City v Everton Post Match Thread

Blue2112 said:
jimharri said:
Blue2112 said:
Read some shit on here, Yaya's the problem, His control of the ball, holding off players, using both feet one touch left foot and pass with the right or one touch right foot and pass with the left. Those little circles he turns in where he's holding two players off before releasing the ball. The bust gutting runs he does. The free kicks. The tap ins , the curlers the presence in the middle or just simply around the club, the games without resting, the sheer strength of the man, he's a fucking monster of a player and I could go on. He's one of the best all time City midfielders and time may prove him to be the best of them all.
You're a fan then? Mind you, that last part of your last sentence will have us Colin Bell afficionados reaching for the sedatives!

I saw Colin in his prime before the injury and was at that game when Buchan did him. I was there for his return against Newcastle and I've met the King loads of times since and I like you love the man. But football is a strange thing and every generation likes to look back on there own as the best era in football and for all us middle aged farts the 60's/70's were untouchable for everything from flair players to colours of kits to match of the day presentation and the passing of time has Colin Bell held quite rightly as our greatest ever player. But preceding generations may argue for Swift, Trautmann or Doherty and the new generation will rightly hail Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Tevez and Yaya but of all the era's I've passed through and trying to be as fair as possible and remove my youthful blue tinted spectacles Yaya is quite simply as dominant and as important a figure as any of those other City greats that preceeded him and without doubt arguably as good and most certainly as important to the team and their success of his generation that he plays for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is far more difficult and I predict that the future will rightly hold Yaya aloft as one of if not the greatest City midfielders.

Well said, Professor. Everything you said there would apply to me and my thoughts. I'm not going to pick and choose between The King and Yaya: only one of them can play for us now and what a player he is.

OB1 said:
Blue2112 said:
jimharri said:
You're a fan then? Mind you, that last part of your last sentence will have us Colin Bell afficionados reaching for the sedatives!

I saw Colin in his prime before the injury and was at that game when Buchan did him. I was there for his return against Newcastle and I've met the King loads of times since and I like you love the man. But football is a strange thing and every generation likes to look back on there own as the best era in football and for all us middle aged farts the 60's/70's were untouchable for everything from flair players to colours of kits to match of the day presentation and the passing of time has Colin Bell held quite rightly as our greatest ever player. But preceding generations may argue for Swift, Trautmann or Doherty and the new generation will rightly hail Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Tevez and Yaya but of all the era's I've passed through and trying to be as fair as possible and remove my youthful blue tinted spectacles Yaya is quite simply as dominant and as important a figure as any of those other City greats that preceeded him and without doubt arguably as good and most certainly as important to the team and their success of his generation that he plays for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is far more difficult and I predict that the future will rightly hold Yaya aloft as one of if not the greatest City midfielders.

Well said, Professor. Everything you said there would apply to me and my thoughts. I'm not going to pick and choose between The King and Yaya: only one of them can play for us now and what a player he is.

I've had a few ciders, I get better with alcohol ;-)

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
It turned out to be a very good, and well deserved win against a team who keep the ball well, pass it well and have great movement. They're nowhere near as good as Bayern, thank God, but they're plenty good enough, and in good enough form, to qualify as one of those teams we might have preferred not to play on this particular Saturday. Their goal showed that the problems we have suffered from away will surface at home against the better teams - in this case defending a high line and trying to play the offside trap when there is no pressure on the ball. I think Tolmie is right about Ya Ya insofar as he isn't a tackler, and he won't turn and close players down quickly, and so Fernandinho has to work like a Trojan to do the mopping up himself. But Ya Ya is of such inestimable value going forward with the ball that he would walk into every other team in the world. I think the answer is to use Milner along with Fernandinho - who you leave out is a good question, but it certainly isn't Ya Ya and it certainly isn't Merlin! Anyway we really deserved the equaliser, if only because we never looked thrown out of our stride but stormed right to their end and put in a delightful goal (what a ball from Ya Ya, Tolmie!) and from then on we never really looked in danger. I was reaching for the anti-depressants when Vinnie went off, but I was amazed how well our two (left footed!) CBs coped; Lukaku tired after halftime, but he was still a real handful when Vinnie went off. Kolarov had a really good game, so did Zaba, Milner was excellent (was Baines playing?!), Ya Ya, Merlin and Alvaro were superb while Sergio had a poor game and only scored two (though one will be taken off him to suggest that Tim Howard made a stupid mistake!). And Joe, who has come in, fairly, for criticism for two howlers on Wednesday, couldn't be expected to have done any better for their goal, but never put a foot wrong after that. Finally, a word for the manager of whom I have been highly critical this week - he deserves great credit for the performance. It wasn't perfect and it was at home. But we went one down and our captain had to go off injured, both of which could have destroyed us but it was an excellent performance and we got stronger and stronger as the match wore on. By the end we were playing some excellent possession football, moving fluently and could, with a touch of luck, have had two or three more. It all makes for a very enjoyable weekend!
brilliant,looks like we watched the same match

