City v Newcastle post match thread

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
kinkysleftfoot said:
Interesting stat from last night..........Newcastle only touched the ball threet imes in our penalty area!
Wonder how many times that has happened?

Might have happened when we beat the Rags 1 - 0 in title winning season, as they didn't have an attempt on goal.
Surely if they'd have got in there, they'd have had a go.
From the highlights I just posted, Newcastle had just two long-range attempts on goal and were off target both times, Hart diving to collect the second one but it seemed to be going just wide.

Anyone able to clear up Navas wearing a captains armband at the start of the game ?

City were awesome going forward and also when we didnt have the ball, we prerssed them and got the ball back or forced them to give it up, I hope though that Pell employs a less pressing strategy against the better teams, as even though Newcastle were poor, we did look a bit vulnerable to the counter attack...Anyone else think that or am I just being a city fan and finding fault where it does not exist?? cant wait for Cardiff, there will be a lot of teams in the PL shitting themselves at the prospect of facing us... Especially the rags..!!

Blue Til Death said:
City were awesome going forward and also when we didnt have the ball, we prerssed them and got the ball back or forced them to give it up, I hope though that Pell employs a less pressing strategy against the better teams, as even though Newcastle were poor, we did look a bit vulnerable to the counter attack...Anyone else think that or am I just being a city fan and finding fault where it does not exist?? cant wait for Cardiff, there will be a lot of teams in the PL shitting themselves at the prospect of facing us... Especially the rags..!!

I dont think Pellegrini thinks we've 'arrived' yet where he wants to be.

I noticed that a lot relies on Ferdy and Yaya covering across the whole middle at times. The old familiar shape is gone.

Also anyone notice that there is a technique that the midfielders rush back to join the CB line, giving the attacking opposition more space in midfield, then come out to meet them? Seemed to work against Newcastle.

As you say at the moment it's a gamble because for sure we will cause havoc in United's defence, but what will our defence be like?

That said I was surprised how easily we dismantled Newcastle, who wont be the worst team in the league, and without breaking out of first gear. They just had no chance to play and without Krul, poor finishing a good goal disallowed and at least 3 clear penalties denied it could realistically have been 8.

john@staustell said:
Blue Til Death said:

I dont think Pellegrini thinks we've 'arrived' yet where he wants to be.

I noticed that a lot relies on Ferdy and Yaya covering across the whole middle at times. The old familiar shape is gone.

Also anyone notice that there is a technique that the midfielders rush back to join the CB line, giving the attacking opposition more space in midfield, then come out to meet them? Seemed to work against Newcastle.

As you say at the moment it's a gamble because for sure we will cause havoc in United's defence, but what will our defence be like?

That said I was surprised how easily we dismantled Newcastle, who wont be the worst team in the league, and without breaking out of first gear. They just had no chance to play and without Krul, poor finishing a good goal disallowed and at least 3 clear penalties denied it could realistically have been 8.

I agree, easily have been 8 at the end, Im sure Pell has it under control, got every confidence in him, we didnt allow newcastle any meaningful possession and we tackled back really well too.. All looks good..Hope we continue the motion in Cardiff & really put our PL marker down for the season..

I was buzzing on Monday. That was fantastic by all the Manchester City team. That was miles better than the 4-0 against Newcastle last season. Silva was back to his best and so was Lescott. Still buzzing now and its Wednesday.

Ducado said:
mackenzie said:
We can't sustain that kind of intensity though, can we?
It was like a cup match.
Not complaining though.

I did not think so, I thought it was all very controlled and well planned out I think professional is the word I would use

It was, I'm not disputing that. It's more the 'badgering' that went on. It was something we haven't seen before yet it was immensely effective.
Just wonder if that is something we can keep up over a long campaign.

Great performance from every body and Joe Hart could have had a barbecue at goal whilst the game was going on.

Navas was my man of the match. It was really an impressive attacking performance- taking defenders on, getting good and adequate crosses in, linking up well with Zaba and also drifting inside at certain points in the game and orchestrating some attacking moves.

However it was the intangibles in his attitude and display that really impressed me. He really worked hard to support Zabaleta at the back and also chased everything down.

Certainly a key player for the team but also a key player for Dzeko and Negredo to really climb up that goalscorers table this season.

Yaya looked like his imperious self in that midfield and Fernandinho really displayed his array of skills as an offensive (passing) and defensive (tackling) midfielder, although I can be slightly harsh on him by reporting that he was a wee bit timid in front of the 18 yard box in terms of shooting but that confidence will come in time.

Nasri looked really happy and seemed to have forged a good friendship with Yaya and I hope they keep practicing those free kicks and perhaps they should include one or two other players with them as well.

Lescott and Clichy were Solid

Zabaleta and Navas were really fluid in offense. I also noticed that Zaba payed close attention to crosses into the box and really dealt with those crosses well. ( learnt from Munich)

Kompany hopefully will be back in 2-3 weeks.

Silva played very well and always seemed to get the ball in acres of space. A rare and valuable skill.

Aguero looked sharp and will have a big season. Great finish but It wasn't that surprising. There is some incredible spirit and fire in him that pushes him and forces out favorable outcomes at certain crucial moments in matches regardless of the difficulties, obstacles and challenges. He is clutch, not particularly proficient in front of goal but clutch!!. I am thinking that goal against Liverpool last season- very similar to his goal on Monday in terms of '' wow, I don't believe he just scored from that''. (Obviously the Liverpool goal was a more difficult chance).

and finally the big man, Dzeko. Great all round performance (linked up well with other attacking players, especially Aguero,; involved with 3 of the goals, his touch was good and he got into great positions in the box (as you would expect)) He rightly received a lot of praise from the fans and press. Unlucky not to get a goal but things are looking good for him this season.

All in all a good first match that sends a message to the rest and also builds the confidence and belief like we saw two seasons ago that will trigger a fantastic start to the season.

Next stop : Cardiff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.