City Myths

a few more i think - happy to be put right
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Liverpool were given a free stadium.

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
Thanks for the very informative post.
My grandson is only 13 years old.so I've forwarded it for him to have some facts to throw back at his jealous school mates. CTID

Exactly this.
The acid test for me was Wycombe away. Midweek. Absolutely woman of a trip. Pissing it down in rain. We lost 1-0. You guessed it: I was there! :-)
I was in with the home fans but can't remember why.
Was in with our mob for the cup 0-0 when we upset the manager (possibly Ball) by chanting "Ee-aye-addio we've had a shot" when we finally managed one late in the game.

Reactions: PPT
Whoever was in charge of policing that day deserves a medal. He opened the fences up at the bottom so the crowd could get out and relieve the crush(I was one of them) and he opened up the corner of Kippax/platt Lane for home fans. If you watch the highlights, it's empty at start but after about 25 minutes it's rammed. He definitely did a good thing that day, especially when you see what happened in Bradford on the same day. Think possibly that MCFC got lucky that day.
Charlton at home; the promotion game:-
This happened for the only time in my life, and it wasn't long after the Bradford and Hillsborough disasters, which is why I was shitting it.
I went to the match on my own. The Kippax was absolutely rammed. I had never seen it so full - even on many a derby day. I'd been going for 20 years at this point.
I moved around the crowd 2 or 3 times in the first half to try to get a better view, and when half time came, I needed a piss. How to get out? I headed toward the top of the stand, figuring that I could get to the long stairs at the back quicker than anywhere else. As I tried to get to the top of the stand, I - literally - was off my feet! I was being moved along by the crowd, with no control. Moving along without your feet on the floor is fuckin' scary, I tell you. I managed to get my feet down eventually and then headed towards the top of the stand, figuring that I could steer myself along the wall at the top with some control. Even up at the very top of the stand, I was still being crushed. It seemed to take about 10 minutes before I got to the top of the stairs, and then able - still in great fear - to go down the fuckin' stairs - because I was still thinking that, if someone stumbled, we could all be fucked. You start thinking of all the othher disasters - the worst ever at Ibrox had happened on the stairs. After a few yards, I bailed out and either went under or over the banister and went down the sloping embankment, figuring it was safer. Then, I was able to breathe freely. And, I'm asthmatic, and with the stress and worry, my breathing was getting frantic.
It was fuckin' horrible and still haunts me when I'm in big crowds. Having both Hillsborough and Bradford strongly in my mind - and not being with any mates at all that day, I was really bricking it.
So, back on track, the myth that City sometimes had more in the Kippax than there should have been - guys; we all know - at the very least, on that beautiful sunny and - fortunately - happy day, it was true. We got away with it - again!
But, only just, imho.
Occasionally, I've had similar experiences, but that day was the very worst. 40 years on, it still comes to mind when I can see a crush happening.

Last edited:
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
Hopefully, you get a 100 likes over the weekend.

Good post.

To add - The FA Cup was actually more prestigious than winning the league for a long long time. Akin to winning the Champions league now, as European competitions didn’t start properly until the 50’s. Every team wanted to win the FA cup, it was the biggest trophy in football. We won it before any of the so called big boys and I think we won it twice before Liverpool did.

3 tines

• 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United

Post of the year and should be emailed to all sports media outlets

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.