City v Chelsea Post Match Thread

adr2.8i said:
This defeat could be a good wake up call for us. We're not the finished article yet (despite what everyone has been writing about us in the media) and im 100% positive we will become a better team for it.

sometimes you just have to say you were beaten by a better team on the night, and whilst its disapointing to lose, in the grand scheme of things we have SO MUCH too look forward to over the coming years its frightening really.
But was it a wake up call for Pellers and his tactics against Europe's best teams? Will he change tactics for the FA Cup game? Were yesterday's intransigent tactics partly a ploy to lull Mourinho into a false sense of security for that game? I can but hope.

Plaything of the gods said:
adr2.8i said:
This defeat could be a good wake up call for us. We're not the finished article yet (despite what everyone has been writing about us in the media) and im 100% positive we will become a better team for it.

sometimes you just have to say you were beaten by a better team on the night, and whilst its disapointing to lose, in the grand scheme of things we have SO MUCH too look forward to over the coming years its frightening really.
But was it a wake up call for Pellers and his tactics against Europe's best teams? Will he change tactics for the FA Cup game? Were yesterday's intransigent tactics partly a ploy to lull Mourinho into a false sense of security for that game? I can but hope.

Barcelona will not setup like Chelsea did, if we have all our players fit I think we can pass the Barcelona test quite easily because they predictably play the same every week and they are weak at the back, Valencia had a field day the other day against them. The problem is we could get Chelsea in the next round or another team like Bayern who aren't so stupid tactically. We should of setup to defend and control the game last night with as many midfielders as we could manage and 1 striker, not trying to destroy them.

Didn't like losing to them but I can live with it. We've been on an amazing run and we can continue it if we don't let one result grind us down

City had more attempts on goal last night than vs Utd / Arsenal / Spurs / Liverpool / Everton...but just 3 on target.

Chelsea played well...but we still had a lot of the ball, just very wasteful in front of goal.

Silva's finishing still weakest part of his game...Dzeko fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions...Toure nearly scored sliding in.
Any of these half-chances go in...and it's a different game.

Don't agree with vitriol against DeMichelis...not his fault he hasn't got energy levels of Fernandinho.
Negredo was pretty invisible + shouldn't have started if not fully fit.
Thought Navas worked very hard + very encouraged by increased energy / pace shown by Jovetic when he came on.

Media are getting carried away with how good Chelsea were.

Don't get me wrong, they were excellent for about 30 minutes either side of half time, but before that we were better and after that they sat back and defended.

We score any of the really close chances we had in the opening 20 and I reckon not one person would be jerking off to Mourinho today. Their goal made us shit the bed in defense and that was when they really got going.

bobmcfc said:
Didn't like losing to them but I can live with it. We've been on an amazing run and we can continue it if we don't let one result grind us down
It was a shame we lost but at the end of the day it's not a shambols and far from it. They made Joe work a few times, hit the post and bar twice as well as messing up a 4 on 2 at one stage, it could have been far worse. We were beaten by the better side and they played the counter attack very well. We should be and I think the majority of us do accept we were second best in most areas last night. Remember Liverpool derserved a pt here, Hull put a good fight, Palace nearly took a pt and nearly all 3 it hasn't been as one way as the 11 wins show sometimes, with 14 games to go there will be plenty more twists and turns. We move on and we start at Norwich this weekend.

adr2.8i said:

Sometimes you can over analyse. Pellegrini had only one target yesterday which was to beat Chelsea and put 6 points daylight over them.

The reason Chelsea won was smarter tactics combined with what turned out to be the decisive loss of Fernandinho, in particular and Aguero.

Chelsea dominated the midfield and might have won by more than one goal as they made some really good chances.

You have to question 4-4-2 in the absence of Fernandinho, especially in these big tactically and technically demanding matches.

De Michelis is not an adequate replacement for Fernandinho and both he and Toure were often overrun by Chelsea's midfield 3 of Ramires Luiz and Matic, the latter deservedly MoM. You can see why few teams do 4-4-2 as that system often leads to a midfield pair having to cope with 3 midfielders up against them meaning they can't get the time or space to find their attackers.

Chelsea basically suffocated you and you couldn't get decent ball to Dzeko (who seemed off the pace) and Negredo.

If Aguero had played maybe it would have been a different outcome because his movement and ability to find space is arguably second to none and he links up so well with Silva.

Toure is a great player but yesterday we saw why sometimes he can be frustrating occasionally abandoning his defensive duties leaving poor old De Michelis to fend for himself.

At least you won't have to play them again and let's face it no other manager is as tactically astute as Mourinho.

CITY FOR LIFE said:
bobmcfc said:
It was a shame we lost but at the end of the day it's not a shambols and far from it. They made Joe work a few times, hit the post and bar twice as well as messing up a 4 on 2 at one stage, it could have been far worse. We were beaten by the better side and they played the counter attack very well. We should be and I think the majority of us do accept we were second best in most areas last night. Remember Liverpool derserved a pt here, Hull put a good fight, Palace nearly took a pt and nearly all 3 it hasn't been as one way as the 11 wins show sometimes, with 14 games to go there will be plenty more twists and turns. We move on and we start at Norwich this weekend.
There was a time earlier in the season where I didn't believe in the manager or his methods but I can say now that I am ALL IN and we can do this ! It never feels good to lose but we have so many important games coming up and can't afford to lose focus

Gillespie said:
adr2.8i said:

Sometimes you can over analyse. Pellegrini had only one target yesterday which was to beat Chelsea and put 6 points daylight over them.

The reason Chelsea won was smarter tactics combined with what turned out to be the decisive loss of Fernandinho, in particular and Aguero.

Chelsea dominated the midfield and might have won by more than one goal as they made some really good chances.

You have to question 4-4-2 in the absence of Fernandinho, especially in these big tactically and technically demanding matches.

De Michelis is not an adequate replacement for Fernandinho and both he and Toure were often overrun by Chelsea's midfield 3 of Ramires Luiz and Matic, the latter deservedly MoM. You can see why few teams do 4-4-2 as that system often leads to a midfield pair having to cope with 3 midfielders up against them meaning they can't get the time or space to find their attackers.

Chelsea basically suffocated you and you couldn't get decent ball to Dzeko (who seemed off the pace) and Negredo.

If Aguero had played maybe it would have been a different outcome because his movement and ability to find space is arguably second to none and he links up so well with Silva.

Toure is a great player but yesterday we saw why sometimes he can be frustrating occasionally abandoning his defensive duties leaving poor old De Michelis to fend for himself.

At least you won't have to play them again and let's face it no other manager is as tactically astute as Mourinho.
Apart from when they knock us out of the FA Cup!

Tricky_Trev said:
Gillespie said:

Apart from when they knock us out of the FA Cup!

Of course, I was just referring to the league

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.