City V Southampton post match discussion

My view of the action from the away end:

What a game! Fully expected a 3-8 nil thrashing to be honest and was pleasantly surprised.

Thought our players were solid throughout and bar the odd shake in defence put in a brilliant display. Clyne down the right was our MotM for me (sorry about the Aguero injury) and put in some great challenges, managing to get forward well. We managed to get some nice passing together in the opening 20 minutes, before you managed to find your feet before half-time.

I honestly thought the penalty save was as good as it was going to get for us. Second half and you missed a string of chances and, for what it's worth, I've personally never liked Dzeko but that might be more down to his stereo-typically arrogant footballer appearance rather than his ability.

Lambert came on and shifted the tide for us, his link-up play and knock-downs have been terrific for the past couple of seasons, not to mention the odd goal. Obviously went ballistic when he equalised and we were in dreamland when Steven Davis scored 143 seconds into his Saints debut! The 5 of us in our group all agreed you'd still win, but I was just glad you scored before it got too close to the end.

I was buzzing more after that defeat than some away wins we had last season, it was a very strange feeling!

At the end of the day your class shone through, but I felt we certainly put in a good account of ourselves and with a couple more signings should be comfortably able to stay up.

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you can stick it to United once again :)

Saint

Saint said:

What a game! Fully expected a 3-8 nil thrashing to be honest and was pleasantly surprised.

Thought our players were solid throughout and bar the odd shake in defence put in a brilliant display. Clyne down the right was our MotM for me (sorry about the Aguero injury) and put in some great challenges, managing to get forward well. We managed to get some nice passing together in the opening 20 minutes, before you managed to find your feet before half-time.

I honestly thought the penalty save was as good as it was going to get for us. Second half and you missed a string of chances and, for what it's worth, I've personally never liked Dzeko but that might be more down to his stereo-typically arrogant footballer appearance rather than his ability.

Lambert came on and shifted the tide for us, his link-up play and knock-downs have been terrific for the past couple of seasons, not to mention the odd goal. Obviously went ballistic when he equalised and we were in dreamland when Steven Davis scored 143 seconds into his Saints debut! The 5 of us in our group all agreed you'd still win, but I was just glad you scored before it got too close to the end.

I was buzzing more after that defeat than some away wins we had last season, it was a very strange feeling!

At the end of the day your class shone through, but I felt we certainly put in a good account of ourselves and with a couple more signings should be comfortably able to stay up.

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you can stick it to United once again :)

Saint
Some of your lot didn't cover themselves in glory when Kun was being stretchered away. Left a bitter taste to be honest. Anyway, about the football. Fair play to your lot; at least you had a go, although we should have been out of sight before you got your first. Defensively, you'll have to tighten up. We made a lot of chances that we didn't take yesterday. Thanks for the vermin comment at the end by the way!

Saint said:

Saint

A pretty good assessment Saint, except we should have been about 3 or 4 up at half time!

Thought you acquitted yourselves well, you broke quickly but I do think part of that was to do with our players thinking all they had to do was turn up to win.
Still, you can take great comfort from your display, cdertainly impressed a few of us in East lvl 3, you were very loud when you scored, we were quiet yesterday, maybe everyone was still spent from May 13th!

Was it you that started singing that stupid song 'Where were you when you were shit?' That really is a joke, I think all KNOW where we were when we were shit!

Good luck for the rest of the season, obviously except the return at St. Marys.

What part of Southampton do you live in fella?

Tell you something the atmosphere yesterday was awesome!

We fight till the end
we fight till the end
we're Man City
we fight till the end!

Both players and fans

Brilliant!

Bilboblue said:
Saint said:

Saint

A pretty good assessment Saint, except we should have been about 3 or 4 up at half time!

Thought you acquitted yourselves well, you broke quickly but I do think part of that was to do with our players thinking all they had to do was turn up to win.
Still, you can take great comfort from your display, cdertainly impressed a few of us in East lvl 3, you were very loud when you scored, we were quiet yesterday, maybe everyone was still spent from May 13th!

