City Myths

The 1915 British football betting scandal occurred when a Football League First Division match between Manchester United and Liverpool at Old Trafford on 2 April (Good Friday) 1915 was fixed in United's favour, with players from both sides benefiting from bets placed upon the result. In all, seven players were found to have participated in the scandal and all were subsequently banned for life, although most later had their bans overturned.

This actually prevented Utd from being relagated too. Without that result they would’ve gone down. Utd and Liverpool weren’t actually punished either, as the FA at the time, said it was purely down to the players rigging the match. Only two of the players never played again, although one was reinstated but chose not to come back.

A few years later, because the scandal was confirmed, they decided to extend the teams in the first division. The two teams that benefited from this, Arsenal and Chelsea, who were elected into the league. You couldn’t make it up hahahaha

Last edited:
a few more i think - happy to be put right
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Liverpool were given a free stadium.

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
Ever get on talk sport or 606 with this? Ha ha

The result of the derby had no bearing either way on the rags staying up or getting relegated.
Brum and West Ham relegated them courtesy of their results that day.

However I would not admit that to a Rag and would happily argue with them that City sent them down
But it did. We won, they didn't. Had that not been the case, they may have stayed up. As it was, West Ham and Birmingham made it possible for them to be relegated . We merely put the final nail in their coffin.
A great day out, and I got out unscathed. It was difficult not to smile when you met a fellow blue - we did that later in the Fletchers Arms, Ian Niven's pub.
If I remember correctly, their previous game was at Everton, and the announcer readout the scores from other
matches relevant to their plight during the second half.. Docherty was not pleased, saying it affected the players! Unsurprisingly, when we met them, their announcer, during the first half, said that Norwich were winning - typical rag hypocrisy. At half time, a chant of "Birmingham, Birmingham..." came from the City fans, as they had taken the lead over Norwich.
The rest is history, and it's always a pleasure to to see a clip of the goal.

Time can play tricks on the mind Panther. Bradford happened on the same day and Hillsborough 4 years later, but everything else you said was spot on, it was dangerously full. I remember being at the bottom and being very uncomfortable against the fence until the old bill opened the gates so we could filter between the fences and white wall,I think that was a life saver(as well as opening the away pen). It's funny how my dad was at the top of the corner bit between the north stand/Kippax and me at bottom,yet he wasn't bothered in the slightest, different times Panther.
Yes, mixed up my disasters! No forgetting how scary it was though, due to what I've always thought was massive overcrowding.

a few more i think - happy to be put right
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Liverpool were given a free stadium.

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.

Post of the year and should be emailed to all sports media outlets

I missed quite a few out trying to keep it a list and avoid it being a rant. But as it was well received here's a few more. Starting with some Liverpool stuff that didn't make the none rant cut include...

• 1st english team of bought in mercenaries (Scots)

• Would have failed again in 2015 until they magicked out of the air alleged 'stadium development expenses' of £35 million from years before for the non-existent Stanley Park Project that enabled them to offset against FFP losses.
  • Their shirt sponsors are convicted money launderers, aiding criminal organisations and terrorists
    • https://www.forbes.com/sites/france...long-history-of-financial-crime/#357f82863909
      • 1) The Houthi rebels are responsible for many atrocities in Yemen including blockading food aid at the port of Hodeidah for starving Yemeni civilians.
        2) The Houthi rebels are financed and armed by the Iranian government.
        3) Standard Chartered have been find a cumulative total of $1.5 billion for repeatedly money laundering for various dodgy organisations but principally for the rogue Iranian government.
        4) Liverpool FC's main sponsors are Standard Chartered. The sponsorship started in 2010 and will run until at least 2023 which makes it LFC's second longest ever sponsorship.
        5) Liverpool FC, by 2023, will have received £280 million in blood money from Standard Chartered.
  • Ditto their sleeve sponsors.
  • Their owners have been caught cheating at baseball in the US.

• deliberately ignored anything to do with violence or injury as i prefer to draw the line there
also skipped some of the more well known stuff about us

• First club to win an English domestic treble: 2018/19 (plus 2018 FA Community/Charity Shield)
  • In the 1937-38 season we became the only reigning champions to be relegated. In doing so we scored 80 goals and conceded 77. Incredibly those 80 goals made us the top scorers in the division and our plus 3 goals difference means we are the only team to be relegated with a positive goal difference.

• City were fined for not co-operating with the UEFA investigation. Lifelong Liverpool fan Rick Parry, who was part of the Investigatory Chamber at UEFA, leaked details of the case to the press before it even concluded. No wonder City went to the independent CAS. CAS called the UEFA leaks in November 2019 “worrisome”. CAS found City not guilty of breaching the financial aspect of FFP stating that they didn’t use disguised owner funding to cover sponsorship deals.

