City V Southampton post match discussion

No17 said:
I haven't seen the match live so before I downloaded the match I came on here and read the matchday thread...I thought all hell broke loose reading some of the comments...I thought S'ton dominated every aspect of the match and city players were all over the place...

Dzeko knockers were out in force all over again, silva was trash, as was everyone else, rodwell should never start again...but then I remembered, it's a matchday thread :)

In my humble opinion the only bad thing was the last few minutes after city went 3:2 up...I don't know if it was fitness or something but I blame it on early season...things will get better.

It was a good display by the team, playing at 80% it was really good to see...

And Dzeko, after coming on for Aguero ( I hope he is ok, for the sake of the league and it's viewers, and all you city fans) did really well, there wasn't much of his usual bad ball control, he kept it well, had that miss when Nasri put it on the plate for him, but he corrected that with a goal, and when he got the balls in he looked in control and dangerous...

Tevez was good, faded a bit in the end but then again I think it's just the fitness level...it will get better.

And Rodwell, he had a good match, yes he made that mistake that led to the second goal, but he played really well...

So after watching the match I was reminded again that, there is no point in reading the matchday thread unless city is winning by 5, even then it can be bad for your eyes...

anyway, good match, nice win...congrats...had the likes of Silva, Dzeko and Balotelli been a bit more sharper this could have been a lot different..a 4:1 or a 6:2

I hope we beat the rags tonight so we keep developing the friendly atmosphere that's been developing recently :)

...didn't realise he had knockers? - no wonder he's so popular in the dressing room....

york away to this! said:
No17 said:
I haven't seen the match live so before I downloaded the match I came on here and read the matchday thread...I thought all hell broke loose reading some of the comments...I thought S'ton dominated every aspect of the match and city players were all over the place...

Dzeko knockers were out in force all over again, silva was trash, as was everyone else, rodwell should never start again...but then I remembered, it's a matchday thread :)

In my humble opinion the only bad thing was the last few minutes after city went 3:2 up...I don't know if it was fitness or something but I blame it on early season...things will get better.

And Dzeko, after coming on for Aguero ( I hope he is ok, for the sake of the league and it's viewers, and all you city fans) did really well, there wasn't much of his usual bad ball control, he kept it well, had that miss when Nasri put it on the plate for him, but he corrected that with a goal, and when he got the balls in he looked in control and dangerous...

Tevez was good, faded a bit in the end but then again I think it's just the fitness level...it will get better.

And Rodwell, he had a good match, yes he made that mistake that led to the second goal, but he played really well...

So after watching the match I was reminded again that, there is no point in reading the matchday thread unless city is winning by 5, even then it can be bad for your eyes...

anyway, good match, nice win...congrats...had the likes of Silva, Dzeko and Balotelli been a bit more sharper this could have been a lot different..a 4:1 or a 6:2

I hope we beat the rags tonight so we keep developing the friendly atmosphere that's been developing recently :)

...didn't realise he had knockers? - no wonder he's so popular in the dressing room....

:)

Just another observation, if Dzeko is not on the pitch, that third goal doesn't come imo. Had it been Aguero and Tevez on, Clichy may have been less inclined to whip the ball in. Dzeko, creates so many problems when balls come in from wide.

Finally, I have a chance to post my thoughts on the game.

I thought we looked shaky all over the pitch in the first five minutes as Southampton more or less flew out of the blocks and tried to create a couple of chances. But after that we settled down and started playing some football, with Rodwell and Yaya Toure running the midfield - Silva, despite looking rusty, was still the biggest threat to Southampton (excluding his penalty).

But I'm not sure what happened after HT. Everything we hit went wide, over or hit the woodwork. As we committed men forward we left ourselves susceptible to the break and Southampton scored two "away" goals because of this. Kompany and Lescott couldn't clear our lines and we paid for it.

But we were world class after Southampton went in front. The variation in our play had Southampton worried and any composure they'd shown in the first half was eradicated. Once Silva went off, Nasri and Yaya Toure really started pulling the strings with Clichy and Zabaleta offering some much needed support from down the flanks - and with Balotelli adding some desperately needed spark.

