City v United |Carling Cup | 19th Jan |Match Day thread

brenda said:
it will just be like OT in the second half with no big target men. Given's distribution is terrible he never finds a City player and the ball will keep coming back. Against Blackburn I counted 20 times he kicked straight to a Blackburn player in a game we won easily. Robinson on the other hand nearly always kicked to wing where a Blackburn player won the header. Same at Everton we loose the ball from Given and no-one is correcting his poor kicking. Everything elese about him the best in Premiership but his distribution is driving me mad. Why cant coaches see this?

Agreed on observation brenda,i can never understand why he does not kick to the flanks,at least there is a chance of a throw in from there.Have said this for a while now about the kick down the middle,we do not have a true target man,so i am assuming that the coaching is "second ball ".I do believe under Manchini we will develope a better game of throwing it out from the back.Tonight 3-0 Tevez 1st goal scorer.

UK - BBC1: 8.00pm (7.30pm - Red Button)

Video Preview

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x97c6w_manchesterderby_sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x97c6w ... erby_sport</a>

It is 34 years since Manchester City last won a major trophy. Since winning the 1976 League Cup final, City fans have had to stand by helplessly and watch as their biggest rivals have won every piece of silverware going, collecting an astonishing 25 major honours (11 Premier League titles, 8 FA Cups, 2 European Cups, 1 Cup Winners' Cup, 3 League Cups).

Thirteen City managers have tried and failed to match the exploits of Sir Alex Ferguson since the Scot arrived at Old Trafford in 1986.

Now it is the turn of Roberto Mancini. The former Inter Milan manager certainly has the pedigree - in a seven-year spell managing in Serie A he won three league titles and four Coppa Italias to add to the two Serie A titles and six Italian Cups he won as a player.

In Italy, Mancini was said to be "baciato dalla grazia" - kissed by fortune - and a seemingly effortless start to life at Eastlands with four wins in his first four games further sealed that reputation. But Saturday's defeat at Everton provided a reminder that greater challenges await.

Manchester United's season has been one of injuries, inconsistency and financial instability. The champions returned to winning ways on Sunday with a 3-0 victory over Burnley, but with seven defeats already this season and the wounds of the FA Cup exit to Leeds still raw, the League Cup has taken on greater significance and Ferguson is likely to field a stronger line-up against City than might have been expected.

Head-to-head

• This is the 153rd meeting between these sides in all competitions. Man Utd have won 62 to Man City's 41, with 49 draws.

• City beat United 4-0 en route to winning the 1976 League Cup final. They also beat United 4-3 on aggregate in the 1969/70 semi-final.

• United's only League Cup victory over City came in the third round of the 1974/75 competition.

• The last three Manchester derbies at Eastlands have ended 1-0, twice in United's favour.

Manchester City

• Man City have won two League Cups (1970 and 1976) and were runners-up in 1974.

• This is City's first major semi-final since they defeated Ipswich Town to reach the 1981 FA Cup final.

• City last won a major trophy 34 years ago. Coincidentally, it was the League Cup.

• City have lost only two of their last 20 league and cup games.

Manchester United

• Man Utd are the current League Cup holders. They also won the 1992 and 2006 League Cups. They have been runners-up four times (1983, 1991, 1994, 2003).

• Under Sir Alex Ferguson United have contested seven League Cup semi-finals, reaching the final on six occasions.

• United have only won four of their last eight games.

• If selected, Edwin van der Sar will make his 200th appearance for United.

'Bluuuueeee Mooooooooooonnnnn'

I'm going to start singing on my way home from work.

fallowfieldflyer said:
brenda said:
it will just be like OT in the second half with no big target men. Given's distribution is terrible he never finds a City player and the ball will keep coming back. Against Blackburn I counted 20 times he kicked straight to a Blackburn player in a game we won easily. Robinson on the other hand nearly always kicked to wing where a Blackburn player won the header. Same at Everton we loose the ball from Given and no-one is correcting his poor kicking. Everything elese about him the best in Premiership but his distribution is driving me mad. Why cant coaches see this?

Agreed on observation brenda,i can never understand why he does not kick to the flanks,at least there is a chance of a throw in from there.Have said this for a while now about the kick down the middle,we do not have a true target man,so i am assuming that the coaching is "second ball ".I do believe under Manchini we will develope a better game of throwing it out from the back.Tonight 3-0 Tevez 1st goal scorer.

I might be wrong but it seems like Given has been looking for a short option to pass/throw it out to more during the last few weeks. We should really implement that more and I think Mancio is trying to do it. You are right though, feels like we ALWAYS give away posession from goal kicks.

cant wait for tonight! i hope the atmosphere is even better then when we played hamburg last season and that will take some beating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.