City launch MLS Franchise

As the nimbys in Queens are sceptical to a new stadium it seems that both Brooklyn (posts above) and now Bronx (NY Yankees homeland) are making a sales pitch..

Even after the May announcement of Major League Soccer's 20th team, New York City FC, nearly two years remain before the expansion club begins play in MLS. For now, the club's plans for a home stadium, which are still undetermined, continue to be the biggest talking point.

We already know that NYCFC will play at a temporary home in the New York area for "two years, maybe three" when they join the league in 2015. Now we also know that there's legitimate competition and lobbying within the city to land what is expected to be a $340 million soccer stadium, funded by NYCFC's owners.

Before unveiling NYCFC, the MLS league office spent several months working with local officials on a stadium proposal for Flushing Meadows Corona Park area. But NYCFC's owners, which include baseball's New York Yankees, are now in charge of the stadium search and the newest development comes in the form of an open letter, drafted by Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. to MLS Commissioner Don Garber, in which Diaz states his desire to bring the world's game to his borough.

It's a bold play by Diaz, who makes it clear that his "office is ready to assist in this endeavor" to bring the soccer stadium to the Bronx. And he lays down the gauntlet in the battle with Queens, stating: "It would appear that there is little enthusiasm for world class soccer in Queens."

While that is likely not entirely the case, the sooner a stadium deal within the city limits is agreed upon and shovels go into the ground, the better, for everyone involved in NYCFC. Whichever the borough.

This sounds like bluster and posturing. Where the hell would they place a football stadium in The Bronx?? I really do think it might depend on whom NYers elect as the next Mayor.

Queens is still the best location for the stadium. The Bronx already has a problem with traffic caused by Yankee games, plus that borough is Basketball and baseball driven. No way Football makes an impact there.

The Mayor is surely out of the picture if the stadium is going to be built using private money?
As for Bronx being a good or bad area I got no idea, but it´s surely to our advantage if several boroughs are willing to go along.

Bronx being Basketball and Baseball driven, well..that goes for Queens as well surely?

S04 said:
The Mayor is surely out of the picture if the stadium is going to be built using private money?
As for Bronx being a good or bad area I got no idea, but it´s surely to our advantage if several boroughs are willing to go along.

Bronx being Basketball and Baseball driven, well..that goes for Queens as well surely?

Do not underestimate the power of the Mayor and politics. The project may be built using 100% private money but Flushing Meadow Park is public land. If there is less than enthusiastic support amongst the neighborhhoods citizens the next mayors powers or persuasion and/or politcal clout will be needed....

Frank the Yank said:
S04 said:

Do not underestimate the power of the Mayor and politics. The project may be built using 100% private money but Flushing Meadow Park is public land. If there is less than enthusiastic support amongst the neighborhhoods citizens the next mayors powers or persuasion and/or politcal clout will be needed....

Exactly, the Barclays Center in Brooklyn took a while to be passed, but with enough investment it was pushed through. Queens is still the best shot, as it is the one borough that still has enough land and would be the most viable, plus the city will look to diversify which parts of the city has a large venue equal to the population sizes. E.G. Staten Island will never get one since it is too small, the draw to bring people from Long Island would be a major draw imo.

Queens is not very baseball driven, if you look at what is played in the city parks and fields in Queens, except for adult softball leagues, you don't find the youth playing baseball. Basketball is big throughout the City, but Football is most prevalent in Queens imo.

Battle of the Boroughs?

1. BRONX OR QUEENS FOR NEW YORK CITY FC?

Is it as simple as that? Perhaps. Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. certainly thinks his community is the best option for NYCFC. “It would appear there is little enthusiasm for world class soccer in Queens,” Diaz said in an open letter sent to MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “My office is ready to assist you in this matter. Please reach out to me directly to discuss the bright professional soccer could have right here in the Bronx.” So, the Bronx or Queens? Your thoughts, please.

2. QUEENS CONFIDENT, DESPITE BRONX’S BELIEVERS

Assemblyman Francisco Moya (D-Corona) responded to Diaz's claims. "I don't fault him for trying. Who wouldn't want a major soccer team in their borough?" Moya said. "Given the way the latest Subway Series went down [with the Mets besting the Yankees], I am extremely confident the team will wind up in Queens." Those are fighting words. Moya also wagered a friendly bet of empanadas on New York City FC ending up in Queens. The battle for MLS’ 20th franchise will only intensify, it seems.

It does seem that having different boroughs compete for the stadium to be located in their borough, may in fact speed things along and allow building to be begin sooner rather than later.

I am sure nobody wants to lose out because of a long drawn out planning application.

I will be surprised if the team opens up its 2015 season in its own purpose built stadium be it in The Bronx or Queens. Where will they play? Hopefully not that shithole on Randalls Island. I saw Pele play there with the Cosmos in 1975 or was it 76???

Frank the Yank said:
I will be surprised if the team opens up its 2015 season in its own purpose built stadium be it in The Bronx or Queens. Where will they play? Hopefully not that shithole on Randalls Island. I saw Pele play there with the Cosmos in 1975 or was it 76???

No it´s not possible to build a stadium in such short time..But there´s in USA a company that provides temporary stadiums for a couple of years if they just get a space to build it.
After the lease they just pick up the modules, clubs like say Vancouver used it while building their new stadium.

As you can see it´s not much concrete and mostly steel poles being used.

2967703.bin

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.