City v United Beijing friendly pre match - CANCELLED

Its not like they wasn't expecting heavy rain. With all the money being spent you'd have thought keeping the playing surface at least dry was a priority. Blue skies come kick off time.
It was dry and hot from Friday am with 1 hour downpour on Fri night. Just been speaking in Beijing airport to Feran Soriano - Chinese would not listen to our groundsman's advice. Relayed turf was moving under foot, totally unsafe. Ridiculous situation with all the money involved.

Last edited:
Shame. I got all dressed up as well.

13612139_10155125269388146_6263370412331869244_n.jpg

That's not even the half of it. For it being a clear soulless corporate whoring exercising for advertising and pleasing plastic supporters abroad, they'd only sold half the tickets and it was due to be played in a half empty stadium.

Seriously, what's the fucking point?

An absolute farce all round and terrible for our preparations for a long hard season.

Last season we had some outraged entitled childlike morons burning tickets to our game in Vietnam because they felt that our players hadn't made a big enough fuss of them while in their hotel going about their business. And that was played in a half empty ground too.

An utter joke.

Bring back something like the Thomas Cook trophy and a few friendlies in Scotland et al. Football has to be the priority.

Perhaps the novelty of watching PL teams play meaningless games at walking pace, with most of the best players missing and multiple substitutions is wearing off? You can fool some of the people all of the time....

I do wonder whether clubs embark on these trips every year mainly because their rivals do. Its the fear of being left behind that drives the crazy schedule. Why don't City, United, Liverpool etc get together and agree a protocol? As a starting point agree that these trips will only take place in non WC/Euro summers?

That's not even the half of it. For it being a clear soulless corporate whoring exercising for advertising and pleasing plastic supporters abroad, they'd only sold half the tickets and it was due to be played in a half empty stadium.

Seriously, what's the fucking point?

An absolute farce all round and terrible for our preparations for a long hard season.

Last season we had some outraged entitled childlike morons burning tickets to our game in Vietnam because they felt that our players hadn't made a big enough fuss of them while in their hotel going about their business. And that was played in a half empty ground too.

An utter joke.

Bring back something like the Thomas Cook trophy and a few friendlies in Scotland et al. Football has to be the priority.
Think the lack of a sold out crowd might have had something to do with the prices being £80-£200 !!

Perhaps the novelty of watching PL teams play meaningless games at walking pace, with most of the best players missing and multiple substitutions is wearing off? You can fool some of the people all of the time....

I do wonder whether clubs embark on these trips every year mainly because their rivals do. Its the fear of being left behind that drives the crazy schedule. Why don't City, United, Liverpool etc get together and agree a protocol? As a starting point agree that these trips will only take place in non WC/Euro summers?
I tend to agree. Winning the league and Champions League would do far more for the City "brand" in these markets than any poxy friendly could ever manage. Yet for some strange reason, preparing the team to win those competitions doesn't seem to be much of a priority these days.

So 3 games of preparation to get match fit? Doesn't sound great to me. Pep will be doing some amazing training I'm sure but I wonder if they'll arrange some behind closed doors friendlies?

So 3 games of preparation to get match fit? Doesn't sound great to me. Pep will be doing some amazing training I'm sure but I wonder if they'll arrange some behind closed doors friendlies?

I'd be happier to see them call up Bury or Oldham and offer them a game, even if it's only a few first teamers.

If I'd have travelled for the game as many did from all over that part of the world...I'd have been delighted with some united-City "activities" as a substitute for a proper game of football in the stadium. Crossbar challenges, football tennis, etc. Itd have involved the same players for the same time and had minimum risk.

I feel both teams' fans were just left in a vacuum - of was something really put on for them?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.