Was it you that started singing that stupid song 'Where were you when you were shit?' That really is a joke, I think all KNOW where we were when we were shit!

Good luck for the rest of the season, obviously except the return at St. Marys.

What part of Southampton do you live in fella?

Yeah we certainly looked dangerous on the counter-attack. First-half I didn't think we'd score, but at 3-2 I had every confidence we could nick another.

The "where were you when you were shit" was probably more tongue in cheek than anything else, in response to the usual "small town in pompey" crap. Thought our fans put on a good show and not having the fear of losing helps that. Little surprised by your fans as you made quite a racket at the Community Shield last week. I see the Poznan didn't exactly catch on around the ground either.... not universally loved by City fans then?

With regards to the Aguero injury you'll obviously get a few idiots that cheer, but it certainly was a relief that we didn't have to face him for another 85 minutes!

I live about 10 miles from Southampton, near Eastleigh.

Saint

Saint said:
I've personally never liked Dzeko but that might be more down to his stereo-typically arrogant footballer appearance rather than his ability.

Now that's a surprise because Dzeko comes across as one of the most down to earth and friendly players in the Prem.
He's a great lad and doesn't appear to have an arrogant bone in his body.

watched the highlights on the OS.

could have been 5-0 before they scored, should have been at least 3.

silva missed pen
dzeko scuffed sitter from 4 yards (nasri's ball)
silva over the bar
clichy chance over the bar

hopefully with more game time those will be going in.

stony said:
Saint said:
I've personally never liked Dzeko but that might be more down to his stereo-typically arrogant footballer appearance rather than his ability.

Now that's a surprise because Dzeko comes across as one of the most down to earth and friendly players in the Prem.
He's a great lad and doesn't appear to have an arrogant bone in his body.

To be fair that's me judging him at face-value, never actually heard an interview with him.

Impressed with Southampton tbh, a much better side than I thought they would be. I thought we did alright yesterday, not on the top of our game and I could see that from the opening 10 minutes, and Silvas god awful penalty didn't help. If anything that put us back a step and gave them more confidence. But then we got into our stride, scored and should have had a few more before they got back in it. It's a good sign that even though we weren't on top form that we could still create chances in abundance. Defensively we need to sure it up again, but Southampton scored the only 2 shots they had on target, so it isn't like we were giving away chances in abundance which is positive. The comeback is the thing that excited me the most, we finally have this mentality engraved in us that we aren't going to lose the game. We don't panic, we keep playing our stuff and know that it will come for us. After Dzeko scored, I think the majority of us at the ground expected us to go and get the winner. And the man who scored the winner I thought was outstanding yesterday. His touch to Tevez for the penalty was class, the way he dribbled past those 2 in the corner to set it up for Dzeko was quality, his chipped through ball for Tevez was perfect and it was only fitting he scored the winner. Silva was off the ball, which I can understand as he has not played any pre-season whatsoever, the same could be same for Mario when he came on. Was impressed with Dzeko, he put himself about in the air, should have scored a sitter but made up for it with his goal, and he did a decent job. End of the day, we deserved to win, we did win, we got the 3 points and THAT'S WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS

Saint said:

Saint
Cheers!

Could tell your team has been at the top of the league for the last two years (doesn't matter what division it was in). The way you applied youselves to the game, the players' attitude, the positivity...could be seen. If you play like that all season you will stay up.

We were all over the shop at times yesterday. Yaya doesn't get fully fit until October so when he runs forward it takes him five minutes to get back this left either Rodwell or Zabaleta isolated (doesn't matter if Clichy is left isloated because ge's rapid) and your team took advantage of that. Plus you would have seen better defending in the Championship than what we served up at times, even from our captain who is among the very best centre halves on the planet.

But that's taking nothing away from your team and manager, who were professional and look like a Premier League outfit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.