City v Chelsea post match

Well I think you know my opinions on the way we set up over the last couple of years and the demands that puts on the defenders. Just my opinion but when we were doing better with the pressing high up the pitch early this season it seemed to me that we were winning the ball back quickly (and regularly) or at the very least that pressing was seriously hindering opposition counter attacks. At that point there was nothing like the same demands on the defenders. Now that we aren't pressing as effectively up the pitch we are right back to the same demands on the defenders as we had last season so no surprise to see the likes of Otamendi and Kolarov floundering again. I have no doubt that we will buy new defenders and if they are better players they will cope with any demands put on them better but the real solution IMO is to get the pressing sorted again so that our defenders aren't facing those one on ones with the same regularity. Otamendi may be able to deal with being exposed very occasionally and make good decisions but the more it happens the greater the stress and the more he's going to dive in and fuck things up. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we are still pressing high up with the same intensity but personally I just don't see it and I don't think it is a coincidence that our defending is unravelling in correlation with that.

The press wasn't the problem against Chelsea nor against Everton nor against Southampton - maybe against Boro a little bit. Ultimately you can try and dress it up however you want to fit whatever narrative you want, but we miss too many chances to be a top team right now. Defending is second to that, and will remain second to that while Pep is in charge.

Still fucking livid.

By far the better team yet still the media lauding Chelsea as 'dominant' and 'City torn apart'. Simply not true.
What is true though, is that Bravo is in no way good enough, Willy has shown to be a better keeper in the games he's played; and Kolorov is getting worse every game after starting the season so well.
Most of the media I have noticed seem to have the same view as myself. We were the better team for an hour failed to take our chances then our suspect defence was "torn apart" and then in anger borne out of frustration we imploded at the end. Not sure Willy would have saved those shots but you would fancy that Joe might have got to one or two. Can't really blame the keeper for crap defending in front of him. With all the excitement after the break it has largely been over looked that schoolboy errors in the first half at the back almost gifted them 2 goals that would have undid all our hard work to get our noses in front.

As we all know, so many things happened on Saturday that it is almost pointless trying to analyse what went wrong during the game once Taylor had made his benchmark decision......Worrying things that are current and are on-going problems are a complete lack of defensive shape/cover.....one long ball punt from the opposition causes us problems compared to our 50 passes. We have spent £50 million on Sane and Nolito to give us a left-sided attacking option and at the moment neither looks to be the answer, we have bought an inferior goalkeeper for £17 million and we have a £47 million centre-back who looks good on the ball but is making as many mistakes as Mangala. We are still in a good position but we seem to lack pace, fitness and physicality and if Arsenal score early against us I dread to think what might happen. I'm sure things will be fine in time as rejuvenating us from last season was always going to be a big task but as it stands I think we'll be hard pressed to win the league and reach the latter stages of the Champs League

Our strength isn't defending, it's attacking. Which is probably why we play such a high line and our defenders are in the centre circle most games. If they were to drop 20 yards deeper the midfield would have to do the same and before you know it we'll be a Mourinho team and not a Pep one.

Also, it's important that over the medium/long term the squad of players understand what it is that's required of them. If Pep simply gives up his own philosophy to make things easier for certain player when will the players learn how to play his way?

Pre season, with players suitable to do the job.

We should have dropped deeper v Middlesborough when 1-0 , but we went tits out for a second when we didn't need to and the rest is history-I totally get the attacking side of the argument with suitable players who are fit, motivated and technically good enough to do it then yes it will work but not with Otimendi, Kolorov, Zabba or Clichy as defenders-and for the record we have the best manager around to implement it -and we will.

We don't even look like a Pep team of late Billy, be great to hear your angle on it.

The very least Pep can do with substandard players is play to our strengths which he simply isn't doing- the main one playing a settled formation week in week out, if he couldn't sign the players he wanted then surely that just makes the case stronger to play a system that suits the players we have, we have no pace at the back everyone on here agrees with that, don't have Otimendi and Kolorov/Stones occupying the centre circle when we have possession in the opponents penalty box-we have conceded goals to championship style football-hump it over our defenders heads, or pass it down the byline only to watch Otimendi sliding around on his arse or Kolorov trying to run backwards chasing Willian.

Come on, this isn't even an argument. It's barely even a sentence. It's a rant.

You admit we don't have the personnel, despite what Pep planned in the summer, in our back four. Yet at the same time, you complain there's not enough pace at the back. This is Pep's fault. Bizarre.

So yes Pep has to shoulder some of the blame-hes not exempt from criticism just because of his past glory.

Nice taking down the strawman there mate.

At what stage do we see if Maffeo and Angelino are good enough?

We've seen plenty of Maffeo and Angelino, where have you been?

News flash: two 19 year olds, who are the perfect age to be training under Pep and learning his system, won't be regular contributors to a team in our position.

Of course, you only want something to blame Pep for. This isn't even the Pep Guardiola thread and somehow you've managed to vomit the same turgid bile on here as there. It's stupid, mindless and completely divorced from reality.

The press wasn't the problem against Chelsea nor against Everton nor against Southampton - maybe against Boro a little bit. Ultimately you can try and dress it up however you want to fit whatever narrative you want, but we miss too many chances to be a top team right now. Defending is second to that, and will remain second to that while Pep is in charge.
Just because missing chances is also a problem (and I concede that it is probably the biggest problem) it doesn't mean that the press isn't a problem. For me the whole thing defensively depends on us pressing effectively high up the pitch. Missing chances or taking chances, if we press effectively we will be a much better team. If we don't sort the press, we will buy a whole new defence and I am convinced that people on here will be saying we need a new load of defenders a year later. As always, it's only my opinion and I don't profess to be an expert on tactics like some on here, I just say what I see as it were.

Our strength isn't defending, it's attacking. Which is probably why we play such a high line and our defenders are in the centre circle most games. If they were to drop 20 yards deeper the midfield would have to do the same and before you know it we'll be a Mourinho team and not a Pep one.

Also, it's important that over the medium/long term the squad of players understand what it is that's required of them. If Pep simply gives up his own philosophy to make things easier for certain player when will the players learn how to play his way?
Exactly the reason why it's madness for people to be judging him already, he hasn't even finished the foundation yet and some are expecting the roof to be on already?

There's a reason why he feels a three year cycle is required, enough time to get the right players and for them to peak on his philosophy

Patience is key, it was never going to easy, especially with the Chavs and Dippers not playing European football this season......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.