City Square open for testing

cleavers said:
Ticket For Schalke said:
the club also have to make money back on their investment for us

And they could so easily make a lot more money for the club, by attracting people to use the facilities they are providing.

not my fault! said:
if you go to giggs it's the same, the Rugby, any sporting event or even a comedy show! It's how it is. No one moans when we go Bolton and they charge £3.60 a pint and £4 for a warm if you're lucky pie, or Wembley and they charge £6 for a hot dog... Yet we follow the trend and all hell breaks out. When have the club not charged this? It's not a suprise, it's not a bolt out the blue like the parking issue (100% increase is a joke but...). Fine, I am ok with people not being happy but dont moan about it as nothing will change, City wont read this and think "oh shit they wont buy a pint at the ground" because enough people will so you dont matter. Like it or not.

It can become a moody wicket to think any fans don't matter, they don't need to charge thier own folk those prices, full stop. All they need to do is look for lots that cost multi-millions in order to shift a mountain of petro dollars. All this buying of football clubs is a new lark, some have not gone so well, some have upset the fanbase cause they don't matter (to be cont) If the prices were under market then it would prove cheap PR for our owners.I never like to hear anybody say fans don't matter, never leaves a good taste.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Project said:
It's not a local though is it. Any sporting venue, restaurant, museum or bar in London will charge you £3.50 a pint minimum. I get the Virgin Train down from Euston and it's £2 for a small bottle of Coke. £2.50 in the local cinema. It's sadly just the world in which we live in.
Don't know where you go in London but £3.50 a pint would not be the norm.
Prices at London pubs
by Roger on December 22, 2008

by Roger | December 22nd, 2008

There’s no getting around that London is expensive. At least when the British Pound is strong, this is one of the most expensive cities in the world for tourists. Some people who are planning their first trip here might be figuring out their budget, and if you are planning to spend a bit of time getting to know the locals in a pub, it helps to know what to expect. Here are some guidelines that should help you plan.

Prices of drinks in London pubsBeer/ale/bitter/stout

The most popular drink is, of course, beer, and recently the lighter-coloured lagers have passed the traditional ales and bitters as the beers of choice. A pint of beer will usually cost somewhere between £2.50 and £3.50, and half a pint will usually cost exactly half the price. Most pubs have around 6 different beers on tap, and usually each will have its own price, partly due to the tax on alcohol content, meaning higher alcohol beers will cost a bit more than lower alcohol beers.

If you are a price-conscious drinker, it’s a good idea to ask how much each beer is before ordering. This seems very peculiar to people from most other places, but if there are six beers on tap at one place, the prices might be £2.90, £2.95, £2.80, £3.40, £2.70, and £3.50, with imports usually costing more than the local brews. You might find that one of your favorite beers is one of the cheaper ones, so it pays to ask.

Cider

Cider (alcoholic/hard apple cider) is always around the same price, as is the infamous “snakebite”, which is half lager and half cider, and sometimes a shot of black currant syrup for extra flavor and colour. Some pubs won’t serve snakebites because they have been associated with thoughtless binge drinking by many, partly because they go down so easy.

Wine

Wine is always available by the glass or bottle. Don’t expect a wide selection in most places. Usually a decent glass of wine will cost between £3 and £4, with a bottle starting around £12. At some of the more posh places you might have to pay £4+ for a ‘house red’ or white, and the price goes up from there.

Spirits

Cocktails and hard alcohol are also almost always available, but they are handled in an unusual manner. Most pubs have pre-filled chambers below each bottle, which are measured exactly to .025 liters or sometimes a bit more. So you’ll never get a generous pour like you do in most of the US and elsewhere. And usually the shot is sold on its own for a set price, starting around £2.50, and a mixer is sold on its own as well. So a vodka-cranberry would mean buying a small shot of vodka as well as a small can or bottle of cranberry juice. The bartender will mix it for you, but they do tend to be expensive, so they aren’t terribly popular. A shot of a spirit and a mixer will start at around £3 at the cheapest places, and go way up from there. If you go to a proper “bar” instead of a pub, you’ll likely get spirits poured directly from the bottles.

Finding cheaper London pubs

Prices for drinks at London pubs tend to be remarkably similar throughout the area, except for places in some tourist or business districts. Most any pub in the West End (Covent Garden, Leicester Square, SoHo etc.) will charge more than average, and a pint might start around £3.50 or higher. The same is true in The City (business area) or in other posh or touristy districts.

Your best bet is to go away from the fancy hotel districts and away from areas with an abundance of regular foot traffic. You probably don’t have to go more than 3 or 4 blocks if you are headed in the right direction, because affordable pubs for locals are in virtually every neighborhood. Even near the northern part of Hyde Park, you can be close to Oxford Street, which is expensive, or Notting Hill Gate, which can also be expensive, and just in between the two is Bayswater, which is home to dozens of affordable hotels and quite a few friendly local pubs that don’t charge over the odds.

