City v Arsenal Post Match

Eds said:
I can't believe how many people think that was a penalty. Monreal was on his way down before he even came into contact with Kompany. If anything we should have had the free kick for a dive. Also interesting to see that everytime he contested a high ball his arm flings out into the opponents chest but that was never penalised, yet Sergio gets whistled when he show much as breathes on opponents...

To me, it was a dive and a penalty. Vinnie tried to avoid impeding him but did ... it's ticky tack but hard to say he didn't block him to some extent. Monreal, however, had no intention of ever finishing that run and sought out the contact, so in my mind he dove. I think most who begrudingly accept the penalty accept that Vinnie just can't put himself in that position -- that professional foul style body block to prevent a run at midfield can be a smart play, but in your own box you can't step up there, it was just a poor idea really.

teddykgb said:
Eds said:
I can't believe how many people think that was a penalty. Monreal was on his way down before he even came into contact with Kompany. If anything we should have had the free kick for a dive. Also interesting to see that everytime he contested a high ball his arm flings out into the opponents chest but that was never penalised, yet Sergio gets whistled when he show much as breathes on opponents...

To me, it was a dive and a penalty. Vinnie tried to avoid impeding him but did ... it's ticky tack but hard to say he didn't block him to some extent. Monreal, however, had no intention of ever finishing that run and sought out the contact, so in my mind he dove. I think most who begrudingly accept the penalty accept that Vinnie just can't put himself in that position -- that professional foul style body block to prevent a run at midfield can be a smart play, but in your own box you can't step up there, it was just a poor idea really.

The offence occured just in front of me and as soon as I saw it I said pen. To be honest though, had it not been a pen and we carried on playing the way we did, I fear the result would still have been the same.

We are becoming very predicatable. So often I was shouting for someone to shoot as they well in range.

Hey ho, we lost deservedly, but we pick ourselves up and prepare better for the games to come.

It looked like obstruction to me and therefore an indirect freekick inside the area. What has happened to this rule?

BerkshireBlue said:
It looked like obstruction to me and therefore an indirect freekick inside the area. What has happened to this rule?
Still in place as far as I can see:

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:

- plays in a dangerous manner
- impedes the progress of an opponent
- prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
- commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx#5lqXixBHAWrZkkQX.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... WrZkkQX.99</a>

Prestwich_Blue said:
BerkshireBlue said:
Still in place as far as I can see:

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:

- plays in a dangerous manner
- impedes the progress of an opponent
- prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
- commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct.aspx#5lqXixBHAWrZkkQX.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... WrZkkQX.99</a>

By way of further evidence, penalties are awarded for Direct free kick offences that take place in the penalty area.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Which of the above did Vinny do, to warrant a direct free kick and therefore a penalty?

I really dont think we can have too many complaints with the result. We didnt play well and even though we had a lot of possession we just didnt look like scoring or even creating much. I know Navas will get a lot of stick but he did look dangerous up until his final ball and to be fair, no one else was really creating much.

In all honestly Arsenal played very well. They got their tactics spot on and probably wont play like that again all season. Some times you have to just take it on the chin and move on. We're still in the title race and have an amazing few months to look forward to.

What it did show to me is that Bony has a big role to play for us. We could of really done with him to boss the Arsenal back 4 around and combine that lack of physicality and Kun clearly not being match sharp, it really showed up for me.

GaudinoMotors said:
blue underpants said:
Just got in more than worse for wear, only flicked through the thread and I think some on here need to give their fannys a wipe, thank fuck some of you weren't around for most of the 80s n 90s, fuckin pussys

Great

We had not spent a quarter of a billion on the team in the 80s and 90s. Makes a bit of a difference.

willipp said:
I really dont think we can have too many complaints with the result. We didnt play well and even though we had a lot of possession we just didnt look like scoring or even creating much. I know Navas will get a lot of stick but he did look dangerous up until his final ball and to be fair, no one else was really creating much.

In all honestly Arsenal played very well. They got their tactics spot on and probably wont play like that again all season. Some times you have to just take it on the chin and move on. We're still in the title race and have an amazing few months to look forward to.

What it did show to me is that Bony has a big role to play for us. We could of really done with him to boss the Arsenal back 4 around and combine that lack of physicality and Kun clearly not being match sharp, it really showed up for me.

Fair enough, mate.

However, please explain what the point of Navas is when his final ball was so poor. 1 out of 9 made it to a team mate. As for creativity, Silva could have played there [approx] and Lampard in the middle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.