City Myths

City didn’t relegate utd, is the real myth. Utd knew if they lost to City they were down. They lost, they were down. No need to check any other results.
But they also knew if they beat City and either Birmingham / West Ham lost then they had one game left v Stoke to get a final win and stay up.
Birmingham beating Norwich and West Ham drawing with Liverpool is what sent them down. Even if they had beaten City they'd have gone down with one more game to play.
That's why the game was abandoned and City awarded the points (rather than replay the game or go back out and finish the game) because it was irrelevant what the rags did, they were down!

Charlton at home; the promotion game:-
This happened for the only time in my life, and it wasn't long after the Bradford and Hillsborough disasters, which is why I was shitting it.
I went to the match on my own. The Kippax was absolutely rammed. I had never seen it so full - even on many a derby day. I'd been going for 20 years at this point.
I moved around the crowd 2 or 3 times in the first half to try to get a better view, and when half time came, I needed a piss. How to get out? I headed toward the top of the stand, figuring that I could get to the long stairs at the back quicker than anywhere else. As I tried to get to the top of the stand, I - literally - was off my feet! I was being moved along by the crowd, with no control. Moving along without your feet on the floor is fuckin' scary, I tell you. I managed to get my feet down eventually and then headed towards the top of the stand, figuring that I could steer myself along the wall at the top with some control. Even up at the very top of the stand, I was still being crushed. It seemed to take about 10 minutes before I got to the top of the stairs, and then able - still in great fear - to go down the fuckin' stairs - because I was still thinking that, if someone stumbled, we could all be fucked. You start thinking of all the othher disasters - the worst ever at Ibrox had happened on the stairs. After a few yards, I bailed out and either went under or over the banister and went down the sloping embankment, figuring it was safer. Then, I was able to breathe freely. And, I'm asthmatic, and with the stress and worry, my breathing was getting frantic.
It was fuckin' horrible and still haunts me when I'm in big crowds. Having both Hillsborough and Bradford strongly in my mind - and not being with any mates at all that day, I was really bricking it.
So, back on track, the myth that City sometimes had more in the Kippax than there should have been - guys; we all know - at the very least, on that beautiful sunny and - fortunately - happy day, it was true. We got away with it - again!
But, only just, imho.
Occasionally, I've had similar experiences, but that day was the very worst. 40 years on, it still comes to mind when I can see a crush happening.
Time can play tricks on the mind Panther. Bradford happened on the same day and Hillsborough 4 years later, but everything else you said was spot on, it was dangerously full. I remember being at the bottom and being very uncomfortable against the fence until the old bill opened the gates so we could filter between the fences and white wall,I think that was a life saver(as well as opening the away pen). It's funny how my dad was at the top of the corner bit between the north stand/Kippax and me at bottom,yet he wasn't bothered in the slightest, different times Panther.

But they also knew if they beat City and either Birmingham / West Ham lost then they had one game left v Stoke to get a final win and stay up.
Birmingham beating Norwich and West Ham drawing with Liverpool is what sent them down. Even if they had beaten City they'd have gone down with one more game to play.
That's why the game was abandoned and City awarded the points (rather than replay the game or go back out and finish the game) because it was irrelevant what the rags did, they were down!
If utd had won then yes, other teams would have relegated them.
My memory recalls a few days of consideration by the authorities as to what to do about the remaining few minutes that were unplayed but really a replay was never going to happen otherwise we’d all be on the pitch if we were losing with a few minutes to go, in order to get the match abandoned, especially in those days. The result was never in doubt. Of course it provided an excuse, a myth, that City didn’t relegate utd.

Last edited:
If utd had won then yes, other teams would have relegated them.
My memory recalls a few days of consideration by the authorities as to what to do about the remaining few minutes that were unplayed but really a replay was never going to happen otherwise we’d all be on the pitch if we were losing with a few minutes to go, in order to get the match abandoned, especially in those days. The result was never in doubt. Of course it gave an excuse, a myth, that City didn’t relegate utd.
The result of the derby had no bearing either way on the rags staying up or getting relegated.
Brum and West Ham relegated them courtesy of their results that day.

However I would not admit that to a Rag and would happily argue with them that City sent them down

The result of the derby had no bearing either way on the rags staying up or getting relegated.
Brum and West Ham relegated them courtesy of their results that day.

However I would not admit that to a Rag and would happily argue with them that City sent them down
And Mad, I’ll refer to my original point that other results had no bearing on utd staying up because they had lost to City.
An excellent last point though!

Plastic dipper yesterday.

Is it true City are building an extension? Why would you want to do that?

Told him a byproduct of oil is cardboard so we've got loads of it spare to make cutouts of fans to make us seem popular.

He almost went for it until a rag chipped in and I had a rant at the rag.
Funny how they were bank rolled by one of the richest english familys during the 70s

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.