CITY v Spuds - Official Match Thread

i think arry will be cagey, and look to pick us off on the break, which if the luck goes with them, they might just do so. I think however that we are due a bit of the run of play, and we will score first, meaning they have to come out to play and then Bale, Asso Acotto(?) and Bassong will be exposed as they are not up to our attack defensively. The conundrum for Mancini to solve is to keep Lennon and Bale out of the game in an attacking sense whilst going forward ourselves, but i think he'll crack it. Paddy will run the show (heres hoping) and we will win 2-0

The bookies have us at evens for the win but I make us slight favourites, not least because I think the atmosphere will take a few by surprise, but mainly because I'm not sure Spurs know how to be cagey.

They simply can't play 5 in midfield, for one thing I don't think they have the personnel, and for another it would be very odd to try a new formation in the biggest game of the season (see how far it got Hughes in the away game!)

He will play Huddlestone and Palacios in midfield but that's all he can do to tighten things up. Bale will be left back because if, as expected, King doesn't start, Bassong will likely fill in at CB. And he is the no genuinely defensive option for left back. The only possibility outside of King starting is Corluka returning to RB, with Kaboul in the centre. But I reckon it will be Bale at left back with Modric on the left of midfield, Lennon on the right, with Crouch and Defoe up front.

The more I think about this the more I think we will get the win. Spurs away record against good teams is poor. Lost at Chelsea, Liverpool, rags and Arsenal, ten goals conceded, one scored. The 1-1 at Villa was their best effort.

Away wins against good teams? Don't see any. Of course they don't need a win, but the only times you could say they got a 'good' draw away were the FA cup ties (against Bolton, and an understrength Fulham), and the 1-1 at Villa clearly counts. Maybe the 0-0 in the league game at Fulham, were Gomez pulled off a string of fantastic saves, but in the 2-2 at Everton they went two in front in the second half but still didn't win.

Their recent run has been all about the home form, 6 of their last 9 league games were at home. They've lost their last two aways 3-1. Admittedly they've won two away games in the prem since the turn of the year, but a 3-0 against a notoriously dodgy Wigan side and a 2-1 at Stoke who had a man sent of at half time aren't exactly amazing.

That has to be balanced against our home form against good sides. I would say we more or less played for the draws against Liverpool and Rags, so I'm not too worried about them. In recent times, the Everton loss stands out, and the home draw against Stoke in the FA cup was disappointing. But there are wins against Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd in the first leg, and most recently Villa.

I reckon the game will follow the same pattern as against Villa. I can see them taking the lead, probably a wonder-goal from Defoe. But I can't see them getting more than one, the only time that's happened under Mancini at COMS was Everton. And I can definitely see us scoring twice, only times that hasn't happened at home under Mancini was that Everton game, and the Rags/Liverpool. Tottenham's defence is accomplished but Adebayor and Tevez have a lot of brute power, and we all know how good we are at running with the ball. I think there will surely be enough opportunites for them.

BigDub said:
I can assue you that this won't happen for the simple reason that Spurs do not know how to park the bus. Spurs a a pretty attacking minded team and, as such, have never really employed this strategy before. For that reason, Spurs really have no idea how to carry out such tactics. If we decide to park the bus a loss is more than likely. Harry won't get away from the sort of football we have played all year. Besides, a draw and it goes to the last day. A win (however difficult/unlikely) and Spurs are in the CL.

Er, yeah, except that in your recent match against Arsenal, you totally parked the bus. At home.

There's nothing wrong with parking the bus sometimes. Just don't tell lies, eh?

ST Coleridge said:
BigDub said:
I can assue you that this won't happen for the simple reason that Spurs do not know how to park the bus. Spurs a a pretty attacking minded team and, as such, have never really employed this strategy before. For that reason, Spurs really have no idea how to carry out such tactics. If we decide to park the bus a loss is more than likely. Harry won't get away from the sort of football we have played all year. Besides, a draw and it goes to the last day. A win (however difficult/unlikely) and Spurs are in the CL.

Er, yeah, except that in your recent match against Arsenal, you totally parked the bus. At home.

Arsenal play by possession, we by no means 'parked the bus' -- as you may notice, we scored twice against them. In a way it was similar to how you played against Man Utd....except you didn't score.

bizzbo said:
He will play Huddlestone and Palacios in midfield but that's all he can do to tighten things up. Bale will be left back because if, as expected, King doesn't start, Bassong will likely fill in at CB. And he is the no genuinely defensive option for left back. The only possibility outside of King starting is Corluka returning to RB, with Kaboul in the centre.

The more I think about this the more I think we will get the win. Spurs away record against good teams is poor. Lost at Chelsea, Liverpool, rags and Arsenal, ten goals conceded, one scored. The 1-1 at Villa was their best effort.

Away wins against good teams? Don't see any. Of course they don't need a win, but the only times you could say they got a 'good' draw away were the FA cup

Modric and Huddlestone will start in CM.

Assou Ekotto is our left back, Bale will be LW.

No offense, but we consider you more of a 'Villa' team than a 'Chelsea' team.

ST Coleridge said:
BigDub said:

Actually, mate. I would not call the way we played against Arsenal parking the bus in the least. Arsenal simply played possession football. You'll notice that until the end of the game Arsenal had tons of possession but nearly no legitimate scoring opportunities. I'm not sure if you watched the match, but if you did you would have noticed that most of their possession was passing up near midfield. Penetration into the danger areas was limited. You would also have noticed that, for the first 75 minutes of the game, really the only time Spurs dropped 10 men into defense was on corners, when Pavlyuchenko came back to utilize his height.

Once Van Persie game on I would say we started to play much more defensively minded football. But this is the strategy many teams employ when leading by a goal or two late in the match. Aside from this last bit of play I would not describe Spurs' play against Arsenal as parking the bus. Spurs were certainly out possessed, maybe even out played. But I don't agree with your assessment of the match if you felt they simply parked the bus the whole game. You don't often see a side score twice when they park the bus for a full 90 now do you?

Yid said:
bizzbo said:
He will play Huddlestone and Palacios in midfield but that's all he can do to tighten things up. Bale will be left back because if, as expected, King doesn't start, Bassong will likely fill in at CB. And he is the no genuinely defensive option for left back. The only possibility outside of King starting is Corluka returning to RB, with Kaboul in the centre.

Away wins against good teams? Don't see any. Of course they don't need a win, but the only times you could say they got a 'good' draw away were the FA cup

I hope so.

pee dubya said:
Yid said:

I hope so.

yep hope so too, Modric wont get a sniff with De Jong around.<br /><br />-- Tue May 04, 2010 3:56 pm --<br /><br />2-0 City, both in first half, Ade x2.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.