There are also quite a few large chain pubs that advertise drink specials meant to draw in the price-conscious imbiber. Places like this will usually have some pints starting around £2 each, or even below on certain nights of the week, though that tends to be for lesser-known brands of beer that might not be your favorites once you’ve tried them. To find these bargain pubs you’ll usually have to leave the popular tourist areas and head to one of the villages outside the center. It’s unlikely that you’d actually save enough money to make a special trip worthwhile, but at the same time it’s nice to know to look out for special promotional signs out front of pubs, because they will be the cheapest drinks you can find.

Prices on food at London pubsThe majority of pubs do have a kitchen that serves sandwiches and traditional pub food, as well as some more inventive new favorites at some places. Places that serve breakfast usually specialize in the Full English Breakfast, and that can start at around £3 on a special, or £4 or £5 when just part of the menu. You might need to pay as much as £15 for a Full English Breakfast at a pub in a tourist or business zone.

For lunch and dinner, you’ll usually have many options, including such starters as chips/fries or a jacket (baked) potato with some other toppings. Prices for items like this start around £3, and for around £4 you can usually get a simple cheese or tunafish sandwich.

Full meals in pubs, such as fish & chips or shepherd’s pie or bangers & mash, will usually start around £6 in cheaper places, and quite a bit more in some of the pubs in tourist areas. A Sunday roast beef might start over £10 even in a simple place. The food is rarely the cheapest in the neighborhood, but portions tend to be filling, so it tends to be a fairly good value as long as you like whatever it is you ordered.

Tags: beer, drinking, Pubs, recommended, Travel Tips, wine
« Pubs in London – What to expect and how to find them | Home | Astor Hyde Park in London – Trekker’s Hostel Highlights »
Did you like this article?
Print this article
Share it

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: Pubs in London – What to expect and how to find them

Next post: Astor Hyde Park in London – Trekker’s Hostel Highlights
Book Your Trip
Flights Hotels Vacation Packages Hostels
Depart
Return

Include Hotels for the Best Deals
Destination
Guests
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Rooms
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Check-in
Check-out

Depart
Return

Select: Flight & Hotel Flight & Car Flight, Hotel & Car Hotel & Car

1. Select your Destination
Choose a country Albania Algeria Andorra Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Cambodia Canada Cape Verde Chile China Colombia Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador England Estonia Ethiopia Federated States of Micronesia Fiji Finland France French Polynesia Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Greece Greenland Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guyana Haiti Honduras Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Malta Martinique Mauritius Mexico Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Zealand Nicaragua Nigeria Northern Ireland Norway Oman Pakistan Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russia Saint Lucia Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Scotland Senegal Serbia and Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tanzania Thailand Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates Uruguay USA Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands Wales Zambia Zimbabwe Choose a city

2. Choose Your Arrival Date
Nights 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 2010 2011

Or Sign Up for Email Updates

Explore London
Airfare to London

London Hostels

London Hotels

London travel tips for first time visitors

Museums

Things to Do

Nearby Locations
Amsterdam

Croatia

England

Edinburgh

France

Greece

Ireland
Italy

Paris

Portugal

Scotland

Spain

Sweden

Turkey

Your site here
Atlanta to London from $932 roundtrip.
Boston to London from $731 roundtrip.
Chicago to London from $862 roundtrip.
Dallas to London from $917 roundtrip.
Denver to London from $888 roundtrip.
Fort Lauderdale to London from $926 roundtrip.
Houston to London from $944 roundtrip.
Los Angeles to London from $899 roundtrip.
More London deals

About | Archives | Contact Us © 2010 BootsnAll Travel Network- All rights reserved
Useful pages:
Top Hostels in London | Globetrotter Inn | Astor Museum Inn | Cheap London Airfare | Eurail Pass | Britrail Pass | Cheap UK Flights | Airline Tickets | London to Amsterdam

Related travel information:
London Youth Hostels | London Travel Guide | Cheap Travel Medical Insurance | International Airfare | Flights to London | British Airways Flights | UK Visas | England World Cup Team

More BootsnAll Travel Websites:
Adventure Tours | Around the World Airfare | Around the World Travel Guide | Free Travel Blogs | TEFL Programs | TESOL Certificate | UK Flight Deals | Flights from Gatwick | Flights from Heathrow

Optimus Prime said:
FFS - I can't believe some of the ungrateful, moaning bastards on this thread.

If you don't like the prices, don't pay them - no-one's forcing you. But don't slag the club off for investing in the area and trying to make the pre-match experience a bit different and a bit more of a communal event for the fans.

I despair at City fans sometimes - never happy unless they're moaning about something, even when there really isn't much worth moaning about!

I think the problem is that the club are excluding 70% of the match attenders by charging these prices. Most City fans want to be part of the City Square environment but due to financial circumstances, they cannot justify paying an extra pound for a service identical to one just up the road.

As for those who claim that we need the additional revenue, well that's just bollocks.

Good idea, but it has the potential to be so much more.

Optimus Prime said:
FFS - I can't believe some of the ungrateful, moaning bastards on this thread.

If you don't like the prices, don't pay them - no-one's forcing you. But don't slag the club off for investing in the area and trying to make the pre-match experience a bit different and a bit more of a communal event for the fans.

