City v Watford Post Match Thread

SWP's back said:
Either way, it's not been a bad transition.

I think you'll find only united are allowed to have a "transition period," new managers at every other club just have to hit the ground running or be ridiculed/sacked.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
If we beat spurs and are in the fifth round of the cup then the manager's rotation worked. That's it. There is nothing more to be added.

So ultimately your point is because we won the game then we can't question the initial teamsheet that took us 2-0 down?

Because that's pretty daft.

He got his opening team wrong. We know he got his team wrong because we went 2-0 to a Championship side at home until HT.

He got his substitutions right. We know he got his substitutions right because we won the game 4-2 and turned around a 2-0 deficit.

This seems to be a reasoned and fundamentally logical argument.
He made an initial error, which he corrected, and we turned the game around.
So both criticism and praise are due.

It is only logical if you look at the game in isolation. But the game is not played in isolation, it is followed by a game against a fresh Spurs team in three days. If we had started with Vinny and Zab they would be more tired on Wednesday.

As it is is we won the game, and they have only played half a match. Instead of a full match.

Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:
So ultimately your point is because we won the game then we can't question the initial teamsheet that took us 2-0 down?

He got his opening team wrong. We know he got his team wrong because we went 2-0 to a Championship side at home until HT.

He got his substitutions right. We know he got his substitutions right because we won the game 4-2 and turned around a 2-0 deficit.

It is only logical if you look at the game in isolation. But the game is not played in isolation, it is followed by a game against a fresh Spurs team in three days. If we had started with Vinny and Zab they would be more tired on Wednesday.

As it is is we won the game, and they have only played half a match. Instead of a full match.

I understand what you're saying, which is effectively judge by the result, rather that the game's constituent parts, and that is a valid way to view a game retrospectively, but then you are essentially saying that providing a manager wins a game, then he is exonerated for any errors of judgement in the 90 minutes that went before, which I'm not sure I altogether go along with.
Resting Vinny and Zab I understand completely, as to be perfectly honest we should have the depth in our squad to accommodate their omission against a team 15th in the Championship.
For what it's worth, my take is that the manager got us out of a jail that we should never have been in at half time.

Didsbury Dave said:
Damocles said:

Harsh as it may seem, if players fail to match Manuel's expectations and he has to sub them, he also shares the blame. Would be different if they got injured maybe.

If Pellegrini deserves the credit for changing things to win the game then he deserves the criticism for the car crash of a first half too. Having said that we got though it with some key players not having to play a full 90 minutes.

George Hannah said:
Harsh as it may seem, if players fail to match Manuel's expectations and he has to sub them, he also shares the blame. Would be different if they got injured maybe.

Blame for what? We won the match.

You can complain to your heart's content about the things he got wrong. But if we're winning football matches the complaints will always come off as churlish and unnecessary. Particularly when you're not even talking about a tactical blunder - but the team selection (against a lower division side).

Damocles said:
Didsbury Dave said:
If we beat spurs and are in the fifth round of the cup then the manager's rotation worked. That's it. There is nothing more to be added.

He didn't make any error though. The players just failed to perform.

Rascal called it right a page or two back.

Pelly vs Keegan hahaha, that's piss funny.

Sorry if I'm not adding to the reasoned intelligent football debating with that comment.

This is all like a mirror image of when Mancini was in charge…

"He's fucking shit,he got it wrong…"

"But we won the match so it doesn't matter…"

"It does matter and we are well within our rights to discuss stuff he got wrong.."

My fucking head's hurting!

In Manuel I Trust.

Rascal said:
Damocles said:
Yes, as whether you picked the right side is determined almost wholly by the result, as Dave alluded to
Like Ob I think you are looking at things too simply.

Yesterday it appeared the plan was to give Micah and Jack 45 mins, otherwise why even bother with having zabs and vinny on the bench. The plan was always to give Jovetic 30 mins The fact we were 2 down at HT didnt appear to me to have any bearing on our subs. That VK and Zabs were warming up all ht shows it was preplanned and part of Pellers succesful rotation planning.

DD posted earlier in the thread about the need for rotation and I fully agree with his post

Bingo. Missed this - good post Rasc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.