City launch MLS Franchise

Question.

Could the youth players being trained at the new training complex currently being built be registered as New York City players? So they either have an option of going to New York to play or stay in Manchester to play.

jrb said:
Question.

Could the youth players being trained at the new training complex currently being built be registered as New York City players? So they either have an option of going to New York to play or stay in Manchester to play.

Not sure - don't they have to get registered with the league and then get assigned on a rotation basis to individual clubs. I think clubs can only sign about three payers outside this 'draft' process.

There is a "discovery" mechanism, however, it has major problems. First there are limits on the number of players a club may "discover" each year. I am not certain, but I think that number is around 5-6.

However, a common practice is clubs putting claims on players to hijack the negotiation process. For example, the Chicago Fire could be in talks with a player it has not placed a claim on (perhaps they protected other players) and FC Dallas has 2 claims remaining. They can force Chicago to have to deal with Dallas in the process by placing a claim.

There is a lot of talk about this rule being changed soon, but it is still in place.

I don't believe homegrown players would figure into this. The Designated Player rotation and draft applies only to outside players entering MLS from other clubs, leagues, or school.

The one exception would be a youth player continuing their amateur career in an academic setting, would then be subject to the draft.

Might be nothing but I heard a rumour that City is playing the "We might build a stadium in Brooklyn no problems" card in their talks with Queens..

Thing is that Brooklyn got plenty of old industrial areas dying for some regeneration, The Brooklyn head honcho mentioned several last year when he approached MLS about it.

He suggested East New York or Brownsville, saying both struggling neighborhoods could use the economic boost and have the empty land and transportation access needed. He also mentioned East Williamsburg and Bushwick.

Queens Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., called it a declaration of war.

“Brooklyn is already in the process of stealing our . . . Civic Virtue statue and moving it to Green-Wood Cemetery, so what’s next, the Mets?” he fired back. “I better go and lock up the Unisphere.”

Vallone has yet to take a position on whether Flushing Meadows is the best place in Queens for a 25,000-seat soccer stadium, saying he has concerns about the use of existing parkland.

jrb said:
Question.

No, but kids from New York can go to England, Salt Lake set up their resident academy in Arizona.

The one question I have is will NYCFC be able to sell Manchester City merchandise because its made by Nike? All MLS merchandise must be made by Adidas.

Patricksp said:
jrb said:
Question.

No, but kids from New York can go to England, Salt Lake set up their resident academy in Arizona.

The one question I have is will NYCFC be able to sell Manchester City merchandise because its made by Nike? All MLS merchandise must be made by Adidas.

We´ll know in a couple of years..NYCFC doesn´t exist yet

S04 said:
Might be nothing but I heard a rumour that City is playing the "We might build a stadium in Brooklyn no problems" card in their talks with Queens..

Thing is that Brooklyn got plenty of old industrial areas dying for some regeneration, The Brooklyn head honcho mentioned several last year when he approached MLS about it.

He suggested East New York or Brownsville, saying both struggling neighborhoods could use the economic boost and have the empty land and transportation access needed. He also mentioned East Williamsburg and Bushwick.

Queens Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., called it a declaration of war.

“Brooklyn is already in the process of stealing our . . . Civic Virtue statue and moving it to Green-Wood Cemetery, so what’s next, the Mets?” he fired back. “I better go and lock up the Unisphere.”

Vallone has yet to take a position on whether Flushing Meadows is the best place in Queens for a 25,000-seat soccer stadium, saying he has concerns about the use of existing parkland.

Its probably a bluff.

East NY or Brownsville, eh?? You are deffo taking your life in your hands venturing there!!! No way I would be caught trekking around on public transport in those nabes-especially at night! both are very high crime areas.....

For those who like news aggregators, NYCFC now has its own newsnow feed:

<a class="postlink" href="http://classic.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/North+America/MLS/New+York+City+FC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://classic.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Fo ... rk+City+FC</a>

Unsurprisingly, because the MLS club is so linked to us, the aggregator is picking up a lot of MCFC stories, but I'd expect that to tail off over the next few months as people stop feeling the need to mention us every time they mention NYCFC.

Falastur said:
For those who like news aggregators, NYCFC now has its own newsnow feed:

<a class="postlink" href="http://classic.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/North+America/MLS/New+York+City+FC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://classic.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Fo ... rk+City+FC</a>

Unsurprisingly, because the MLS club is so linked to us, the aggregator is picking up a lot of MCFC stories, but I'd expect that to tail off over the next few months as people stop feeling the need to mention us every time they mention NYCFC.

http://classic.newsnow.co.uk/A/647938665?-29610:17251

Bigger Than City? I genuinely hope they achieve huge things, good luck! Original is always best ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.