Clichy's cross for Nasri's goal was everything we expect from Kolarov - a dangerous ball in to the box that was almost impossible to defend. Man of the Match Nasri couldnt miss and we weren't troubled by Southampton as their heads were down.

We were far from our best, but the first game of the season may as well be a cup tie; especially when you're playing a newly promoted team. There was no form to ride off going in to the game, neither team were at their best and the "lesser" team managed to boost their reputation by putting up a fight. But in the end our class showed and we marched to victory.

On to Liverpool next week.

Bazzmand Show said:
Just another observation, if Dzeko is not on the pitch, that third goal doesn't come imo. Had it been Aguero and Tevez on, Clichy may have been less inclined to whip the ball in. Dzeko, creates so many problems when balls come in from wide.

Oh my Lord, you'll get stoned to death for that comment!

MCFC BOB said:
Finally, I have a chance to post my thoughts on the game.

I thought we looked shaky all over the pitch in the first five minutes as Southampton more or less flew out of the blocks and tried to create a couple of chances. But after that we settled down and started playing some football, with Rodwell and Yaya Toure running the midfield - Silva, despite looking rusty, was still the biggest threat to Southampton (excluding his penalty).

But I'm not sure what happened after HT. Everything we hit went wide, over or hit the woodwork. As we committed men forward we left ourselves susceptible to the break and Southampton scored two "away" goals because of this. Kompany and Lescott couldn't clear our lines and we paid for it.

But we were world class after Southampton went in front. The variation in our play had Southampton worried and any composure they'd shown in the first half was eradicated. Once Silva went off, Nasri and Yaya Toure really started pulling the strings with Clichy and Zabaleta offering some much needed support from down the flanks - and with Balotelli adding some desperately needed spark.

Clichy's cross for Nasri's goal was everything we expect from Kolarov - a dangerous ball in to the box that was almost impossible to defend. Man of the Match Nasri couldnt miss and we weren't troubled by Southampton as their heads were down.

We were far from our best, but the first game of the season may as well be a cup tie; especially when you're playing a newly promoted team. There was no form to ride off going in to the game, neither team were at their best and the "lesser" team managed to boost their reputation by putting up a fight. But in the end our class showed and we marched to victory.

On to Liverpool next week.
Just wanted to say I agree that Clichy's cross was very good. I'm hopeful he's turning a corner with those.

No17 said:

I was at the game (just got back home about a n hour ago). To be honest, the back 4 seemed nervy for most of the second half, not just those last 10 or so minutes. And our ball retention was risible; we just seemed determined to give it back to Saints as quickly as possible. Still, isn't that supposed to be the secret of winning trophies; play badly and win?

jimharri said:
No17 said:

I was at the game (just got back home about a n hour ago). To be honest, the back 4 seemed nervy for most of the second half, not just those last 10 or so minutes. And our ball retention was risible; we just seemed determined to give it back to Saints as quickly as possible. Still, isn't that supposed to be the secret of winning trophies; play badly and win?

you definitely had a better view than me...but the fact that somewhere around 75th minute sky showed a stat saying city had 81% possession meant to me that the defense didn't have that much to do :)

anyway I still think that wasn't more than 80% of city's ability...it will only get better as all the players get up to full working temperature :)

Pics and comments on the first game of the season against Southampton are now online at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/citaug12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/citaug12.htm</a>
Some shots of the press launch of Garry James new book can be seen at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/city0213.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/city0213.htm</a>

Best wishes to all for the new season

Jeez fellas we won !! A bit shaky a bit ring rusty maybe but we won !! Hopefully Aguero's injury isn't that bad, some players have had a kick up the arse but we have 3 points in the bag lets see how the rag bastards get on at Everton tonight. Draw / defeat and RVP limping off to start another injury hit season and we will all be laughing again!!

I think a major injury worry is Joe. He hasn't had that much practise picking the ball out of the net at home - could put his back out !!

Lets smash the bin dippers now - big statement of intent and show we are current champions that are a year wiser a year stronger and are in this winning midset for a long time to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.