City Signed Georgi Kinkladze July 15th 1995

Good player in a shit team but I don't think he would have got near any of our Premier league winning teams.

Perhaps an unfair question..
Kinkladze played under Ball who clearly said to other players",just give the ball to Gio" he had a free reign,to entertain and take players on at will.

Complete contrast to Silva under say,the heavy tactical acumen of Roberto Mancini.ball retention and controlling the pace of the game were more important,ditto Pep and even Pellegrino.

David Silva was a wonderful dribbler of the ball,but only when really pushed did he take the piss out of the oppennent.. ie old Trafford,the 6-1 just before our 1st goal,Silva went on a mazy run on the right side of midfield,which took him right up to the Stratford end bye line..he was constantly looking to lay the ball off but defenders kept blocking the pass..so he simply weaved in and out of countless challenges...it was absolutely brilliant,but he was almost forced into doing it...the way he kept that ball must have drained the confidence of every watching utd fan and defender.....it set the scene for the out classing of the home team.

I honestly think Silva restricted his individual talent for the benefit of the team/ managers instruction...unlike Gio....who basically was the team,back then..in those dark days..

Not sure I agree with that, in fact I would say it’s the exact opposite. Silva was a player with the skill set to be perfect for the era of modern of possession based football, flexibility of positions etc. Complete contrast to Georgi who was bought in the completely opposite era, long before false 9s, inverted wingers etc, where the football, intimidation was brutal and old school managers/players were versed in 4-4-2 orthodoxy and the English mentality of getting stuck in, hit the channels etc. Probably only Hoddle, Keegan bucked that trend.

Comparing Kinkladze and Silva is embarrassing

Most overrated player in city history.

not even kinkladze would make it in any premier league team in 2022 the tubby little fucker.

he couldnt even get picked for Ajax and was in and out for Derby in the championship

Silva was ok at giving it Zabs and Kols each week with them lovely 3 yard back passes. Week in week out he got me out of my seat the way he flicked his hair , yeah your right he was the most overrated player we have had , but certainly not a bad player .

Definitely overrated. Half the time you wouldn’t have known he was on the pitch. While he was very exciting in flashes here and there, some go on about him like he was Maradona at Napoli.

Thought Uwe, Paul Walsh, Curle and a few others were all better players in that era for City. Just that none of them had those individual moments of brilliant dribbling that Kinky had but that’s almost all he had.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.