City launch MLS Franchise

gordondaviesmoustache said:
This is strategically a perfect move for the football club.

I have felt for sometime football in the US inexorably moving towards critical mass and I suspect next years World Cup, given its location and equivalent timezone to the US, will provide that final impetus to fully establish the game over there. It won't displace American Football or Baseball, but it will sit alongside them within a decade imo.

It is an important market for City because the Asian market has already been subject to many years of exposure to the likes of united, Arsenal and Liverpool and whilst it should not be ignored I think it provides limited commercial opportunities for the club.

There is also a distinctive difference between the consumers in each of these markets which will mean that once established, the US will be far more lucrative: a City supporter in the US will prove to be a much greater source of revenue to the club than one from Asia. Their spending power will be much greater, they will more readily eschew snide merchandise and be better placed to visit games in the UK.

I imagine to many of our long-term supporters this may be another bewildering and unwelcome development to City and the world of football more generally, but it would be utterly absurd if football today closely resembled itself from the 1970's. Not much else in this world does. For me it's very exciting to be part of this football club, a club I saw drop through the divisions, continue its seemingly inexorable rise to prominence in the global sporting arena.

As an old dodger meself GDM,I must be in the minority.Its a brilliant move and as you rightly point out we would be trying to flog a dead horse over in most parts of Asia.
Tapping into the States is as Baldrick says "a cunning plan M`Lud"

oakiecokie said:

I have felt for sometime football in the US inexorably moving towards critical mass and I suspect next years World Cup, given its location and equivalent timezone to the US, will provide that final impetus to fully establish the game over there. It won't displace American Football or Baseball, but it will sit alongside them within a decade imo.

It is an important market for City because the Asian market has already been subject to many years of exposure to the likes of united, Arsenal and Liverpool and whilst it should not be ignored I think it provides limited commercial opportunities for the club.

There is also a distinctive difference between the consumers in each of these markets which will mean that once established, the US will be far more lucrative: a City supporter in the US will prove to be a much greater source of revenue to the club than one from Asia. Their spending power will be much greater, they will more readily eschew snide merchandise and be better placed to visit games in the UK.

I imagine to many of our long-term supporters this may be another bewildering and unwelcome development to City and the world of football more generally, but it would be utterly absurd if football today closely resembled itself from the 1970's. Not much else in this world does. For me it's very exciting to be part of this football club, a club I saw drop through the divisions, continue its seemingly inexorable rise to prominence in the global sporting arena.

As an old dodger meself GDM,I must be in the minority.Its a brilliant move and as you rightly point out we would be trying to flog a dead horse over in most parts of Asia.
Tapping into the States is as Baldrick says "a cunning plan M`Lud"

Especially as we've - in conjunction with the UAE Embassy - built the pitches in several cities, which has got our club into the mentality of thousands of young, potential fans all over the US.

Hopefully, when they see that NYCFC is associated with us, it will become their MLS club of choice, with all the corresponding sales of merchandise.

Very good post and no doubt along the same lines as the powers that be must be thinking. Unfortunate that I already support the Chicago Fire, but I guess I can have a soft spot for NYCFC. They will have to be my West Ham over here for when I go to NYC.

Looking forward to hear what "the swiss ramble" thinks of this as he knows how football finance works.

“This is a 19million population city. How many football clubs do we have in London? Six. There’s only one here and it’s based in New Jersey so the opportunity is in New York.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-secure-66m-home-4000976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... me-4000976</a>?

jrb said:
“This is a 19million population city. How many football clubs do we have in London? Six. There’s only one here and it’s based in New Jersey so the opportunity is in New York.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-secure-66m-home-4000976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... me-4000976</a>?
And that, in a nutshell, is why this will be huge if we get it right.

The way I look at it, City will handle the playing side and the Yankess will handle the commercial side, as they know the US sports/TV market better than City. Obviously both will still work together.

For a start. Building a new stadium in the middle Queens, if that's the location, affords huge stadium naming rights and everything that goes with it.

Look at the population/housing density in and around Queens

Click to enlarge.

[bigimg]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/336/queensd.jpg[/bigimg]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.