City v Real Madrid - 26/04/16 - Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a very good point re Madrid wingers. If Sterling is fit I'll be happy to see his energy
then. As for Jesus wearing his scoring boots...have faith ;-)

Before this season I don't think anyone would have considered not playing Silva in a game like this, but with De Bruyne's form and the goals he brings to the team it does make you wonder.

Personally I would prefer Sterling to start on the left in place of Silva. Real are far more of an attacking threat than PSG and I think Sterling is more suited to the defensive work that will be required tonight. I expect Pellegrini will start with Silva though, Sterling has not had much game time recently and I think he would have played some part against Stoke if he was going to start tonight. Hopefully Silva's performance as part of our attack will outweigh any concerns defensively.

It would be great to get a win tonight and go in to the second leg ahead, if not it makes the second leg far more difficult (although not impossible). A clean sheet would be a nice bonus too!

Interesting ucl stats (but IMO just a coincidence). Number 1: but looking at the last couple (10) of semi finals: 2015: Real and Bayern played second leg at home; got eliminated
2014: Bayern and Chelsea played second leg athome; got eliminated
2013: Barca and Real played second leg at home; got eliminated
2012: Barca and Real played second leg at home; got eliminated
2011: Man U and Barca played second leg at home; went through
2010: Barcelona and Lyon played second leg at home; got eliminated
2009: Arsenal and Chelsea played second leg at home; got eliminated
2008: Man U and Chelsea played second leg at home; went through
2007: Liverpool and Milan played second leg at home; went through
2006: Villareal and Barca played second leg at home; Barca went through Villareal got
eliminated In 6 of the last 10 semi finals, both teams playing the second leg at home lost the tie. I
didnt go further back than 10 years but it sure seems like a trend, especially in the last 4 straight years.
Interesting stat number 2( though the trend was stopped by juve's defeat in the final): beat the defending champions in the semi finals and win the cup e.g Madrid beat bayern, bayern beat barca, chelsea beat barca, inter beat barca etc. Since barca was beaten in the quarters, the stat won't apply.

interesting stat 3: a team that has been in the champions league final usually comes back to win it two or three years later, e.g bayern, chelsea, ac milan etc. The stat might apply in athletico's case.
Interesting stat 4: every time cristiano scores against city they always end up losing.
After analysing all the stats, it seems we might have an athletico vs realmadrid final with athletico madrid getting their revenge just like liverpool did in 2006-2007 vs milan. The stats are more on athleticos side. Think city can also go through but they lack experience that madrid have at this level. History is also another factor

If it happens he won't be pushed out per se, they will float as usual.

How often do you see Silva being stuck to left wing, when he's deployed there? Never

take your point but whoever is out there has to support the back line. If they're floating around, not sure we can keep that discipline

Who's the ref tonight ?

Cüneyt Çakır

cc3bcneyt-c3a7akir-4.jpg

Before this season I don't think anyone would have considered not playing Silva in a game like this, but with De Bruyne's form and the goals he brings to the team it does make you wonder.

Personally I would prefer Sterling to start on the left in place of Silva. Real are far more of an attacking threat than PSG and I think Sterling is more suited to the defensive work that will be required tonight. I expect Pellegrini will start with Silva though, Sterling has not had much game time recently and I think he would have played some part against Stoke if he was going to start tonight. Hopefully Silva's performance as part of our attack will outweigh any concerns defensively.

It would be great to get a win tonight and go in to the second leg ahead, if not it makes the second leg far more difficult (although not impossible). A clean sheet would be a nice bonus too!
Yep. There is the question of experience and cool heads as well. Sterling has a tendancy to moan at the ref. Silva has bags of experience where as Sterling has bags of pace. It's a really tough call...glad im not making it. Up the blues ;-)

Tranny can become the first player to be sent off 3 times at the ground tonight.

But I think it's more likely we'll lose a player with a straight red for sneezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.