City Signed Georgi Kinkladze July 15th 1995

I think its how people define exciting. There are 2 schools here. One is the Sergio, KDB, Yaya, King Colin etc. The other is the Gazza, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh brand. We all agree the first players get in your team every week and win you trophies. The others get you off your seats. ( And David is the best player IMO iv'e ever seen, and ive been going since 73/74.) But Gio got me off my seat.
For me so did buzzer,Rodney and Peter barnes
But I said kinky was the only one
Disagree

I think its how people define exciting. There are 2 schools here. One is the Sergio, KDB, Yaya, King Colin etc. The other is the Gazza, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh brand. We all agree the first players get in your team every week and win you trophies. The others get you off your seats. ( And David is the best player IMO iv'e ever seen, and ive been going since 73/74.) But Gio got me off my seat.

The best video to highlight this is his goal in the FA Cup against West Ham. I have wrote about it before but he had the ground spellbound for 20 mins, like no other player ever could.

For his goal fans in the North Stand were literally jumping out of their seats at the start of his run, probably more so than some of our fans do to celebrate goals these days. Not sure how to post it though.

Last edited:
The West Ham goal was fantastic ,it’s hardly been replayed ,but basically like all his other goals he only touched the ball with his left foot , how a midfield and defence couldn’t get the ball off such a one footed player was incredible!

The best video to highlight this is his goal in the FA Cup against West Ham. I have wrote about it before but he had the ground spellbound for 20 mins, like no other player ever could.

For his goal fans in the North Stand were literally jumping out of their seats at the start of his run, probably more so than some of our fans do to celebrate goals these days. Not sure how to post it though.

I have said so many times on here about that goal , the crowd screaming go on , as he went past each player and in off the post the roar when it went in , and the 20 mins either side of it , he was dancing and megging players like there where pub players , utter filth he was that day but not quite as good as he was against Newcastle

I have said so many times on here about that goal , the crowd screaming go on , as he went past each player and in off the post the roar when it went in , and the 20 mins either side of it , he was dancing and megging players like there where pub players , utter filth he was that day but not quite as good as he was against Newcastle

If memory served me correctly he did another mazy dribble, ‘lent it’ to another player and then shot narrowly wide. Pure genius. But yes around that goal it was just incredible, he had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Cannot remember feeling or seeing anything like that before or since that day.

I was fortunate enough to get sent a video of him, to manchester music, with a good bit of footage you never see on youtube. Some of it is quite staggering. One, if he had not shot wide, would have been one of the classic goals of all time

Kinkladze dances past 3 , pen , Rosler hits over the bar ( the dribble was amazing ) Hard cock QPR , wellies it home , City City

Saw his first game, at home to Tottenham. Early on Kinkladze floated a beauty of a pass, breathtaking it was, from the half way line, about 30 yards to where a City player would have been in on goal - if only anyone had had the vision he showed in making it. That was the story of his time with us. But he went missing too often and if he got clogged after five minutes of a game he did nowt for the rest of it.
Uwe Rosler scored for City against Spurs that day and if I had to choose between the two of them I'd pick Uwe every time.
I was there too at Maine rd when he made his debut, it was magic.
I,m not sure if he went quiet every time he got clogged early doors..but that did make me think of David Silva..how opponents would target his ankles with crunching tackles,but Silva always got back up and took the game to the opposition..fantastic professional and incredibly tough was Silva,Imo.
I do remember Kinkladze was often quiet away from home,notwithstanding the brilliant solo goal at Boro....I didn't go that day but remember listening to radio 2 and some commentator breathlessly trying to describe the goal...you could feel the excitement down the airwaves..think we went 1nil up and I was dreaming of an away win......we lost.
Overall,l agree Rosler,for me over Kinkladze......but it was still a pleasure to watch the Georgian maestro...on his day.

So you think Silva was better than Kinkladze at dribbling and going past players ?
Perhaps an unfair question..
Kinkladze played under Ball who clearly said to other players",just give the ball to Gio" he had a free reign,to entertain and take players on at will.

Complete contrast to Silva under say,the heavy tactical acumen of Roberto Mancini.ball retention and controlling the pace of the game were more important,ditto Pep and even Pellegrino.

David Silva was a wonderful dribbler of the ball,but only when really pushed did he take the piss out of the oppennent.. ie old Trafford,the 6-1 just before our 1st goal,Silva went on a mazy run on the right side of midfield,which took him right up to the Stratford end bye line..he was constantly looking to lay the ball off but defenders kept blocking the pass..so he simply weaved in and out of countless challenges...it was absolutely brilliant,but he was almost forced into doing it...the way he kept that ball must have drained the confidence of every watching utd fan and defender.....it set the scene for the out classing of the home team.

I honestly think Silva restricted his individual talent for the benefit of the team/ managers instruction...unlike Gio....who basically was the team,back then..in those dark days..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.