City v CSKA Moscow Post Match Discussion Thread

NoahCity said:
Only thing that worries me is the gap between our starting XI and bench players, particularly in midfield and central defence.

It's a comment I made last night.

The game we are now playing, the pass-move-pass-move requires top drawer close control and passing, along with movement. The likes of Milner, Kolorov,Navas, Rodwell, Dzeko and Lescott simply haven't got that ability at the level our top stars have, so our game drops right off when more than one or two are in the eleven. It was crystal clear last night and also against Newcastle.

A bad run of injuries/suspensions, which always seems to kick in at the turn of the year, could affect us a lot.

Kippaxblue5 said:
Pics and comments on the CSKA Moscow game are now online at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/citnov13a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/citnov13a.htm</a>

love flicking through your website

i could spend hours on there!

Didsbury Dave said:
NoahCity said:
Only thing that worries me is the gap between our starting XI and bench players, particularly in midfield and central defence.

The game we are now playing, the pass-move-pass-move requires top drawer close control and passing, along with movement. The likes of Milner, Kolorov,Navas, Rodwell, Dzeko and Lescott simply haven't got that ability at the level our top stars have, so our game drops right off when more than one or two are in the eleven. It was crystal clear last night and also against Newcastle.

A bad run of injuries/suspensions, which always seems to kick in at the turn of the year, could affect us a lot.
I fully understand your comments but I don't think Navas should be included in the group of players mentioned.

Didsbury Dave said:
NoahCity said:

Totally agree with that regarding the champions league, the premier league they are good enough but where want to go we need to be looking at more players with 2 good feet and instant control when under pressure.. Hope some of our youth team have this installed in there play or they are not going to get a sniff in the 1st team..

This is about human rights or just a joke
V
V
V

Man City fans hang a ‘Free Pussy Riot’ banner at the CSKA game, stewards take it down [Picture]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-city-fans-hang-a-banner-say-free-pussy-riot-at-the-cska-moscow-game-stewards-take-the-sign-down-picture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-c ... n-picture/</a>

Didsbury Dave said:
NoahCity said:

Fair comments based on the way that MP wants the team to play. However, the logical extension is that the above-named players [and others] either adapt/improve or they are gone and replaced. TBH my only confusion with MP now is what role he envisaged for Navas and whether that has changed for some reason. He was trying out that 4-2-3-1 at Newcastle before Jovetic was injured and so maybe that's the clue, and it could just be an away day strategy.

br62 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
NoahCity said:

I fully understand your comments but I don't think Navas should be included in the group of players mentioned.

I am inclined to agree that Navas should not be tagged in that group. I also think Rodwell may prove to be a decent player at the requisite level; although he is never going to be another Yaya. Until Rodwell actually stays fit for a decent time period, we won't see the best of him. Mind you, centre back may ultimately be his best position.

aguero93:20 said:
NoahCity said:
I'm not so worried about defence, once we have all 4 fit and firing for me Vinnie is automatic first choice and the rest get rotated, apart from Garcia, who preferably gets moved on in jan.
but I agree about midfield, it was ludicrous we let barry go out on loan and i'd love to see us bring in the likes of Pogba, Gundogan or even someone like fabian delph from villa whos really impressed this season and is an upgrade on Garcia for me

He makes a good point mate especially about the defence. It's ok to say when Vinnie back we will be ok but he misses more games than he plays in and that was the case later on last season, fantastic player and we can't rely on him anymore. I almost feel like he is wheeled out for the big games i just hope i am wrong.

Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
supercity88 said:
I see today that the "happy" pole of Bluemoon's personality disorder has returned. Good. Long may it continue.

Notwithstanding the 'high line' which is still making those with a penchant for a more catenaccio style a little nervous!

We looked ridiculously good last night. Played the way this City team should. Wave after wave of attack. High tempo, constant movement. Dominant in almost every aspect of the match.

As DD said a page or two back ... you can see something very special occurring before our very eyes with this team. We will win the PL, of that I'm almost certain. The question for me really is how many trophies can Pellegrini pick up in his debut season ...

The Champions League isn't beyond us either. We'll go to Munich and show the world and maybe one or two of our own supporters that.

The thing about the high line, though, it's that it's integral to the way we play. We compressed the play really tightly in the midfield area and so they had no room to play and every time we won the ball back - and we pressed really well - we had men available and could build an incisive attack. The thing is about our pass and move game is that it was never going to be the same with Kolorov, Milner and Navas on as they don't have the close control or passing ability of those they replaced. There is a big gap now between our first and second choice players. You could see it at Newcastle and clearly in the second half last night.

Even though they scored twice I never felt CSKA were a serious threat.
I mostly agree, but I think you undervalue Navas' passing. He seems to be struggling to forge an understanding with our fullback on that side at the moment, but I trust Pellegrini can sort that out too. As far as Kolarov and Milner, I agree it's a drop when they're played in midfield. I still think they do a good job for us at left fullback and on the wing respectively.

taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
Notwithstanding the 'high line' which is still making those with a penchant for a more catenaccio style a little nervous!

We looked ridiculously good last night. Played the way this City team should. Wave after wave of attack. High tempo, constant movement. Dominant in almost every aspect of the match.

As DD said a page or two back ... you can see something very special occurring before our very eyes with this team. We will win the PL, of that I'm almost certain. The question for me really is how many trophies can Pellegrini pick up in his debut season ...

The Champions League isn't beyond us either. We'll go to Munich and show the world and maybe one or two of our own supporters that.

The thing about the high line, though, it's that it's integral to the way we play. We compressed the play really tightly in the midfield area and so they had no room to play and every time we won the ball back - and we pressed really well - we had men available and could build an incisive attack. The thing is about our pass and move game is that it was never going to be the same with Kolorov, Milner and Navas on as they don't have the close control or passing ability of those they replaced. There is a big gap now between our first and second choice players. You could see it at Newcastle and clearly in the second half last night.

Even though they scored twice I never felt CSKA were a serious threat.
I mostly agree, but I think you undervalue Navas' passing. He seems to be struggling to forge an understanding with our fullback on that side at the moment, but I trust Pellegrini can sort that out too. As far as Kolarov and Milner, I agree it's a drop when they're played in midfield. I still think they do a good job for us at left fullback and on the wing respectively.
In that respect I think Richards is tailor made for him, as he'll naturally attack the inside right channel, leaving navas one-on-one with the left back. Zaba too used to playing with the likes of AJ, Silva and Nasri who all come inside and he always goes for the overlap, which is not what a true wide man wants from his full back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.