City launch MLS Franchise

oakiecokie said:
OS reporting a live stream at just before 3.00pm to the Yankees press conference.

Can someone provide live updates for those of us at work?

Vienna_70 said:
This only struck me after I'd logged off last night, but the new team is NYCF(ootball)C, and not NYCS(occer)C.

I find that very interesting, when football in the States is usually gridiron.

You'll find that football is used more and more by those that follow the sport in North America.

Four other teams use football in their name -- Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Seattle Sounders FC and FC Dallas (although it's Fútbol in Dallas' case).

That said, you do get a pushback from some that say that the name soccer should be used, because it reflects the history of the game in North America. There is even a word that is used -- "Eurosnob" -- to describe fans that try to sound sophisticated by using English terms 9pitch instead of field, table instead of standings, etc) when talking about the sport.

omcfc said:
I think it's a nice idea. A club in New York who are affilliated with us (like a sister club). And I think that would make New York City the first City in the MLS to have a true local derby. That will spice up their league no end. I know the last word in everything these days is money, and our owners aren't a charity, but why not make money *and* benefit others at the same time?

LA Galaxy and Chivas USA share the same stadium.

Although the distances aren't what you're used to Seattle v Portland and Vancouver (about 2 and 3 hours), Toronto v Montreal (4 hours and a whole lot of political bagage) and the eastern seaboard (Philly/Red Bull New York/DC) all have characteristics of a derby game.

If you haven't been paying attention you'll probably be surprised by fan culture in pockets of North American soccer: <a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhaj8mkRkI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhaj8mkRkI</a>

My wife and I live in Flushing, and they chose the right area and should build it in Queens. Football is a hugely popular sport in the borough (Every Weekend there are leagues games being played) along with the easy access of Long Islanders via the LIE to get to games. Long Island is for the most part a largely affluent part of NY where alot of middle class kids play football in youth leagues, rec leagues, and travel and for their respective schools. The draw of that plus a largely football crazy borough makes sense for NYCFC to be played in Flushing. If they play in any other borough (except Manhattan) they will not be as successful.

BlueCanuck said:
Vienna_70 said:
This only struck me after I'd logged off last night, but the new team is NYCF(ootball)C, and not NYCS(occer)C.

I find that very interesting, when football in the States is usually gridiron.

You'll find that football is used more and more by those that follow the sport in North America.

Four other teams use football in their name -- Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Seattle Sounders FC and FC Dallas (although it's Fútbol in Dallas' case).

That said, you do get a pushback from some that say that the name soccer should be used, because it reflects the history of the game in North America. There is even a word that is used -- "Eurosnob" -- to describe fans that try to sound sophisticated by using English terms 9pitch instead of field, table instead of standings, etc) when talking about the sport.

I think it is important MLS has been respectful to the global game. Although, what is funny is "soccer" was actually an English slang term for as'soc'iation football, yet it is what is used primarily in the US.

However, what complicated things was that American football and "soccer" football developed about the same time frame, but on different continents, hence the difference is usage.

Reyna Director of Football<br /><br />-- Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm --<br /><br />Here is the link for anybody wanting to watch who hasn't already got it up. <a class="postlink" href="http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=NYY&content_id=27316575&partnerId=as_mlb_20130522_8175684&topic_id=16646292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id= ... d=16646292</a>

From page 22 of this thread:

Tricky_Trev said:
Can we get Claudio Reyna involved? I believe he is now a technical director for youth football in the US, or something like that. And he used to play for the New York Red Bulls, so knows what football is like in that area. Plus, he's one of our own of course.

I am wasted in this job. No really... i've had like 10 pints. Fucking wasted.

Tricky_Trev said:

Tricky_Trev said:
Can we get Claudio Reyna involved? I believe he is now a technical director for youth football in the US, or something like that. And he used to play for the New York Red Bulls, so knows what football is like in that area. Plus, he's one of our own of course.

Ha!

Wasn't he at Carrington training ground last year, I'm sure he was on one of those Citytv clips, probably came for an interview!

allan harper said:
Tricky_Trev said:

Tricky_Trev said:

Ha!

Wasn't he at Carrington training ground last year, I'm sure he was on one of those Citytv clips, probably came for an interview!
He was indeed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.