City= many black players, but at COMS not many black fans

its a fair question for someone who doesnt know manchester that well or eastlands. now heres the answer. there is no race issue end of. im sure the guy didnt mean to upset anyone.

I can actually see where the OP is coming from to be honest, but from my experience City have always had a pretty diverse support, most of Manchester's Jewish community have always supported City, I think City fans (whatever race) have always welcomed anyone who was brave enough to take on the challenge of supporting us.

skybluekings said:
As a foreigner watching the City games live on TV, it is nice to see such a diverse team - now even with a black captain. However, the COMS doesn't seem to have many black fans at the games.

Is race an issue with city fans? In other words, are people of color welcomed at the games or is it expected to run into racists there?

Firstly "people of colour" is not a politically correct term, neither is coloured. The preferred term nowadays is BME which stands for "Black / Minority Ethnic".

Personally I think there are quite a lot of BME city fans... certainly I think we're probably one of the better represented sides when it comes to the ethnic diversity of our fanbase. In fact I understand that Sierra Leone has quite a few city fans, and even has a team named after us. The club is also actively trying to develop more of a fanbase in Africa - as demonstrated by our pre season visit to South Africa.

As for encountering racists at the game I think there will always be some wherever you go, after all football is reflective of society as a whole. Most racists in football generally cloak their attitudes under cliches of "political correctness gone mad" and often considering it part of their working class heritiage of being a "proper fan" and being able to say whatever they like.

One only need to look at some of the replies to threads complaining about munich chants or chants with racist overtones to understand that some fans sing these kind of songs to separate themselves from what the percieve as an influx of passionless, middle class, "prawn sandwich eating" fans who they blame for ruining the atmosphere at games. Some of these fans seem to take a kind of pride in their stubbornly outdated attitudes...

Obviously London sides will probably have more BME fans just because of the ethnic makeup of the city. Add to that the fact that over the years Chelsea and Arsenal have had more globally recognised BME players like Henry, Drogba, Essien, Mikel, Adebayor, Toure, Gallas, Eboue, Kalou, Song and SWP.

Now that we have the likes of Adebayor and Toure I think we have a better chance of attracting a larger BME fanbase... particularly if we are successful and start playing in the Champions League.

To be honest, I don't segregate football supporters on grounds of their race, only on grounds of who they support. So I really couldn't care less.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.