City v Arsenal Post Match

warringtonblue said:
Does anybody else think we leave a massive gap between the line of defence and the goal keeper for free kicks?
I certainly believe we do because it easier for the attacker to get a good run onto the ball than it is for the defenders to turn and hopefully get something on the ball
That's twice now we've been undone from similar positions (Everton away), are the defenders expecting Joe to come for it ( but get there) or is he expecting the defenders to backtrack and win the header? Whichever one it is, it certainly needs addressing because we do give a lot of free kicks away around our box

Yes our defense has it in their head that they need to play really high up. I find this happens more when Kompany is on the pitch as all of defense except maybe Zaba moves up... This is also a problem with our CDMs, they should be able to play deeper when needed on a set piece.

Jullarkey said:
I know we've been well behind the leaders before but it just seems that this Chelsea team is more of a machine than the United and Liverpool teams we chased down in the past. There really is no room for error from here on in. We have to go on a winning run similar to the Dippers did last year, starting at Stamford Bridge!

That machine stalled rather violently at St James Park and White Hart Lane and was spluttering at St Mary's also.

The biggest folly we could commit is starting the believe the media fuck-fest over Chelsea's invincibility and inevitability. We are the team who have shown we can stay the course.

And we don't need to win on 31st. We should try to of course, but a point will not be a disastrous result. There will be more twists and turns for sure and if we are in touch in mid April, I would bank on us to finish the season very strongly as we have in our 2 title seasons.

chris63 said:
Was Mike Dean even looking when he awarded a penalty to Arsenal?

B7txkWXCIAEmQaa.jpg

Mike Dean awarded Arsenal a controversial penalty in the 24th minute against Manchester City on Sunday, and questions have been asked as to whether the referee even saw the foul.
Replays highlighted on Match of the Day 2 appear to show the official looking away as Vincent Kompany blocks Nacho Monreal off the ball inside of the box at the Etihad.
Santi Cazorla scored the penalty as Arsenal went on to win 2-0 against the Barclays Premier League champions, putting a serious dent in their hopes of retaining the title over Chelsea.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2916606/Mike-Dean-awarded-Arsenal-penalty-against-Manchester-City-referee-looking-Vincent-Kompany-fouled-Nacho-Monreal.html#ixzz3PH63btVz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3PH63btVz</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Apparently Mike Dean's day job is working as a guard in the Shadow Moses facility from Metal Gear Solid.

lasereyes said:
Jullarkey said:
I know we've been well behind the leaders before but it just seems that this Chelsea team is more of a machine than the United and Liverpool teams we chased down in the past. There really is no room for error from here on in. We have to go on a winning run similar to the Dippers did last year, starting at Stamford Bridge!

That machine stalled rather violently at St James Park and White Hart Lane and was spluttering at St Mary's also.

The biggest folly we could commit is starting the believe the media fuck-fest over Chelsea's invincibility and inevitability. We are the team who have shown we can stay the course.

And we don't need to win on 31st. We should try to of course, but a point will not be a disastrous result. There will be more twists and turns for sure and if we are in touch in mid April, I would bank on us to finish the season very strongly as we have in our 2 title seasons.

Well put Sir.

Have literally just this minute seen the penalty replay. Milners against Everton was Grevious Bodily Harm in comparison.

BlueTaylor91 said:
Tbh i had a bad feeling about this game. Arsenal were coming to us in good form and a record to put right. Also being it we have not been playing well now for a good few weeks...

Burnley home 2.0 up 2.2 FT
couple days later against Sunderland the same again but managed to grab a winner.
Couple of days later we basically had our first 11 out and nearly got dumped out of the FA cup by a Championship mid table side.
We then had a week to prepare going to Everton who were in terrible form and got a 1.1

We need to start with the same 11 vs boro that we will do chelsea. Get them playing together and get 4 or more goals...

I felt like that before the game too. We're starting to slip back into our early season form after that great run we had after the Bayern victory. We were too predictable and pedestrian yesterday, wheres the sense in crossing high balls into Aguero when he's up against two 6ft defenders? Middlesbrough is an important game, they're playing well in the Championship, and we can't forget what happened against Wigan last season. I hope Pellegrini puts out a strong team, Aguero and Kompany need match fitness, and get a good solid victory to give us confidence going into the Chelsea match.

Just caught up on MOTD and agree with the pundits that Kompany should have been sent off - i also think that this would have done us and him a favour forcing him to sit out the next game, which would also ensure that his injury is better healed.

Whilst i commend his determination to lead the team from the pitch, sometimes i think he forces himself to come back whilst still not healed and, as we saw yesterday, he was sluggish which isn't like him when he is fully fit.

Feed the Elk said:
Just caught up on MOTD and agree with the pundits that Kompany should have been sent off - i also think that this would have done us and him a favour forcing him to sit out the next game, which would also ensure that his injury is better healed.

Whilst i commend his determination to lead the team from the pitch, sometimes i think he forces himself to come back whilst still not healed and, as we saw yesterday, he was sluggish which isn't like him when he is fully fit.

I think that there should be a normal protocol for returning from an extended injury time off. First match back you come in and play 20-30 minutes at the end when everybody else on the pitch is tired and a bit slower. Then the next match can start, but would be a likely replacement at the end. This will give 60-70 minutes of match time. Then can go the full 90. We all know that you can't get ready for a full match in training. You have to play to do that. So why put the team in a tough spot? That being said, normally a Central Defender doesn't put on nearly the distance of a midfielder or even an attacking player. So there can be a bit of wiggle room.

munster said:
3. we swtiched off for the second goal which is simply unacceptable at this level; Fernandho the cuplrit but Lampard too didn't push up (which is why our centre backs weren't where the three Arsenal players were, including Giroud).
Wouldn't you question why a top club are trying to play offside on such on a simple set piece delivery? Defend the situation properly, top class CBs should be able to defend that kind of free kick with their eyes closed. We don't do offside that well anyway, take Bony's goal for Swansea at the Etihad, another uncoordinated shambolic attempt to play a striker offside.

lancs blue said:
munster said:
3. we swtiched off for the second goal which is simply unacceptable at this level; Fernandho the cuplrit but Lampard too didn't push up (which is why our centre backs weren't where the three Arsenal players were, including Giroud).
Wouldn't you question why a top club are trying to play offside on such on a simple set piece delivery? Defend the situation properly, top class CBs should be able to defend that kind of free kick with their eyes closed. We don't do offside that well anyway, take Bony's goal for Swansea at the Etihad, another uncoordinated shambolic attempt to play a striker offside.

Suggest you take a look at the Hull game last season. In general, we've been pretty good which is why we had the second best defence last season.

chris63 said:
Was Mike Dean even looking when he awarded a penalty to Arsenal?

B7txkWXCIAEmQaa.jpg

Mike Dean awarded Arsenal a controversial penalty in the 24th minute against Manchester City on Sunday, and questions have been asked as to whether the referee even saw the foul.
Replays highlighted on Match of the Day 2 appear to show the official looking away as Vincent Kompany blocks Nacho Monreal off the ball inside of the box at the Etihad.
Santi Cazorla scored the penalty as Arsenal went on to win 2-0 against the Barclays Premier League champions, putting a serious dent in their hopes of retaining the title over Chelsea.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2916606/Mike-Dean-awarded-Arsenal-penalty-against-Manchester-City-referee-looking-Vincent-Kompany-fouled-Nacho-Monreal.html#ixzz3PH63btVz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3PH63btVz</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

think the linesman had his flag up...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.