City v Spurs Post Match Thread

penalty spot said:
As others are saying on here it was not all plain sailing.We were looking second to the ball and hesitant between ourselves as to who,s ball it was early on.We have played better this season away and lost, but that's football. A strange game in some ways but it was essential that we took the points and we did.

Often when we score an early goal we have a lull for 20mins afterwards. The intensity levels drop, the players seem hesitant, unsure whether to press on or protect the lead. Our opponents know that parking the bus is no longer an option so come out and play a bit.

Chippy_boy said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but will just say this coz it needs saying...

Yes we were scoring for fun and could have won 9 or 10 nil. Of course that was awesome. But it was not all roses.

Pellegrini says we could not have played better, but he is wrong on that and in a strange kind of way, we were lucky. After the first crazy goal, for the next 30 minutes, Spurs bossed the game, at the Etihad! their midfield owned ours and we were struggling to hold on. I sat there thinking their equaliser was inevitable. Then after we scored a 2nd and 3rd, their hearts sank and the rest is history. (They made it worse for themselves by bringing Adebayor on and giving up their midfield advantage.)

But those first 30 minutes were concerning. Had they had any real goal threat, we could have been a couple of goals down easily. Pellegrini's refusal to play 5 in midfield or to drop Aguero deeper to cover, is in a way admirable. But is it going to cost us against top sides? Bayern ripped us apart for much the same reason.

Just saying.

No you are wrong. We sat off them in order to set them up for our breaks. We knew they had the extra man. Our defence
and midfield were so well organised today. That's why they could not break us down. You have to realise we can't have the football
for all 90 minutes no matter how good we are.

Pics and comments on the Spurs game are now online at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/citnov13b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/citnov13b.htm</a>

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Chippy_boy said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but will just say this coz it needs saying...

Yes we were scoring for fun and could have won 9 or 10 nil. Of course that was awesome. But it was not all roses.

Pellegrini says we could not have played better, but he is wrong on that and in a strange kind of way, we were lucky. After the first crazy goal, for the next 30 minutes, Spurs bossed the game, at the Etihad! their midfield owned ours and we were struggling to hold on. I sat there thinking their equaliser was inevitable. Then after we scored a 2nd and 3rd, their hearts sank and the rest is history. (They made it worse for themselves by bringing Adebayor on and giving up their midfield advantage.)

But those first 30 minutes were concerning. Had they had any real goal threat, we could have been a couple of goals down easily. Pellegrini's refusal to play 5 in midfield or to drop Aguero deeper to cover, is in a way admirable. But is it going to cost us against top sides? Bayern ripped us apart for much the same reason.

Just saying.

No you are wrong. We sat off them in order to set them up for our breaks. We knew they had the extra man. Our defence
and midfield were so well organised today. That's why they could not break us down. You have to realise we can't have the football
for all 90 minutes no matter how good we are.

Spot on analysis. I have watched a few of tottenham's games beforehand and they were very poor in possesion. Against newcastle, they had 60% possession and newcastle won 1-0. Against arsenal,they had close to 60% possession but still could not score. Moreover, arsenal were a huge threat on the counter attack and it was Lloris who saved them from being demolished.
So i must say Pellegrini sharp in identifying Tottenham's weakness early on and decided to sit back in the game.

For me it was a classic game of fantastic counter attacking football and I think that is the best way to win away as well. We know teams park the bus when we have the ball, so let the home side dominate possession and hit them when it matters, it works in Europe and there is no reason it wouldn't work in the PL imo

After the first goal I thought Yaya and Fernandinho got overrun in the centre of midfield allowing Spurs lots of possession but once the second went in I thought Fernandinho bossed the midfield breaking up lots of play, his contributions were key yesterday allowing us to counter and pushing Yaya on. The third goal sealed it and Spurs were gone, I still think we need to tighten up in middle to protect the defence but things seem to be clicking now, I feel sorry for Fulham because I think that's the game away when someone is going to get slaughtered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.