City v Real Madrid - 26/04/16 - Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clear and probably a good thing Real are favorites. Eliminating PSG has done us a world of good and especially the 2nd game saw us show maturity in the CL.
Keeping a blanc is the most important goal to set but in all honesty I can't see that happen. Nor can't I see us scoring home and away. A lot will depend on little coincidences as it often goes in the latter stages.

Not sure if I want Kompany to start. Maybe he was left out last Sats because the Real game comes too soon to get him match fit so Pellers wanted Otamendi and Mangala play together again. Yaya would be a huge surprise if he's in the lineup anywhere. Same for Sterling. We need however our top players being top and nullify theirs.

I think MP has learned a lesson with Kompany and knows he can't play Tues - Sat - Tues. Apparently he wasn't on the bench because it was thought that it would be better for him to have a full training session on Saturday morning, rather than warm the bench and only play 20-30 mins (or not at all if the match situation prevented it).

It seems that Kompany's preparations have been geared to prepare him to play tomorrow.

Big decision on who to play at the back but I'd go with Vinnie and Otamendi due to their experience

Hart

Sagna
OtamendI
Kompany
Clichy

Fernandinho
Fernando

Navas
De Bruyne
Silva

Aguero

I can see a 1-1 draw. We will need a reasonable amount of luck to progress to the next round in my opinion

The key is we need to still be in with a chance going into the away leg (Captain Obvious).

We seem to start slow in CL games at home against the better teams, showing too much respect and end up either wasting 45 mins of home advantage or chasing the game if we get caught out.

I do feel though that we are a better side on the break than breaking down a proper organised defence.

If we can still have the game in our own hands when we arrive in Madrid we can do them.

A 1-0 win would do at home, play a right back line and hit on the break away and we could just get a trip to Milan.

Anybody thinks Pellers will start Sterling in place of Navas for Madrid? Was surprised Navas played the full 90 mins and Sterling didn't play at all. If he were to start Navas against Madrid he would've rested him as Navas is the type that runs around all game.

I'm thinking our squad would be:
Aguero
Silva - De Bruyne - Sterling
Fernando - Fernandinho
Clichy - Otamendi- Kompany - Sagna

Sterling would be able to play on the right for once. Remember that Sterling and KDB always have great link-up together.

Shit myself whenever Kompany and Otamendi start together as they seem to have little understanding of each others game and both love to lunge out of position seemingly at random.

I'd feel a bit nervous about Sterling coming back for such a big game. Feel nervous enough anyway, but think with that I'd worry he's short of matches. Navas to be fair has played quite well recently, I know he can have his moments, but I'd be tempted to start him ahead of Sterling. Pellers could change it during the game, save Sterling having to do 90 mins. Come on City, lets do this and stay in it for the second leg. Pellers vs Pep final, its written in the stars.

I'd say start Sterling, see what he can give and if it doesn't work out, put Navas in at half time. Could be wrong with this but I don't think Sterling has ever played the right winger in a 3 setup with Silva on the left, KDB in the middle?

Hart

Sanga
Kompany
Mangala
Clichy

Navas
Fernandinho
Toure
Sterling

De Bruyne

Aguero.

Difficult to leave Silva out, but I think we need someone on the left who can give us the defensive cover that Navas does on the right. Yaya is our big game player and helps us retain possession better than anyone else in the middle; he has to play if fit.

Too often we've been in awe of big clubs in this competition, standing off them. We need to start on the front foot, play our own game and go for their throats. I think we need to go over there with a lead to protect, but i'd take a 0-0 as we are capable of going there and upsetting them, especially if we score first. Whoever is picked, they need to wear the shirt with pride and collectively bust their guts. We also need a fair and balanced ref and a slice of luck.

We can beat these and get to the final, come on City!!!

Probably need to start Navas even tho his finishing is shit his final ball is terrible with the odd exception like Saturday when nobody got on the end of a great cross.
His energy is great tho and link up play is decent,he breaks up a lot of opposition play just by his movement and getting close to players which often goes unnoticed.
For me Sterling hasn't done enough this season to be considered for a starting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.