City losing three-goal lead

To Leicester iirc.

I remember some blues singing ‘going up’ after the game as I walked from the Kippax round to the North Stand who were coming towards me and I thought they were taking the piss!
Everyone near me was saying "see you next season Bournemouth", then the news came somewhere near the Denis Law bar.

Still have nightmares about the Bournemouth game... the conga on the Kippax at HT was a good laugh though!
First time my mate and I had ever said we should sign an opposition player and then we actually did.....Welcome Ian Bishop, what a player.
Only time I’ve seen a player since and wanted us to sign him and we did, was Bernardo.

Brilliant my dad would have been 90 2 month's ago sadly he passed away aged 60. A city mate at work dad passed away when we were at our lowest ebb 13th in the 3rd tier enjoy it while it lasts one life one love one CITY
My Dad passed away just over 2 years ago aged 86. The three City players he raved about the most were Doherty, Trautmann and KDB which is some compliment for Kev.
Sorry to go off a tangent from the original thread
With regard to the Bournemouth game that was definitely a game of two halves, which is why I am still a bit apprehensive until we score a fourth goal.

Pisser that but all’s well that ends well. The worst thrown away game for me without a shadow of a doubt was the rags loss in the centurions season to win the league. We should easily have been 5-0 up at half time. That will never be topped for me. A once in a lifetime opportunity pissed away and we end up celebrating after a 0-0 draw with Huddersfield instead.

I always remember a beach ball from that game being bounced around all four stands in celebration ? ?
Yeah part of the half time promotion party, we just needed one point more than palace that game and we were 3 up when they were one down, Jason Donovan on the tannoy like it was for most of 1989 FFS!

Stood on the kippax with my then young pregnant girlfriend and thought this is going to be Charlton 85 all over again. My future son will be at this game to feel his dads beloved team gain promotion, I thought at half time. Fuck of Wright and Bright I thought afterwards. But knew we would go up even after the final whistle cos in my head it was meant to be. Just like in 2000 when my 2nd lad was born just after the Blackburn promotion

Pisser that but all’s well that ends well. The worst thrown away game for me without a shadow of a doubt was the rags loss in the centurions season to win the league. We should easily have been 5-0 up at half time. That will never be topped for me. A once in a lifetime opportunity pissed away and we end up celebrating after a 0-0 draw with Huddersfield instead.
Completely agree. Left a sour taste in my mouth, that game. Probably the main reason that season isn’t close to my favourite.

Imagine winning the title against those cunts. In early April. That’s the stuff of dreams.

Last edited:
We have had a gloat over Spurs shipping three late goals, and some here have recalled the game v Bournemouth in 1989 - 3-0 up at half-time and drew 3-3.

There have been others, though - v Forest in 1968-69, our Cup-winning season = 3-0 after 45 mins, 3-3 after 90. Also (for older members) Cup replay v Newcastle at Maine Rd in Jan 57 - 3-0 up, then ending 4-5 after extra time.

But the worst was in October 1950 (promotion from old Div 2 season) - 3-0 up at Doncaster by half-time, then Doncaster scored 4 in seven minutes past Bert. Annoyingly, the last two were scored by our own ex-plater, the great Peter Doherty. And the crowd was 32,000.

Typical City
Wow, Bert and Doherty in one post. Even I'm too young
to remember that.
Loved typical City, a badge of honour!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.