City - United Post Match Thread

Top performance all round. It was beautiful to see us completely outclass them, and then destroy them in the final third. It could have been 6 or 7 had we been even more clinical, but yesterday was a pure embarrassment of the rags. We were solid, yet ridiculously dangerous. I think moving Fernandinho a bit further back with Yaya Infront was a very good move and made us much more dominant in the middle. Nasri and Kolarov, for people who usually get a lot of stick, we're superb and Nasri showed how good he is in central areas and also when he runs at people. Kolarov was a threat going forward and defending has improved. The likes of Aguero, Kompany and Yaya don't even need to be mentioned, their performance spoke volumes. This could be the springboard for us to put a really solid run together now, we should be so high on confidence, and if we play like that or very near to that level, for most games we should annihilate teams. Onwards and upwards.

Comment re whether we should have eased up after our fourth:
It came down to goal difference last time we won the league so we should be going for maximum goals in every game.
And, I've yet to see us score 8 or 9 in a competitive game and it would be nice to do it against the lower life forms.

Going to do that really annoying thing and link to my new blog:

<a class="postlink" href="http://newspoliticssport.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newspoliticssport.blogspot.co.uk/</a>

Here's the full article though:

Pellegrini’s City Make Statement of Intent in Derby Day Demolition

[bigimg]http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01814/pellegrini_1814510a.jpg[/bigimg]

Yesterday’s Manchester Derby was set up to be an intriguing and unpredictable affair, but what it delivered was quite extraordinary. With new managers at the helm of the two Manchester clubs a new era had dawned on this increasingly important fixture in the English calendar. The Ferguson and Mancini era had ended, now it was the turn of the two new pretenders, David Moyes and Manuel Pellegrini, to stamp their mark on this intense rivalry.

Both have points to prove. Moyes needed to step out of his predecessor’s gigantic shadow and make his mark at Old Trafford, and prove to the fans and players that he has what it takes to continue the glory days and step into the shoes of Sir Alex Ferguson. Pellegrini has to prove to the City faithful that he is an upgrade on Mancini in both domestic and European affairs, and prove that he will become a trophy winning manager in Europe.

The two clubs had come into the fixture with virtually identical records. United had been slain at Anfield in what used to be their biggest game of the season, now their most important fixture of the season lay ahead of them yesterday as they had to prove their worth against the top sides, having taken only one point from six against Chelsea and Liverpool.

City had to bounce back from three stuttering performances at Cardiff and Stoke and at home to Hull. Pellegrini had faced probably one of the most important weeks in his managerial career as the burden of expectation rested on his shoulders to prove himself and deliver. He had to demonstrate that he could win European ties, especially away from home and he did so with a convincing and at times spectacular 3-0 victory against Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League.

This filled City with a confidence that inspired them to the most dominant, spectacular and impressive win of the Barclays Premier League so far this season.

The big news prior to kick-off was that Robin Van Persie would be unavailable for United due to a thigh strain. Nonetheless David Moyes chose to match up to City’s 4-2-2-2 setup and it quickly became apparent that his team could not cope. City pressed hard and high up the pitch, denying them time and space. Any time United tried to pass their way out of trouble City pounced, forcing a wayward pass, rushed clearance or strong interception that put them back on the front foot. City were dominant, but needed a goal to press home their strong start.

That came after a quarter of an hour, when Rio Ferdinand rushed a headed clearance when he had time to take the ball down. Matija Nastasic showed great composure to cushion a header to Samir Nasri, and the reinvigorated Frenchman showed everything that he hadn’t during his time under Mancini. He ran hard at Chris Smalling and took the ball into the penalty area. He then kept the United full back guessing, whilst all the time waiting for Aleksandar Kolarov to make the overlap. The Serb duly obliged, left all alone by a lazy Antonio Valencia, and a cute flick by Nasri set Kolarov off to fire the ball across the box where it was met by a stunning flick into the net by Sergio Aguero. The technique involved in the finish was simply world class and the City fans were jubilant. City had started as a team and the fans were passionately behind them. United looked lost, uncommunicative and a bunch of individuals who had been picked apart by an intelligent attacking unit.

[bigimg]http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01814/aguero_1814500a.jpg[/bigimg]

City continued to dominate with consummate ease, but it took till just before half-time for them to double their lead. City worked a corner down the right hand side, and it was again Nasri who had a telling role. His corner was flicked on by Alvaro Negredo and was turned in by the knee of Yaya Toure who was no more than three to four yards out. Once again the inquest into United’s defending began. Marouane Fellaini had lost Toure and had decided to try and head the first ball away instead of tracking his man. Rio Ferdinand had been left in no man’s land and the United players looked round in disbelief as Toure had all the time in the world to stick out his knee and prod the ball home. City were rampant and were forcing United into basic mistakes through constant pressure and incisive play.

[bigimg]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70059000/jpg/_70059748_70058706.jpg[/bigimg]

Half-time came almost immediately and so began the most important team-talk of each manager’s season so far. David Moyes needed to inspire confidence into his troops, he needed to find a way of retaining possession better and get his team back on the front foot. Pellegrini needed to keep the confidence flowing and inspire the same start to the second half that saw City demolish Plzen with three quick goals the previous Tuesday. The latter came true in spectacular fashion.