I despair at City fans sometimes - never happy unless they're moaning about something, even when there really isn't much worth moaning about!

I think you miss the point a little.

By the way its not "moaning" its just discussion (on a forum - whatever next ?), why that's not possible without resorting to calling other blues who don't share your opinion "bastards".

As for the pissed up blokes by the family stand argument, for one game they should try an experiment, charge "sensible" prices behind the south stand, and "city" prices behind the family stand, and see where all the families buy their food and drink. (Obviously I know they couldn't do this because of the security of the away end, and police concerns etc etc.)

pbibs said:
bladdered said:
The outside bogs will be handy after the trek from Shambles carrying a bellyfull of ale (at £1.55 a pint by the way).

I have nothing personally against you my friend, but you are a prime example of why the pricing policy is correct. If you want to be smashed out of your face on 1.50 pints then that is your option. I would just prefer you didnt do it around a family friendly area.
Thanks for the advice my friend.

cleavers said:
pbibs said:
Have your 50p ready, they are not free.

I'm really hoping that was tongue in cheek......but sadly I fear not.

Also your comment to bladdered is all fine and well about family friendly, but if that is all City want then they will force many fans away eventually. Its his choice to have a few pints so why is that a problem to you ? Also why should someone who wants maybe 1 pint, and a decent burger be ripped off by our own football club (or any others before anyone reminds me of football prices) ?

If City want this to make money for the club, then they should want to attract as many people as possible, and not turn them away, stupid pricing does exactly that, and the stadium prices are utterly ridiculous (see Dubai blue post above, that it is dearer than Dubai !).

I would much sooner pay my money to Manchester City, but I will continue to abstain until prices are at least reasonable. They surveyed lots of us on this, and I know that most of the people I know who responded said that prices were TOO high.

U didnt read the post very carefully did you. I deliberately said that I had no problem with bladdered gettin bladdered, after all its his liver. What I do not want is groups of pissed up no marks staggering through city square making families and their children feel uncomfortable. I find it rather strange that so many people feel aggrieved over paying an extra 50p per pint and then in the next breath quote the prices they are paying to get bladdered in the local pubs. It is quite simple really, stay where you are. All this bullshit over the price of beer says it all to me. Seems like it is more important than the football. Funny nobody has mentioned that its a £1 for a cup of gravy on your chips, but then i donts suppose food really matters to the piss cans.

Obviousy the ideas behind, and the reasons for City Street have changed.

The original idea was to get the fans to come to City Street instead of going to the surrounding pubs before and after the match, so increasing revenue.

Perhaps the club doesn't want that anymore? Perhaps that never was the real intention? Whether people like to admit it or not, high food and drink prices will deter fans from going to City Street. They will either stay in the local pubs or just go straight to the match and go straight home after it, as they have been doing. So no change there.

There will be one change. The fans that used to go for a pint inside the stadium before the match will probably go to City Street instead. So if you want to get served straightaway, without big crowds and any hassle, go to the bars inside the ground instead. ;-)

pbibs

1. There are many, many responsible drinkers.

2. The price of gravy is incomprehensible. It's a swindle.

3. How many people will be attending City Square for some gravy?

Think about your post first before slagging every person off who wants a pint before the game.

pbibs said:
U didnt read the post very carefully did you.

I read it perfectly well thanks, my argument is about all prices, not just beer, its just an example of being ripped off.

I've seen plenty of comments about the food prices, which are equally extortionate in my opinion. You can get a meal in Asda cafe for under £4 for instance. The cafe down towards the Mitchell does a good meal for about £3, the Chinese behind the Mitchell does excellent english, and chinese meals for similar prices, and you get pleasant friendly service there, because it really matters to these people that you come back.

So far I can only comment about the City "experience" in the stadium, and its piss poor, and outrageously priced, maybe this will be better quality and service I don't know, but it doesn't sound any better priced.

Thanks but no thanks City, I'll spend my hard earned money where I get the best value for money, so if as a club you want more of my money then the answer is simple improve quality and service and reduce price to compete sensibly.

cleavers said:
pbibs said:
U didnt read the post very carefully did you.

I read it perfectly well thanks, my argument is about all prices, not just beer, its just an example of being ripped off.

I've seen plenty of comments about the food prices, which are equally extortionate in my opinion. You can get a meal in Asda cafe for under £4 for instance. The cafe down towards the Mitchell does a good meal for about £3, the Chinese behind the Mitchell does excellent english, and chinese meals for similar prices, and you get pleasant friendly service there, because it really matters to these people that you come back.

So far I can only comment about the City "experience" in the stadium, and its piss poor, and outrageously priced, maybe this will be better quality and service I don't know, but it doesn't sound any better priced.

Thanks but no thanks City, I'll spend my hard earned money where I get the best value for money, so if as a club you want more of my money then the answer is simple improve quality and service and reduce price to compete sensibly.

You said that in my post I implied that I had a personal problem with Bladdered. I intentionally said in my post that I did not. Therefore, if, in fact you did read my post perfectly well, then you deliberately misrepresented me. |On the other hand, maybe u cannot see the wood from the trees. Must be all that cheap beer ur suppin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.