City Myths

God, I feel old watching that. I was (naturally) in the Kippax and was stood above the tunnel, our usual spot to watch the match. For me, It's almost half a lifetime ago. Phillips was a latter day version of KDB with that thunderbastard of a shot.
Where's the time gone?

When I see these games, the theme from The Likely Lads comes into my mind.

Here we go again….

Liverpool first won the FA Cup 61 and 59 years after City and Everton respectively.

Up until 1973 City and liverpool had the same number of major trophies each, 8 so if City have no history when did liverpools history start?
Spot on!

It is a well known City fact that we were about to appoint Uncle Tom Cobley as manager, but the deal fell through at the last minute.

a few more i think - happy to be put right
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Liverpool were given a free stadium.

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
Great post, outstanding.

May I add that having posted similar lists over the years myself, the one thing I'm most proud of from my club's historic achievements is covered in your penultimate paragraph, namely the refusal to comply with the Nazi salute in Berlin's Olympic stadium in 1937.

My Old Man was a Royal Marine signalman in WWII and he often referred to this as an example of how you should always stand up to bullies and never give in to them. He lost his elder, Cameron Highlander brother in the fire fight at Kohima in May 1944 and along with all my Blue aunts and uncles, always said this was City's finest moment.

Like all Blues I've taken pleasure and pride in our achievements past and present. But this one thing, this statement, still echoes decades on and weighs heavier than all our trophies put together. Long may it continue to do so.

a few more i think - happy to be put right
  • In 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs(8 major honours each) and those clubs both had a European major honour but Liverpool did not.
  • City were the first of the current Big 6 to have won all 3 major domestic trophies and a major European trophy.
    • 1970 City
    • 1971 Chelsea, Spurs
    • 1981 Liverpool
    • 1987 Arsenal
    • 1992 United
  • Imagine back in 1888 when the Football League was being founded at the Royal Hotel in Manchester, if they’d said; “and we must implement a Financial Fair Play law”...

There would likely not have been 5 league titles in 7 years for Aston Villa, 3 FA Cup wins in a row for Blackburn Rovers, 3 league titles in 4 years for Sunderland...

When Newton Heath were about to go bust, there would likely never have been a Manchester United come out of that...

Arsenal would likely never have moved into North London, been fraudulently promoted despite finishing 5th in the Second Division, and there would likely never have been 5 league titles in the 1930s for them...

If there did happen to be a Manchester United after Newton Heath, they would have gone bust in the 1930s when they were getting crowds of 4,000 and had no money. Subsequently no club who had those historic spells in the 1950s, 60s, 90s and 00s...

Liverpool would likely have remained a Second Division club in the late 1950s and there would have been no historic spells of the 60s 70s and 80s for them...

• Citys 10th highest league crowd is 71,364, Liverpools best ever crowd is 61,905. ( City even had 69,463 when in division two against burnley )

• Up until 1976 City had won 9 major trophies and United 11 .Even when Ferguson became manager it was 9 v 14 , hardly a gulf in history.
  • Liverpool weren't even the biggest/most successful club in their own city at the start of the 60s, never mind biggest club in England. That was Liverpool before they were "financially doped" with dirty gambling money.
  • Liverpool are a completely manufactured club. Their founder, John Houlding, kicked Everton out of Anfield and therefore had a ground but no team. So he bought a load of players, mainly Scottish ones. He wanted to call them Everton as well but wasn't allowed so he called them Liverpool instead
  • Liverpools beer brewer owner, John Houlding upped the rent of the ground to Everton. Everton had to leave. Houlding had beer to sell and a ground to fill… starts a new club, pays mercenary Scot’s to come south and create team, decides to call team Liverpool. Beer washing, and clearly current day Liverpool fans have forgotten their origins (or the repeat of the 50’s/60’s)

• Liverpool were given a free stadium.

• Houlding loaned shed loads of money to LFC and when he died it was due to be repaid to the family. However, the family realised that the club wasn't in a position to pay back the loans and any attempt to force them to do so would result in the bankruptcy of the club and the total loss of the money owed anyway. So they gave the LFC a free pass by writing off the debt.

• After several decades of not winning much and being relegated, the Moores family pumped sugar daddy money into the club to buy them promotion, a new team and trophies.
  • Liverpool failed UEFA FFP in 2013 but failed to qualify for Europe so fell outside UEFA's remit for investigation and punishment.

• City are the last Club to ever win the First Division Championship/PL without an overseas player. Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Every one an Englishman ... well unless you dismiss Tony Coleman who was a Scouser

in 1937, in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin, English champions Manchester City refused to do the Nazi salute prior to the preliminaries of the game against a German Select XI. A year later in 1938 the FA ordered the English team to comply with the salute before playing Germany. Standing up to Fascist racists

Coventry play in sky blue because One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit in the 1955 FA Cup Final despite being a man down for most of the game. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
Excellent post sir.
Rags were also given a free stadium by their first Sugar Daddy John Henry Davies in 1910.
Their second Sugar Daddy James William Gibson saved them from bankruptcy in the 1930's and his son remained on the board until the 1990's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.