City v Spurs Post Match Thread

As others are saying on here it was not all plain sailing.We were looking second to the ball and hesitant between ourselves as to who,s ball it was early on.We have played better this season away and lost, but that's football. A strange game in some ways but it was essential that we took the points and we did.

remember arthur mann said:
leipzigblue said:
Due to living in Germany, I only get to see the games via live streams now. Before today's game, I'd missed just one this season - the 7-0 over Norwich.
Had to go to a family dinner today (the girlfriend's, not mine), so wasn't able to watch the game. Said to Mrs Leipzig before the game that it'd be just typical of my luck for City to thrash Spurs today cos I'm not watching.
Just found out the score 30 minutes ago, and she's told me to never watch City again!
Ah well, I'll see you all in Munich anyway!
Does Mrs Leipzig know about your girlfriend?

Didn't even notice the typo. Was a little drunk last night. 'Tis the same girl!

MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Is anyone else amazed that Lamela and Soldado cost a combined £58m? Negredo and Navas cost £36m

Lamela will come good, and Soldado didn't turn this shit overnight, he has still lead the line for Spain and been a very good striker in La Liga. I'd bet he'd look a hell of a lot better in our side.

It is looking like we got a great deal on Negredo, and a fair to good deal on Navas (Preparing for the abuse, but I don't think Navas has been or ever will be all that for us - That finish for the first aside).

Didsbury Dave said:
Chippy_boy said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but will just say this coz it needs saying...

Yes we were scoring for fun and could have won 9 or 10 nil. Of course that was awesome. But it was not all roses.

Pellegrini says we could not have played better, but he is wrong on that and in a strange kind of way, we were lucky. After the first crazy goal, for the next 30 minutes, Spurs bossed the game, at the Etihad! their midfield owned ours and we were struggling to hold on. I sat there thinking their equaliser was inevitable. Then after we scored a 2nd and 3rd, their hearts sank and the rest is history. (They made it worse for themselves by bringing Adebayor on and giving up their midfield advantage.)

But those first 30 minutes were concerning. Had they had any real goal threat, we could have been a couple of goals down easily. Pellegrini's refusal to play 5 in midfield or to drop Aguero deeper to cover, is in a way admirable. But is it going to cost us against top sides? Bayern ripped us apart for much the same reason.

Just saying.

I just posted on another thread: between about minutes 10 and 35 we were poor. The good news was we defended pretty well, but the midfielders just kept giving the ball back to Spurs. We did get lucky by being gifted goals but we were absolutely clinical and put the game beyond Spurs. From that point onwards, though we were superb. And we should have been 3-0 up before that bad spell.

Without Silva and Kompany it would be churlish to moan, though ;-)
We were without Kun and Kompany a lot last season too.

It was the 3 v 2 in cenrtral midfield and at just 1-0 Spurs were taking advantage of that. We were giving it away after just 3 or 4 passes max as we didn't have enough men in enough space to keep passing moves going as Yaya, particularly, wasn't working hard enough. After a while Negredo dropped back a few times to help out and Fernandinho and Nasri really took responsibility for keeping possession and we were much better. We were there for the taking yesterday in that first half, especially at 1-0. Once it went 2-0 they started to lose belief as they weren't creating anything. They have a lot of hard working, good passing midfielders at Tottenham but they had nobody on the pitch who could create something for Soldado. Then we hit the third and you could physically see Spurs collectively drop their heads and shoulders.

In the second half we played a cagey game with them, sitting fairly deep allowing them possession in 2/3 of the pitch but working hard to win the ball back in our third and hitting them on the break. We did the same to United. We should have done the same to Bayern but played a high line against them which played into their hands as they gave us the run-around and got in behind us too often.

Fernandinho was outstanding yesterday. Really good performance.

adrianr said:
MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Is anyone else amazed that Lamela and Soldado cost a combined £58m? Negredo and Navas cost £36m

Lamela will come good, and Soldado didn't turn this shit overnight, he has still lead the line for Spain and been a very good striker in La Liga. I'd bet he'd look a hell of a lot better in our side.

It is looking like we got a great deal on Negredo, and a fair to good deal on Navas (Preparing for the abuse, but I don't think Navas has been or ever will be all that for us - That finish for the first aside).

I agree with you on Navas, he's no Frank Ribery, but for £14m i'd say we could of done alot worse. I still think a new winger should be on the cards, but that can wait untill summer.

1st brilliantly placed shot from navas

2nd great ball buy nasri to aguero and a powerful finish from the beast

3rd great low cross from navas into aguero feet, and a clinical finish clinical

4th fantastic interplay between yaya, fernandinho, negredo and finished of superbly by aguero

5th what a touch, turn and finish from negredo

6th brilliant ball by milner and great finish from navas

have to say it could of been at least 10 playing in second gear. and narsi`s eyes and chip were fantastic.

i think though we need a defensive mid in the de jong mode and to buy luke shaw in january

Absolute annihilation. Navas, Nasri, Aguero, Negredo and Fernandinho were exceptional. I look at these performances and they are ridiculous. To hit 4 past the rags was one thing, but 6 past the spuds without reply is unbelievable. In the first half I think the defence at times was a bit shaky, but as the game went on, everyone got a lot more confidence and saw it out comfortably. It's scary to think that we have Silva and Kompany to come back into this team, and once they do, I think we could walk this league. We have been very fortunate so far that other teams haven't steam rolled ahead of us, and our away form has been abysmal, but we have the best team in the league and if we can just sort it out in the away games, the league is there for the taking. These demolition jobs at home mean nothing if we can't build on them away. My opinion changes all the time, as soon as we hammer someone at home I think we can go all the way, then after an away game I can't help but think that champions wouldn't be losing stupid points like we are. Its frustrating cause we can maul every single team in this league and yet we come undone by the stupidest goals or individual errors. I am glad our next game is at home as it could put us in a much more comfortable position in the table , from which we can then build on in the 2 away games we have after Swansea. We HAVE to kick on from here, we're too good not to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.