City v Barca

while barca as a team are playing badly by their standards messi would be up for a big game which we would be classed as and I don't think we could stop him scoring tom be honest.

so to beat them I think we would need to score three goals and I honestly we wouldn't be able to do that.

if we played them without messi we would probably win

If you matched up the two strongest sides available, then no; I don't think we're at that level yet. Don't forget the CL final back in May when Barca toyed with the current (like it or not) English champions and played football at a different level to anyone else. We are getting there but, as Mr Wolf might say;
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hark.com/clips/qysslsglvw-well-lets-not-start-sucking-each-others-dicks-quite-yet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hark.com/clips/qysslsglvw-we ... -quite-yet</a>

The notion that Barca is off form at the moment is as false as declaring Messi being off form after not scoring in 3 games.

We have played different formations and players until now. Players like Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and Pedro are rested a lot. Only attacking player who is playing every game at the moment is Messi. Even though Xavi, Pedro and Iniesta didn't play in our 2 last matches and Villa was subbed in one and didn't play the other we won 4-0 and 5-0.

For many people it might look like we are off form at the moment but i simply feel that the fluidity in our game seems not as great as last season dur to the fact that Thiago, Fabregas and Keita are getting more minutes and Xavi and Iniesta are rested a lot. In addition, Pep is playing 3-4-3 formations in some games to see how it will work.

During Guardiola's reign, we have always peaked in September and then our form dipped through Jan-february. I believe Guardiola is resting Villa, Pedro, Iniesta and Xavi as much as he can now because he don't want to see dip in form this season. We can't simply afford to loose our form during January and February because Real Madrid is really breathing in our neck and we can't afford any slip up.

Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro and Villa are the players that do most running in this Barcelona side. Last season during some games Pedro and Villa looked very tired. Xavi and Iniesta are constnatly running in the midfield and they too gets tired if they are played every game. Alves is the only player who seems unaffected of all this running. Therefore, my view is that Pep is resting Villa, Pedro, Xavi and Iniesta intentionally. He wants these players as fresh as possible when the business end of the season comes.

Therefore, my answer to the OP is, even though we are looking not as brilliant as last season, we can pick up our game immediately. If we are to play City next week our starting 11 will be the exact starting 11 we had against ManU in Wembley. I don't think your team is prepared to take on us yet.

You have a great team at the moment and you are playing brilliantly. But don't forget this Barcelona team is the same team who comfortabely beat Manchester United 2-0(it should have been more) when they had players like Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo. EPL is completly different from CL, and for some reason English team finds it very hard to play against continental teams.

So my take on this is, you should first beat Bayern Munich before you can even think of winning against this Barcelona team. If you beat this Bayern side, i will be seriously worried about your team but until then i still believe we will be too strong for you.

At Nou Camp: 3-0ish to Barca
At Etihad: 1-0ish to Barca, 1-1 if we're lucky

We're still miles behind them. Look at what happened when we played a real high quality European side, Bayern Munich. The rags are not in the league of Real, Barca, and Bayern, and only made the CL final last season because of a ridiculously easy passage (Valencia/Rangers/Bursaspor in the group stage, Marseille -> out-of-form Chelsea -> overachieving Schalke in the knockout rounds before getting owned by Barca in the final).

Nope.<br /><br />-- Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:08 pm --<br /><br />
ilovefotball said:
You have a great team at the moment and you are playing brilliantly. But don't forget this Barcelona team is the same team who comfortabely beat Manchester United 2-0(it should have been more) when they had players like Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo. EPL is completly different from CL, and for some reason English team finds it very hard to play against continental teams.
Ok number 1, the Barcelona team of 2009 plays a different game to the Barcelona team now. Totally different.
Number 2, Premier League team have been the most successful teams in Europe of previous 5-10 years. Every season it is always English team will be very far in the Champions League.

conormcfc said:
TCIB said:
I respect your view but i feel you give Barca to much respect. If Messi was out/man marked by De Jong i would put cash on Vince keeping Villa tucked in his back pocket.
Then you have to deal with Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Sanchez and Alves bombing on.

The 6-1 has clouded people's judgement. Barca or Real still have way too much for us at the moment.

Rubbish, its not like we have 3-4 clowns in our midfield, we would give as good as we get.

My judgement is sound thanks.

Some people think Barca are invincible and they are just not. Stick it to them and any team can get flustered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.