City Matters thread

I can’t stand UEFA so I would have welcomed City having a pop. I can understand City not wanting to upset UEFA but there’s clearly something more to it than that. I’ve no idea what it’s but our Club could have been embarrassed if loads of people claimed compensation who were the legitimate ticket owners. It might be nothing to do with that of course.

Could it be more a geopolitical factor and the owners of our club, never wanted to criticise Turkeys hosting of the final based on relations between the two countries have only recently started to improve and Turkeys president is notoriously sensitive to any perceived slight?

Sadly I feel it's all pointless and just an exercise to tick boxes.

Whatever the club do they'll do anyway, I suspect that very occasionally a Matters member will provide a point the club hasn't thought of and will be taken onboard but only if it ultimately 'helps' the club.

That being said kudos to Alex especially for the Istanbul report which was excellent & the other members putting some/so much time and effort into trying to fight the good fight.

I think there is an element of truth in your post, when people criticise City Matters and say what have they achieved, they should really be criticising the club and saying what have they implemented, not blaming City matters for the clubs lack of action.

With City matters they can only bring issues, from a fans perspective, to the bods in power it’s then up to them to act.

Like with the issues in Istanbul and the statement on the website, when we joined the Super League, the club only really plays lip service to us and will ultimately do what suits there chosen pathway.

For example if there is a discussion around a 39th match I have no doubt which way our club will vote.

Last edited:
Could it be more a geopolitical factor and the owners of our club, never wanted to criticise Turkeys hosting of the final based on relations between the two countries have only recently started to improve and Turkeys president is notoriously sensitive to any perceived slight?
Could be mate.

I applaud the efforts of City Matters and the progress they have made. It is especially heartening that their existence is now codified. On the other hand I can understand why the club would not want that statement to be issued. Can you imagine what the gutter press would have done with it. Another stick to beat our club with at a particularly sensitive time. I wonder what (if any) the repercussions would have been if it had been published as on balance it painted a negative story. I wonder what other club statements say. Where can they be read?

Keep up the good fight CM as you now have a great deal more power because of the codifications. I can see your influence growing and growing in the coming years.

Glad to see the recruitment of three new representatives posted already.

Very happy to answer any questions that prospective candidates may have.

In my view, I think it is critical that we gain three vocal advocates for supporters (not to say Mark and Simon have not been, quite the contrary) - especially on the matchday membership point, who have been really hit by poor decisions with sales.
Just out of interest, shouldn't City Matters be announcing and co-ordinating this, rather than the club? Is CM supposed to be independent or an organ of the club?
Good point. And in short, yes I agree. I proposed as much in a recent paper on reforms to City Matters in May.

Currently, the main sticking point with City Matters recruitment and independence is the shortlisting phase which ahs been controlled by the Club and behind closed doors.

As it happened, not surprisingly, the Club were not in favour of City Matters taking over recruitment. They did agree that I would be able to sit on the shortlisting panel and have voting rights, which whilst a long way from perfect, is a step in the right direction.

Part of the difficulty with City Matters' governance is that the group was constituted by the Club and fans invited to join - rather than there being a period of negotiation. This latter point is the reason why West Ham have struggled to form a Fan Advisory Board, as colleagues have taken a firm line with the club in negotiations. This isn't a slight on any of the earlier members of City Matters, as they weren't in a position to do something similar with the group already created. As such, it has been a journey from change within, which is sometimes difficult when the Club hold an advantageous position on things like recruitment.

I've attached the paper below.

Alex.

Any news of when the next North stand meeting is going to be with the club?

Keep up the good work.

Alex.

Any news of when the next North stand meeting is going to be with the club?

Keep up the good work.
Evening.

It was the meeting Loukas attended about two weeks ago.

I've just been clarifying what I can say with Danny Wilson, but there is an article the MEN did afterwards.

Reactions: jrb
I can’t stand UEFA so I would have welcomed City having a pop. I can understand City not wanting to upset UEFA but there’s clearly something more to it than that. I’ve no idea what it’s but our Club could have been embarrassed if loads of people claimed compensation who were the legitimate ticket owners. It might be nothing to do with that of course.
There was, and never will be, any excuse for the lack of club condemnation of the shambles of Istanbul. Thousands of SUPPORTERS spent thousands of pounds SUPPORTING City win the trophy the club said they wanted most. The least we could have expected was a bit of SUPPORT from the club after what unfolded. Alex did a fantastic, thorough and professional job compiling a comprehensive report of that shitshow, and what happened - nothing. I have every respect for the reps who give their time and energy to City Matters but for me the Istanbul debacle shows how little credence the club pay them.

It’s not a complaint, as if truth be told, I couldn’t really care less.

But I still found it a bit odd that it appears any Tom, Dick or Harry who’s created a free supporter number can vote in all the rep. categories bar one.

But the disabled rep. votes are exclusively for members of the Disability Supporters Association.

Glad to see the recruitment of three new representatives posted already.

Very happy to answer any questions that prospective candidates may have.

In my view, I think it is critical that we gain three vocal advocates for supporters (not to say Mark and Simon have not been, quite the contrary) - especially on the matchday membership point, who have been really hit by poor decisions with sales.

Good point. And in short, yes I agree. I proposed as much in a recent paper on reforms to City Matters in May.

Currently, the main sticking point with City Matters recruitment and independence is the shortlisting phase which ahs been controlled by the Club and behind closed doors.

As it happened, not surprisingly, the Club were not in favour of City Matters taking over recruitment. They did agree that I would be able to sit on the shortlisting panel and have voting rights, which whilst a long way from perfect, is a step in the right direction.

Part of the difficulty with City Matters' governance is that the group was constituted by the Club and fans invited to join - rather than there being a period of negotiation. This latter point is the reason why West Ham have struggled to form a Fan Advisory Board, as colleagues have taken a firm line with the club in negotiations. This isn't a slight on any of the earlier members of City Matters, as they weren't in a position to do something similar with the group already created. As such, it has been a journey from change within, which is sometimes difficult when the Club hold an advantageous position on things like recruitment.

I've attached the paper below.

It's why we need an Independent Supporters Trust - democratically controlled by and for the fans - and with the coming government intervention, would have to be taken seriously by the club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.