City launch MLS Franchise

swedishcityfan said:
I don't get why they place the team in Queens. I mean, the people there generally supports Mets. And they won't ever support a franchise that has any form of a connection with Yankees. So who do City expect will support this new club?

Queens simply because that's really the only option. The holy trinity of available land, public transport access, and even a chance of city approval is very limited. Even the "NYC" American football teams play out of town, so you take what you can get.

As for the Mets/Yanks issue, I don't see it being a big problem. If you're a football fan in NYC, you're only current option is the Red Bulls out in Harrison NJ. So not only do they have to be Mets fans, but such a huge Mets fan that you'd prefer to brave the PATH train (shudder...) instead of choosing something associated with the Yanks...

DiscoSteve said:
I see nycfc.com looks VERY similar to mcfc.co.uk

In fact so similar... its actually hosted on the very same web servers...

Yes, you might even suspect that MCFC owns NYCFC or something..The plot thickens!

ksf42001 said:
swedishcityfan said:
I don't get why they place the team in Queens. I mean, the people there generally supports Mets. And they won't ever support a franchise that has any form of a connection with Yankees. So who do City expect will support this new club?

Queens simply because that's really the only option. The holy trinity of available land, public transport access, and even a chance of city approval is very limited. Even the "NYC" American football teams play out of town, so you take what you can get.

As for the Mets/Yanks issue, I don't see it being a big problem. If you're a football fan in NYC, you're only current option is the Red Bulls out in Harrison NJ. So not only do they have to be Mets fans, but such a huge Mets fan that you'd prefer to brave the PATH train (shudder...) instead of choosing something associated with the Yanks...

Someone suggested that the Dumbo area in Brooklyn might be a possibility, just buy some old wharehouses and build at the waterfront.
You got any idea if that is at all possible? Transports/contamination etc.

Blueboy Danny said:
S04 said:
DiscoSteve said:
I see nycfc.com looks VERY similar to mcfc.co.uk

In fact so similar... its actually hosted on the very same web servers...

Yes, you might even suspect that MCFC owns NYCFC or something..The plot thickens!

Agenda?
Of course - a-fuckin-genda!!!

S04 said:
Someone suggested that the Dumbo area in Brooklyn might be a possibility, just buy some old wharehouses and build at the waterfront.

Transport seems doable, but "just buy some old warehouses" isn't as easy as it sounds, as NYC real estate is expensive enough on its own. Think of how much it'll rise when owners realize what's being planned and that it's a no-go unless they sell. Not a good negotiating position. When the end product is a highrise, it's still cost effective, but not something with the footprint the size of a stadium. I doubt there's the political will to push this as imminent domain, so public land is the easiest way to go.

swedishcityfan said:

Reportedly a big factor is that Queens has a sizeable immigrant - particular Latin American - population. These are people who, despite being second or third generation US citizens still have football (the proper kind) written into their DNA. Queens is too far from the Red Bulls for them to have any real allegiance to them, so essentially you've got this huge population of football fans whose current only access to football is to watch foreign teams on TV.

OK granted there's the Cosmos, but they've been all bluster and no substance for a number of years now and are still new enough to actual competition that they have not solidified a fanbase - especially as they have chosen not to compete in MLS.

Also, Queens is within the NY metro area - unlike the Red Bulls - so I believe the expectation is that fans from all 5 boroughs will view it as an easy travel. Getting across the river to New Jersey is reportedly both arduous and very expensive (higher than the cost of the match ticket, from what I've read).

swedishcityfan said:

By your logic do you put the team in The Bronx??? Thats a nonstarter long term. They cannot play long term in Yankee Stadium. They have proposed to build a football only stadium in a large park in Queens. The area is nearby The Mets' stadium and has pretty good public transportation.<br /><br />-- Mon May 27, 2013 2:22 pm --<br /><br />
Falastur said:
swedishcityfan said:

Reportedly a big factor is that Queens has a sizeable immigrant - particular Latin American - population. These are people who, despite being second or third generation US citizens still have football (the proper kind) written into their DNA. Queens is too far from the Red Bulls for them to have any real allegiance to them, so essentially you've got this huge population of football fans whose current only access to football is to watch foreign teams on TV.

OK granted there's the Cosmos, but they've been all bluster and no substance for a number of years now and are still new enough to actual competition that they have not solidified a fanbase - especially as they have chosen not to compete in MLS.

Also, Queens is within the NY metro area - unlike the Red Bulls - so I believe the expectation is that fans from all 5 boroughs will view it as an easy travel. Getting across the river to New Jersey is reportedly both arduous and very expensive (higher than the cost of the match ticket, from what I've read).

i live in Queens about 10 minutes from where the proposed new stadium site is. Its a ballache getting to Harrison. Its not doable. OK maybe for a one off it is but I just would not be interested at all. Getting to where the new stadium is being proposed would be dead easy....

When NYCFC sets up their youth academy, any Homegrown players that are sold byNYCFC they keep 75% of the transfer fee. If Manchester City wanted to buy a Homgrown player under contract with NYCFC would really only have to pay 15% to MLS.
I have read where teams from Mexico are putting kids under contract from FC Dallas and LA Galaxy, because parents in the USA don't want their kid to lose a chance at a Scholarship to College. MLS contracts for under 23 are not guaranteed so parents will not want to sign a contract and MLS does not pay as much. You will see Mexican scouts at MLS youth team games scouting players and there is nothing MLS can do. If a kid has the right passport Manchester City could swoop in and sign him to a contract and bypass MLS, because the kid is not under contract.

ksf42001 said:
S04 said:

Transport seems doable, but "just buy some old warehouses" isn't as easy as it sounds, as NYC real estate is expensive enough on its own. Think of how much it'll rise when owners realize what's being planned and that it's a no-go unless they sell. Not a good negotiating position. When the end product is a highrise, it's still cost effective, but not something with the footprint the size of a stadium. I doubt there's the political will to push this as imminent domain, so public land is the easiest way to go.

Also in the Dumbo Area, there are a lot of historic preservation organizations who want to re purpose the buildings for cultural organizations or gallery spaces (I used the site for a project for my Master's Degree). If those were to be razed for a stadium, the community would be livid, because those buildings are a part of the park. It would also throw off the area because most of the park runs along the river, and not as much space in DUMBO for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.