• City being cleared by CAS shows that City didn’t break any FFP rules and that FFP is working

• City were fined €10m for breaching Article 56 which concerns co-operation and has nothing to do with financial misdemeanours.

• before the Kippax had a roof there was a flag pole with flag at the halfway line that just had CITY written on it. The flag had been with City from the 1920s possibly earlier. City FC written on it loud and proud.

We should have a pinned list of stuff like this that all new forum members should be forced to read. City fans or not. With a section on various clubs.

in case you're wondering i have strong dislike for liverpool ( but not for everton )

Every young player in them days was going to be the next best thing...it was what kept us hopeful...mind you it got worse...Alan Ball and Buster Phillips who was going to be the 1st £10m player..
Mind you going to the games when younger and with loads of mates was great fun .. regardless of the shite football eh
I played a bit in the stares with Ronnie Jepson who was at Exeter then and on loan to us in Pittsburgh for the summer. He thought the Phillips thing Buster was mad although he lijed ball. He even rangbhim to try and set up a trial at Exeter for me..i always wonder if only it came off, mad Alan the moved to City touted me as next world beater and signed me for £10m ..lol we had Swales then so anything could have happened. That close eh ha ha

I missed quite a few out trying to keep it a list and avoid it being a rant. But as it was well received here's a few more. Starting with some Liverpool stuff that didn't make the none rant cut include...

• 1st english team of bought in mercenaries (Scots)

• Would have failed again in 2015 until they magicked out of the air alleged 'stadium development expenses' of £35 million from years before for the non-existent Stanley Park Project that enabled them to offset against FFP losses.
  • Their shirt sponsors are convicted money launderers, aiding criminal organisations and terrorists
    • https://www.forbes.com/sites/france...long-history-of-financial-crime/#357f82863909
      • 1) The Houthi rebels are responsible for many atrocities in Yemen including blockading food aid at the port of Hodeidah for starving Yemeni civilians.
        2) The Houthi rebels are financed and armed by the Iranian government.
        3) Standard Chartered have been find a cumulative total of $1.5 billion for repeatedly money laundering for various dodgy organisations but principally for the rogue Iranian government.
        4) Liverpool FC's main sponsors are Standard Chartered. The sponsorship started in 2010 and will run until at least 2023 which makes it LFC's second longest ever sponsorship.
        5) Liverpool FC, by 2023, will have received £280 million in blood money from Standard Chartered.
  • Ditto their sleeve sponsors.
  • Their owners have been caught cheating at baseball in the US.
  • Liverpool owners forcing local residents out https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

• deliberately ignored anything to do with violence or injury as i prefer to draw the line there
also skipped some of the more well known stuff about us

• First club to win an English domestic treble: 2018/19 (plus 2018 FA Community/Charity Shield)
  • In the 1937-38 season we became the only reigning champions to be relegated. In doing so we scored 80 goals and conceded 77. Incredibly those 80 goals made us the top scorers in the division and our plus 3 goals difference means we are the only team to be relegated with a positive goal difference.

• City were fined for not co-operating with the UEFA investigation. Lifelong Liverpool fan Rick Parry, who was part of the Investigatory Chamber at UEFA, leaked details of the case to the press before it even concluded. No wonder City went to the independent CAS. CAS called the UEFA leaks in November 2019 “worrisome”. CAS found City not guilty of breaching the financial aspect of FFP stating that they didn’t use disguised owner funding to cover sponsorship deals.

• City being cleared by CAS shows that City didn’t break any FFP rules and that FFP is working

• City were fined €10m for breaching Article 56 which concerns co-operation and has nothing to do with financial misdemeanours.

• before the Kippax had a roof there was a flag pole with flag at the halfway line that just had CITY written on it. The flag had been with City from the 1920s possibly earlier. City FC written on it loud and proud.

We should have a pinned list of stuff like this that all new forum members should be forced to read. City fans or not. With a section on various clubs.

in case you're wondering i have strong dislike for liverpool ( but not for everton )
Ohh and founded by an man i believe, riles a few cousins of mine in Cork lol

I played a bit in the stares with Ronnie Jepson who was at Exeter then and on loan to us in Pittsburgh for the summer. He thought the Phillips thing Buster was mad although he lijed ball. He even rangbhim to try and set up a trial at Exeter for me..i always wonder if only it came off, mad Alan the moved to City touted me as next world beater and signed me for £10m ..lol we had Swales then so anything could have happened. That close eh ha ha
Well you couldn't have been much worse than Buster..mind you it might have been better if you took over as manager rather than Ball

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.