City linked with Guus Hiddink

vans0531

Mark Hughes's future at Manchester City has entered a critical period as he battles to convince the club's owners over the next few weeks that he remains the manager to realise their long-term vision.

The City manager is again under scrutiny following Wednesday night's meagre offering at Tottenham Hotspur, where a 3-0 defeat to fellow Champions League hopefuls left the club languishing eighth in the Premier League. This comes amid reports that the former Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has been approached by City's chief executive, Garry Cook, about taking over in the summer.

Hiddink's agent, Cees van Nieuwen-huizen, told the Telegraph: "He [Cook] asked me if it would be worthwhile having a meeting to discuss the future and what might happen next summer. But I told him Guus was contracted to Russia."

City have now won one, lost one and drawn eight of their last 10 league matches and despite receiving unequivocal support from the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, and the club hierarchy in the past, Hughes is under renewed pressure to oversee an upturn before the January transfer window.

City face Sunderland, Stoke City and Wolverhampton in their final league fixtures of 2009, a trip to Middlesbrough in the FA Cup third round on 2 January and then the Carling Cup semi-final with Manchester United. The prospect of guiding the club to its first major final since 1981 can be presented as evidence of tangible progress by Hughes, who appeared to have revived City's season only a fortnight ago with victories over Arsenal in the Carling Cup and Chelsea in the Premier League.

City's owners, however, have higher ambitions for the season following an outlay of £118m on new players last summer – notably a sustained challenge for Champions League qualification – despite their acknowledgment that there will be inevitable dips in the rebuilding process.

Hughes confirmed following the defeat at White Hart Lane that he intends to return to the transfer market in January and the next few games are seen as key to retaining the confidence – and financial support – of his employers in Abu Dhabi.

The performance against Spurs represented a severe setback to those aims, while Gareth Barry's admission last night that the players were "at each other's throats" in the dressing room afterwards would not have gone down well either. "There is a minimum requirement in terms of work-rate and effort and we didn't have a platform to be able to get into people's faces and close people down," the City manager conceded. "We don't profess to be the finished article and that was shown. We have a big game at the weekend and it is important we get back on track."

The former Wales and Blackburn Rovers manager has overhauled City's football operation since Sheikh Mansour bought the club in 2008 and there is reluctance among the owners to start anew. Equally, they also want evidence that City can compete in one of the most open Premier League seasons for several years.

Hughes's task has not been helped by untimely injuries to defenders, the latest being the knee problem that has sidelined Joleon Lescott for between six and eight weeks. The England international underwent surgery in London on Wednesday to remove a piece of bone that came loose when he hyper-extended his knee during the 3-3 draw at Bolton Wanderers last Saturday. Lescott joins Wayne Bridge in the treatment room, with the left-back also out for six weeks with a knee problem, and with Kolo Touré bound for the Africa Cup of Nations next month the City manager hopes to reinvest in January.

"We will see what's out there," said Hughes, who also has Nigel de Jong suspended for the match with Sunderland tomorrow. West Ham United's Matthew Upson and Neven Subotic of Borussia Dortmund are among the possible candidates for a new City central defender.

The Eastlands club have a game in hand on the four teams immediately above them in the Premier League and Barry, Hughes's first expensive recruit for this season, admitted there is plenty of scope for improvement on the side's showing at White Hart Lane. "We are very disappointed and we are really hurting in the changing room and the lads were really at each other's throats," he said.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/18/mark-hughes-manchester-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city</a>

Would be hard to argue that replacing Hughes with Hiddink would not be an upgrade.

note also Conn in the Guardian arguing basically that Hughes deserves the sack.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/dec/18/manchester-city-mark-hughes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ark-hughes</a>

Please make it quick before Hughes transform our club to be Bluckburn completely in Jan.

I remember a post from Ducado (at least I think it was him) stating all of Hiddink's triumphs and well his CV isn't exactly what I would call great. Yes he did a great job at Chelsea, and could obviously handle big name players but what Ducado brought up kinda worries me about him.

I dont know much about his record and I might have worries because of that, since I have heard things and havent bothered to look up anything and am way too lazy to bother right now. I do however think he would be better than Hughes and more players would come to play for him as he is a bigger name and as well showed that he can handle a team of superstars with Chelsea. So I might have my worries, whether warranted or not I don't know but I hope whatever happens we start winning.

Abramovich will not let him go unless we are going to offer something stupid he can spend on a player like 30m. Abramovich has him contracted he would never want to hand a good manager to a rival so why even raise this unless you think we are going to pay big money for him to Abramovich so he can use it for Chelsea.

Also if you think that Hiddink would go against some of the most powerful figures in Russia and their allies without their blessing you are mad!

I think this has about as much likelehood as Baconface saying the one thing left to achieve in the game would be helping City top United and him coming in with Paul Ince as his assisstant!

EalingBlue2 said:
Abramovich will not let him go unless we are going to offer something stupid he can spend on a player like 30m. Abramovich has him contracted he would never want to hand a good manager to a rival so why even raise this unless you think we are going to pay big money for him to Abramovich so he can use it for Chelsea.

Also if you think that Hiddink would go against some of the most powerful figures in Russia and their allies without their blessing you are mad!

I think this has about as much likelehood as Baconface saying the one thing left to achieve in the game would be helping City top United and him coming in with Paul Ince as his assisstant!

Interesting and your probably right.

I can only speak of his experence with the Australian national side and i must say the man is a genius.

In October we faced Uruguay to try and get our spot into our first world cup in 30 odd years. He benches Kewell when we are playing in Sydney, throws him on after 30 odd minutes and the crowd goes wild, we score several minutes later and eventually see our ways through to the world cup.

Take a look at his CV and you will be impressed. The best part about it is that he can inherit any squad and work magic with them, without spending a dime more. He is a tactical genius however i doubt Roman would let him go to city considering his been paying his wages for serveral years.

If however, we were to aquire the services of this gentlemen. We would be in very, very good hands.

He is a great manager but...............

he is employed by the owner of one of our biggest rivals and one who in a few years may be our biggest rival.....

That owner has close connections to some of the most dangerous people in the world.

So unless Abramovich get something worthwhile for giving us Hiddink and gives the move his blessing it won't happen!

So we can discuss all day but it is pie in the sky!!!

I am also 99% sure our owners will have spoken to Wenger, Mourinho, Hiddink etc to suss them out and the fact one of them isn't already our manager is most likely because they don't want to be!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.