the past 7 years.
As season ticket holder I shall continue supporting the Galaxy, but will have a soft spot for NYCFC and want them to do well unless they are playing the G's.

I think it's a terrible move.

I think Chivas USA have shown the folly of letting a foreign team own a MLS franchise. I doubt it will be as dramatic as that but if Mancity will only use NYCFC as a feeder club it's a step backwards for MLS.

Also the name is terrible. What's going to be the nickname, "City"?

I don't mind the soccer tradition of attaching "FC" to the city name, like FC Dallas, but New York City FC is a mouthful. Even the acronym "NYCFC" is too long. Should've gone with the traditional route with a nickname, like New York Stallions or something.

some proper torn up Yanks in this thread wondering about their loyalties when the NYCFC opens its doors for the first time!!

in all honesty it is refreshing to see that the enthusiasm you Yanks have for the game and your dedication to the league itself. i hope that this new team will elevate the exposure of the league so that it does begin to attract more fans to the games and more people watching on t.v.

just not too popular though as i dont want you Americans starting to take our best players away from england or europe, cant be doing with staying up til all hours to watch my 'American' team :)

NYCBlue said:
You know what guys, first post and first time reading this forum, I have to say well done. I've taken a look at some other club forums for curiosity's sake like Redcafe (which was riddled with ignorance) and some Spurs forums to track what people thought of Dempsey (horrific fans, and no independent thinkers with different opinions) and I've read through this thread and a few others and like what I see. Fair and balanced and the right amount of curiosity and comedy.

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:
Football will NEVER be a major sport here in the US of A. It gets followed closely once every four years. The National Team make the World Cup every four years because CONCACAF is so weak.

If the MLS played in my back garden, I would draw the curtains. The proposed stadium is about 10 minutes from my flat. I guess if City would loan out some promising youngster, I would mosey on over for a game or two. If it werent for Citys involvement, I wouldnt be bothered. There is local opposition to the building of that new stadium. I would say if Mayor Bloomberg really wanted it, it would go thru but Bloomy is on his way out. After 20 years of good leadership under Mayors Guiliani and Bloomberg, the next Mayor will be an absolute muppet.

As a long suffering Mets fan, I am not impressed with Citys involvement with the Yankees....
With your use of unnecessary UK lingo and horrible views about American soccer, you sound like the type of douchebag that wears fedoras unironically, and go on about how you go watch the footy down at the pub to a thoroughly uninterested group of acquaintances, trying to be some kind of Green Street caricature.If you're really American, take a look at yourself. I hope you didn't root for us during the World Cup either with that kind of talk about MLS and the Nats.

MSP said:

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

A New York team will be hated no matter what. Superior resources, a league always trying to make them into a 'superclub' and arrogant fans. I just never thought I'd see the day when the hated Red Bulls would instantly become an underdog.

As for fans being lost because of any affiliation with City/Yankees, it's nonsense. The type of untapped market here are people who couldn't be bothered to travel to Jersey every other week that are already soccer fans. So that's quite a few. Not to mention the location itself which is in the heart of a strong Hispanic area, along with the Euro descendants in Western Queens and the white public out on Long Island.

Anyone who says "I'm not supporting NYCFC because I'm a Mets/Man United" fan is a fool, because they cannot differentiate between different philosophies, and that's not the type of casual fan that's going to build a fanbase anyway. Plus, even typical Americans who know a bit about the game know Manchester United "fans" are jokes. But we do have the 'support your team at home, support a European team' thing going on, so whatever...

Welcome to bluemoon mate.

Great first post.

NYCBlue said:

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:

MSP said:

Post more or i will find you and smear excriment on your soft furnishings and white goods.
I hope this promise of action has the desired effect.

Welcome to the forum NYCBlue :)

oakiecokie said:
TCIB said:
Good article by James Ducker @ thetimes.co.uk ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchestercity/article3771468.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/foo ... 771468.ece</a>

128580734_hart_415542c.jpg

Picture the scene a few years from now: a New York City football team playing in the sky blue of Manchester City with one of the potential stars of the Barclays Premier League club’s ambitious academy project running the midfield.

Or how about the New York Yankees baseball team pitching up at the Etihad Stadium to play a regular-season Major League Baseball game in much the same way as American football has set up camp in London in recent years?

None of these ideas is set in stone, of course, but nor were they dismissed yesterday as City, Major League Soccer and the Yankees announced a pioneering deal to create an MLS franchise in New York in time for the start of the 2015-16 season, the commercial opportunities and crossover appeal of which may, in time, come to have a landmark effect.

It is, in the words of Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, a “transformational move”. Sure, there are already figures with stakes in both Barclays Premier League and MLS clubs — think Stan Kroenke, the largest shareholder at Arsenal and also owner of the Colorado Rapids football team. But the idea of a Premier League club in effect creating a mini version of themselves in another country that also happens to be the world’s most lucrative sports market, represents an ambitious and exciting first for European football.

Ferran Soriano, the City chief executive, initially struck upon this idea during his time as a marketing executive with Barcelona but felt that, with a pre-David Beckham MLS still finding its feet, the time was not right for such a tie-in. Eight years on, with MLS boasting the third-highest attendances in United States sport after American football and baseball, attracting a host of blue-chip companies from Pepsi to Microsoft as sponsors and making huge strides in its bid to become “one of the world’s top football leagues” over the next decade, Soriano no longer harboured such doubts.

A driving force behind City’s latest statement of intent, the Spaniard had already been in talks for months with the club’s Abu Dhabi owners about creating an MLS franchise before he formally began work at the Premier League club in September last year. Nine months on, that vision has been realised, although it is the involvement of the Yankees, who will have about a quarter stake in New York City FC, that could prove the game-changer and ensure that this partnership does not end up the way of their previous unsuccessful tie-in with a Manchester club — United — in 2001.

Since Sheikh Mansour bought City in 2008, the club have embarked on a series of commercial and community projects in the US, but this latest development could give them a footing and profile previously unimaginable.

The next two years, as City and the Yankees work together to ensure the fledgeling team are in place by April 2015, are certain to be intriguing.

Soriano will oversee the appointment of a director of football, coach and staff with offices due to be set up in New York, while the Yankees will have a role to play in the creation of a new stadium, the preferred site for which is Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, near the home of the New York Mets baseball team.

That process may not be without its obstacles; local residents and politicians have already registered their opposition because of the human rights record of Abu Dhabi, whose ruling family own City, but where there is a will there tends to be a way.

Under MLS rules, clubs are allowed to make three marquee overseas signings outside their wage cap, so just as Beckham’s arrival at the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2007 helped to put football in the US on the map, there is every possibility that a New York City team under City ownership could boast some of the most recognisable names in world football.

And that, Daily Mirror,is how to write an article in a positive manner.

Yep, you don't have to be starfish sucking but looking on the half full side.
The article offers fair insight into why now is the time to strike so to speak.

Ok James i can say i am enjoying my times subscription now :)
Not looking for arse licking but it is nice to see more than the pitfalls and warped interpretations of how we are run/operate printed in the negative constantly.

Informative and fair, words rarely attributed to printed media for many years if at all in the general sense.
We knock the reporters enough so give em credit when they do the job in essence they are paid for well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.