Within sixty seconds of the restart City broke from their penalty area. Aguero started and finished his own move, playing the ball out to the right hand side before making his move forwards. The ball was swept to the left where Nasri, again involved, spotted the opportunity to play in Negredo who darted off the back of Nemanja Vidic. Vidic had been run ragged to this point and his head clearly hadn’t left the safety of the dressing room as Negredo bullied him again, and turned superbly to play a delightful cross with his weaker foot that landed at the feet of Aguero who could not miss. Once again Fellaini and Ferdinand were the culprits. No anticipation, communication and too much ball watching allowed City to punish the Champions with passion, skill, desire and agile movement. Despite United’s defensive lapse it was a superbly worked goal and no more than City deserved.

[bigimg]http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Nasri-Man-United.jpg[/bigimg]

United’s heads had imploded by this point and it lead to a quick fourth. A Vincent Kompany interception on Ashley Young lead to a brutal counter-attack. The City captain shimmied with the ball and played away Jesus Navas. Patrice Evra had decided to go back on holiday as Navas jogged up the pitch with the ball, taunting the cumbersome Fellaini who had no chance of catching the Spanish lightning bolt even when Jesus was running at just half pace. Here came the moment that proved Spain produces better wingers than England.

[bigimg]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/22/article-2429235-182C351600000578-843_634x416.jpg[/bigimg]

For so long we have seen the likes of Walcott and Lennon get into these areas and at best get a corner for smacking the ball at the first defender. Navas showed great composure to look up, take a touch, look up again and pick his target. His cross floated over the head of Vincent Kompany and right onto the right boot Samir Nasri, who volleyed the ball home emphatically to send the Etihad into delirium and United into shock. The champions had been obliterated in a fashion that even outweighed the 6-1 humiliation of two seasons previous.

For this was a 4-0 scoreline against 11 men within 50 minutes, and what followed for the following 40 proved the gulf between the two sides on the day. City relaxed, and set about an almost training session routine of letting United have the ball, conserving energy and working on defending in their new formation, it was a glorified practice game for them. United tried to probe but were woefully toothless. City broke two or three times with such ease that they could easily have had seven before Evra’s header from a corner deflected off Kompany and onto the post. Rooney’s stunning free kick provided scant consolation but rewarded the English striker for a hardworking and battling performance as United’s only player who could come out of this humiliation with any merit.

There was still time for substitute Dzeko to nearly add a fifth but the point had been made loud and clear by full time. City had beaten their local rivals, the reigning champions 4-1 and had been cruising for the last 40 minutes. United had been outclassed and utterly embarrassed by Pellegrini’s City. The attacking prowess of the Blues was more impressive than the 6-1 at Old Trafford in their title-winning season. The play was less telegraphed, less static, the attackers were allowed more freedom to interchange, play inventive passes and flicks and use their own footballing intelligence to pick and choose the right passes and moments to hold onto the ball. They also cruised through the last 40 minutes basically having a defensive and counter attacking training session. There was no need for a warm down post-match; City had had theirs during the 2nd half.

United’s summer transfer dealings had copied the same fatal flaw that cost City last summer. They bought late and didn’t buy their A-list targets. That showed as they looked weak and fragile compared to a re-invigorated City who were inspired by their new additions as well as the revolution that has seemingly gone into the games of the likes of Nasri and Kolarov. The ultimate challenge for Pellegrini is to keep doing that on a regular basis. He’s proven he can get his team to play that way, now they need to go on and take the Premier League and Champions League by storm.

For David Moyes, he needs to pick up the pieces and hope that Robin Van Persie returns sooner rather than later.

Both teams sent messages to the rest of football on Sunday. City’s was a message of triumphant rejuvenation; United’s was one of abject fragility.

East Level 2 said:
It came down to goal difference last time we won the league so we should be going for maximum goals in every game.
And, I've yet to see us score 8 or 9 in a competitive game and it would be nice to do it against the lower life forms.

Glory hunter. Where was you against Huddersfield?

Re: The Manchester Derby Pre match Discussion Thread

Postby davelyncooper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 am
Good morning everyone, bacon, sausage, eggs, tomatoes and fried bread sizzling away, sunshine and a 4-1 thumping for the rags. Happy days :)

Not saying I am a ITK but my post from yesterday morning at 7.00am confirms I must be ITK. For confirmation of any future scores please send me a personal message.

salfordblue-tony2 said:
East Level 2 said:

Glory hunter. Where was you against Huddersfield?
Stood at the back of the Kippax. I said I've never seen us score 8 or 9, I didn't mention 10.
And I'd like to fill the gap sometime. There were plenty of times I thought we might during Keegan's promotion season though. Yesterday was a great opportunity (as was another derby 24 years ago when we declared with half an hour remaining), and so was the 6-1 at Burnley a few years ago. That would have been marvellous for me as my first mega-win at Maine Road was 7-0 against the Clarets in 68-69.

Stoned Rose said:
Dont know if posted already......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554oiVncgFw#t=121[/youtube]

But Moyes looks on the verge of tears. Very very naughty little comment at around the 1.50 mark.

The FA should absolutely bum him for that remark the snivelling cheeky little ****.

not just saying this rubbing it in but he really does look like a worried man, think he is shitting himself and they do not win the league this year with him in charge,

Any links for watching the 4-1 again. Was at the match, but a little drunk, and only coming round :(

Every player in a blue shirt yesterday were brilliant . Great credit goes to Kolarov Vinny Kompany and Negreado . I was a very happy man driving back to Bradford last night .

Great game by the team; all of them were outstanding.

I had my concerns before the match, fearing our defending; but the game was a real masterclass from all the players; well done!

Also, positive impact and contribution from 3 of our new players; can't wait to see how Jovetic will fare with the team, in the coming months.

Here, hoping that this showing, is our "real" start to the League campaign.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.