City v Newcastle post match thread

I cannot believe how good we actually were, we had so much pace and movement in our team, granted Newcastle didn't play well but you can only beat whats in front of you.

Roll on sunday!

Everyone just looked so much happier and it showed in the play.

Navas, wow, he worked so hard. Never seen anyone run 60 yards simply to harry - and terrify - the opposition keeper before.

BillyShears said:
Stato said:
Anyone know where Jovetic was ?

Very minor injury according to MP ... should be back for next weekend.
Cheers.
I was looking forward to seeing him, oh well just have to wait until Cardiff.

I was surprised to see Aguero start as he has not had much match practice, but you couldn't tell from his performance, thought he was brilliant.
To be honest though though they all played really well.

Fully agree with praise for Dzeko, Navas, Kun etc. plus concern over VK injury but at the back of it all was Manuel Pellegrini:

1. close-season work ( with Txiki) -steering clear of moneybags galacticos like Cavani and bringing in players who've yet to make their names e.g. Fernandinho.
2.planned tactical fluidity-high-speed interchanging disconcerted Newcastle's thicko defenders.
3.relaxed, authoritative demeanour on the touchline, radiates belief-hands in pockets till there's a need to point something out.
4.man-management-shaking hands with every player at full time, special words of congratulation for Dzeko.
5. dealing with the media post-match- brief smile and thanks for their praise, keeping them onside, deflecting speculation about central defenders by dwelling on the upcoming medical for VK.
last but certainly not least !- stressing the need for 90 minute performances so the fans get value, winning football plus classy football.

obviously '' it was only Newcastle'' and we'll have to wait and see how he deals with possible setbacks in big match situations but , on MNF, Carragher was one flummoxed Scouse as he tried to keep up with the complexity of it all and the worried look on grimgob Gary's mug was priceless!

very good start, and excitingly there looks like there's a lot more to come in future weeks.

A bit too open a few times at the back and a bit sloppy very occassionally on the ball, Lescott also looked really out of place on the ball now because everyone around him is so naturally gifted, but he was excellent at his main job of defending.

Kompany was imperious till his strain and I hope he's not out long as we have no adequate cover.

Navas clearly was MOTM, don't know how they gave it to Edin, don't get me wrong it was Edin's best performance for us I think and he's really stepped up but he should have scored a couple and Navas was brilliant all game.

Refs were petty and very inconsistent but what's new.

Great start and really looking forward to this season, just hope we can add to the defence and have good depth there.

SWP's back said:
cibaman said:
I was surprised how similar we were to the way we played under Mancini (that's not necessarily a bad thing). It wasn't much different to numerous easy home wins in the last two seasons.
Hahahahahahaaaa.

You may wish to read Mancini's best mate Savage's thoughts on the performance as he appears to disagree (along with everyone else I have spoken with about the game)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23761364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23761364</a>

This,even i can see the difference

Errr, did anyone see Joe Hart last night? He could have sat in the front row of the South or Family Stand or even phoned his performance in he was so NOT needed!! I can remember only one real save and that was that long ball from the Newcastle player.

But the highlight of my evening was meeting the legend that is squirtyflower!! Plus Paulo Wanchope saying hello to me as I was sitting in City Square, oops sorry BT City Square.

Marvin said:
Geordie take on the game.

MCFC remind me of City so much under Swales. Terrible owner appointing a comic football director to work with a very average manager.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ruf3971fU[/youtube]
He has a lot of good points but I'd have to say:

A. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
B. If they had played an attacking formation, we'd have won by even more
C. IMO, Gutierrez is quite good

Cracking performance last night - I don't think anyone had less than a 7/10 game. Dzeko looks like a new player and had a quality game, but for me the standout performer was David Silva - he was immense last night. No matter where the ball was, he seemed to be there, and some of the little through balls threaded behind their fullback for Navas were sublime.

Fernandinho looks very good, very comfortable on the ball, and made 1 or 2 superb crossfield passes, and not forgetting that tackle he made in the 2nd half. Really think hes gonna be a star for us. Him and Yaya will get better and better with more game time - there were quite a few times they were almost on top of each other, which hopefully will get ironed out fairly quickly.

As has been said by a few people already, the ref gave them about 4 or 5 free kicks for what I thought were perfectly good tackles, so will be interesting to see the incidents again when i watch it later. Luckily they didnt have any bearing on the outcome of the match - this time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.