City square

Was there yesterday... Looks Good!

Another thing I noticed.... the spirals have new banners on them.
Now saying 'City of Manchester Stadium'.. Alternating Blue & White

levets said:
Yep, I think they've changed where the names are on the banner now to your entrance spiral. Well, mine was anyway.<br /><br />-- Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm --<br /><br />Details of tonight's doings in the Square up on the OS now:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2010/August/Whats-on-at-City-Square

Reckon I'll pop in for a pint.

Those roof/shelter structures don't look big enough to me. I really want the Square to work, and think that the intention of it is fantastic, but don't want it to become a white elephant due to the weather.

If anyone has been to Clarke Quay in Singapore then they will have seen the roof they have there, it is kind of indoors but still outdoors (I think that the structure is also used like a chimney to suck up heat and humidity - obviously very rarely would that be needed here, but heaters could be incorporated instead).

Given the chances of horizontal rain and cold weather in Manchester then something a little more expansive would possibly be more use - by the looks of City Square on the photos so far, the slightest bit of wind and rain and you will be psed wet through.

This link shows what I mean - structure looks like neon coloured floating Jellyfish.

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/alsop/cq/cq.html

Not moaning, just a thought.

Munkey Boy said:
levets said:
Yep, I think they've changed where the names are on the banner now to your entrance spiral. Well, mine was anyway.

-- Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm --

Details of tonight's doings in the Square up on the OS now:

6.30pm - City arrive by coach at the Colin Bell entrance, with live coverage on the giant LED screens in City Square.
===========================
????? From where?

levets said:
Munkey Boy said:
Yep, I think they've changed where the names are on the banner now to your entrance spiral. Well, mine was anyway.

-- Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 pm --

Details of tonight's doings in the Square up on the OS now:

6.30pm - City arrive by coach at the Colin Bell entrance, with live coverage on the giant LED screens in City Square.
===========================
????? From where?

Probably from the hotel where they have the pre match meal and get together.

My take on this is its a quick fix whilst the bigger plans for the stadium and surrounding areas take shape. At the end of the day 3 months to knock something up from scratch isnt that long, they sort of rushed the planning through and obviously went for something small as a tester to see how it works.

Honestly I think this is a temporary structure for a season or 2 max, the chances are the stadium is going up to 60,000 at least we are getting a world class training complex on site, plus presumably a raft of shops, bars, restaurants. There will be hotel space, convention space other forms of entertainment (water park amongst other things has been mooted). Probably a residential aspect. As they say build it and they will come, the area might be a bit of a shit hole now but then so is old trafford / salford and look at Salford Keys, Trafford centre etc.

There is so much space and land around the stadium thats been doing nothing for 50 years the whole area is ex colliery, gas works and heavy engineering, there is well over 200 acres available in addition to the huge mount of land the owners have purchased already in the surrounding areas (its been estimated they own an area already twice the size of sports city) + sports city itself which is hardly over developed itself is it ?

All within ten minutes walk of the city centre. From the ideas that have been floated already this is a huge project, certainly one of the biggest privately funded leisure / entertainment developements in the UK ever by an individual - £1 billion without upgrades to the stadium capacity thats the same sort of money they spent redeveloping the Greenwich Penisula and the Millenium dome in London. Its likely to take many years to be completed so we are going to have to be patient.

If this comes off the whole of Manchester not just city fans are very very lucky. This really is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the city. It could well create thousands of jobs in one of the most deprived areas of manchester.

looks all good and ready for tonight. was there a couple of hours ago and about to go down now. pints look pricey tho. 3.60 a pint in the summerbee bar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.