City or Liverpool to displace Utd as Prem League's top earning club

Marvin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51092320

It's old news in one sense. Deloitte are just collating data from football clubs financial accounts and we already knew that City were set to surpass Man Utd this season. This season City's deal with Puma kicks in which will add an approx £45m to City's revenue.

What I didn't know was that Liverpool are close too.

2018/19
Man Utd-£627m
Man City-£538m
Liverpool-£533m

This season Utd are forecasting £560m-£580m due to missing out on the Champions League so City's Puma deal should see us overtake them. But Liverpool are close too, however that was on the base of a season which saw them win the Champions League. Can they repeat that again?

Revenue generation is important because it underlies transfer activity. This is why for the last decade Man Utd have been able to consistently outbid City on transfers and wage deals for players. We don't know whether City will look to increase our transfer and wage spend to reflect increases in revenue or whether City will look to just take the profits.

This is an example of why PL clubs dont really give a fuck about VAR or empty seats at games.

When a club can win fuck all for donkeys years like Spurs and still turn over hundreds of millions then all that matters is being a part of the club and doing nothing to rock that boat.

Literally just being in the PL guarantees you a spot on that list these days and for the majority of them clubs the aim each season is just to stay up!

This is an example of why PL clubs dont really give a fuck about VAR or empty seats at games.

When a club can win fuck all for donkeys years like Spurs and still turn over hundreds of millions then all that matters is being a part of the club and doing nothing to rock that boat.

Literally just being in the PL guarantees you a spot on that list these days and for the majority of them clubs the aim each season is just to stay up!
In one sense yet, but the stadium is the stage. It's damaging for a club's image to play football to the backdrop of empty seats.

Neither Man Utd, Man City or Liverpool have that problem. For the first time in a long time there are signs that Man Utd's fanbase is starting to decline, however that is reversible. VAR is potentially damaging generally to the image of the game and I think UEFA are aware of that and will be making changes to the underlying rules in the Summer.

Well they're looking at splurging again in the transfer market not sure of the balance of Rojo - Fernandes but wasnt he 63 Million in the summer, id give you 2 wafers and an after eight for Rojo!
They might not be done there either, its going to make another hole in their accounts for sure.
I suggest both City and Liverpool can overtake them this financial year.
Liverpool can get to the CL final again this year and so might we, theres a lot riding on this Real Madrid game(s).

Trust the Guardian to report 'Abu Dhabi-owned Manchester City' and Liverpool threatening Man Utd's dominance.

Well they're looking at splurging again in the transfer market not sure of the balance of Rojo - Fernandes but wasnt he 63 Million in the summer, id give you 2 wafers and an after eight for Rojo!
They might not be done there either, its going to make another hole in their accounts for sure.
I suggest both City and Liverpool can overtake them this financial year.
Liverpool can get to the CL final again this year and so might we, theres a lot riding on this Real Madrid game(s).
I think Utd need to qualify for the CL or their decline could accelerate. They have two shots at it through the league and the Europa League.

We need Chelsea to get their act together and keep them out in the league, and Arsenal/Wolves to perform in the Europa league. The Europa League looks like their best way back.

Last edited:
City are 6th in the 2020 Deloitte Football Money table with revenues of £610.6mill.

City have dropped 1 place in the table after PSG over took City with revenues if £635.9mill. (I never knew League 1 was so popular around the World? ;-) )

The Scousers are closing in on City's revenue. Their revenue was £604.7mill

The Rags revenue is £711.5mill.

Barcelona are top. £840.8mill.

Or £240mill more than City.

Revenue increases.18 to 19.(stand corrected)

PSG. 94mill. (WTF!)
United. £46mill.
Liverpool £89mill. (worrying)
City 43mill.

Link to the PDF report below.

ABC865-A4-0-D48-4-A8-B-9-B44-5-D967810-E382.jpg

Deloitte Football Money League 2020 report. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/d...te-uk-deloitte-football-money-league-2020.pdf

City are 6th in the 2020 Deloitte Football Money table with revenues of £610.6mill.

City have dropped 1 place in the table after PSG over took City with revenues if £635.9mill. (I never knew League 1 was so popular around the World? ;-) )

PSG. 94mill. (WTF!)
United. £46mill.
City 43mill.

Deloitte Football Money League 2020 report. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/d...te-uk-deloitte-football-money-league-2020.pdf
When you consider the close proximity of the Scum to us, we are not doing too badly. Add both Clubs revenue together and Greater Manchester pisses on all other cities apart from probably London and that doesn't count in my eyes as there are far too many teams.

PSG. 94mill. (WTF!)
United. £46mill.
City 43mill.

Next Year will see the PUMA deal kick in with our accounts, so that will hopefully add a few more Pounds to the Coffers. The Main thing to take from this is how far behind we are in Match Day revenue to the rest of the top 6.

Next Year will see the PUMA deal kick in with our accounts, so that will hopefully add a few more Pounds to the Coffers. The Main thing to take from this is how far behind we are in Match Day revenue to the rest of the top 6.

On the one hand, I take comfort that our match day revenue is lower than the rest of the Top 6 - means we are not fleecing our fans as much as the rest of them are. I think our corporate hospitality income is where we fall behind and could do better. Not sure of the demand though.
Be careful what you wish for - not sure the fan base would accept significant increases to ticket prices given the general outcry when season ticket prices rise by £30+ per year (for the modest increase in income, I think this is a faux pas by the club FWIW).

Some quotes from the report

"Liverpool are expected to retain seventh place in next year’s Money League, particularly if the club captures its first Premier League title and enjoys a run to the latter stages of the Champions League once again. Whilst it is unlikely that Liverpool will improve its placing next year due to new commercial deals signed by Manchester City, long-term ambitions of a top five Money League position in future editions are not unrealistic."

"With City signing a kit manufacturer deal with Puma, starting in 2019/20, reportedly delivering a significant uplift on their previous deal with Nike and recently announcing a new deal with a training kit partner, Marathonbet, we expect commercial revenue to increase in the next edition of the Money League. Were this to be twinned with an extended run into the latter stages of the Champions League, it is likely that City may return to the Money League top five once again, albeit potentially not at the expense of PSG, but its great Manchester rivals; something that some thought impossible a decade ago."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.