Blue2112 said:
jimharri said:
Blue2112 said:
Read some shit on here, Yaya's the problem, His control of the ball, holding off players, using both feet one touch left foot and pass with the right or one touch right foot and pass with the left. Those little circles he turns in where he's holding two players off before releasing the ball. The bust gutting runs he does. The free kicks. The tap ins , the curlers the presence in the middle or just simply around the club, the games without resting, the sheer strength of the man, he's a fucking monster of a player and I could go on. He's one of the best all time City midfielders and time may prove him to be the best of them all.

It sounds like we are of a similar generation and you are most certainly correct regarding your comments on hindsight and foresight. However I do thing the King more than pips Yaya as our greatest ever player. If Colin was around today it would be impossible to put a price on him. He shades Yaya on stamina, finishing and as a genuine box to box player. Colin Bell has no equal and I think it's fair to say he never will.

Blue2112 said:

Yaya frightens the shine out of oppo fans and players alike. On the ball teams know that he can do yer, and often does. An immense player who shouldn't be criticised for the odd weakness in his game when his strengths are clear for all to see. You only need to look at the opposition view on here prior to a PL match and check the question - Which City player would you like in your team? The answer is invariably Yaya! Sez it all!

TGR said:
Blue2112 said:
jimharri said:

It sounds like we are of a similar generation and you are most certainly correct regarding your comments on hindsight and foresight. However I do thing the King more than pips Yaya as our greatest ever player. If Colin was around today it would be impossible to put a price on him. He shades Yaya on stamina, finishing and as a genuine box to box player. Colin Bell has no equal and I think it's fair to say he never will.

I think your right regarding Bell's stamina and box to box play but I will try to counter than by saying Yaya arguably is playing at a higher level of football these days especially regarding the opposition and fitness/tactics/formations (Standards/fitness of Premier/Champions League players). I can't recall any City footballer in the modern game being required tom play in every single game without fail. Does Yaya have this written into his contract or is it simply Mancini and Pellegrini see him as indispensable. He even played 45mins in the Capital Cup ffs? Only time will tell but if Yaya goes on to win a couple of more trophies here it could be argued he has been the most influential City player ever regarding success alone.

For such a big , sometimes seemingly immobile man ,YaYa has an amazingly delicate touch and two good feet , coupled with his strength it makes him one of the most unique players I have ever seen.
Silva today showed total class . Off the ball he ran , tackled ( sometimes not too convincingly) and when we had the ball , he was always looking for it , making himself available , and moving it beautifully especially when Nasri came on.
Altogether a very encouraging performance.

Fernandinho does all the little things, he's a more agile GazBaz. He may not fill up the stat sheet but he makes important tackles tracks back links a bit of play and stays out of attackers way. That's why if you are watching it on TV like me, you are wondering where he is unless you absolutely focus in on him. Yea he had some wayward passes but if he played a really good game today.

Quote of the day came from the lad in the South Stand who, when they brought on Gerard Delofeu, said "I thought he was that French actor with a big conk?"

Bayern drew and Dortmund lost today which highlights the significance of our win

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.