City v Wigan Post Match Thread (FA Cup)

Not posted until now because I was spitting feathers yesteday. Poor show all round from the Manager to the players in the main. One or two exceptions.( Silva, Milner, Nasri)
I've read the thread and could go on at length about our shortcomings but to be honest it's all been covered. Two incidents in the game summed it all up for me.
Wigan's second goal. Clichy in a position to clear is beaten to the ball by a player who wants it more.
Other end. Edin Dzeko is in a position to tap ther ball into the empty net but somehow a defender who wants it more gets a foot to the ball and deflects it wide.
What I cannot get my head around is why?
Having just won a cup the platform was there to build upon. Beat Wigan and go to Barca with all guns blazing and a sense of confidence. We may still beat Barca but I can't help thinking it won't be a happy training ground this morning. Wigan wanted it more. Why?
Our 25 minute onslaught of the Wigan goal told me that they were there for a hammering had we applied ourselves from the Kick Off. So again why didn't we? Since we hammered Spurs at WHL the momentum has begun to falter. Injuries to Aguero and Fernandinho cost us v Chelsea and possibly Barca at home and FA Cup win over Chelsea aside ( kinda pointless now given yesterdays slip up), we have not hit those heights again consistently.
Very important run in now facing us and I don't get the sense we are anywhere close to our best. The great thing about this game is it can all change in an instant. Beat Barca and qualify and momentum may return. Fingers crossed.

Blue Tooth said:
Not posted until now because I was spitting feathers yesteday. Poor show all round from the Manager to the players in the main. One or two exceptions.( Silva, Milner, Nasri)
I've read the thread and could go on at length about our shortcomings but to be honest it's all been covered. Two incidents in the game summed it all up for me.
Wigan's second goal. Clichy in a position to clear is beaten to the ball by a player who wants it more.
Other end. Edin Dzeko is in a position to tap ther ball into the empty net but somehow a defender who wants it more gets a foot to the ball and deflects it wide.
Having just won a cup the platform was there to build upon. Beat Wigan and go to Barca with all guns blazing and a sense of confidence. We may still beat Barca but I can't help thinking it won't be a happy training ground this morning. Wigan wanted it more. Why?
Our 25 minute onslaught of the Wigan goal told me that they were there for a hammering had we applied ourselves from the Kick Off. So again why didn't we? Since we hammered Spurs at WHL the momentum has begun to falter. Injuries to Aguero and Fernandinho cost us v Chelsea and possibly Barca at home and FA Cup win over Chelsea aside ( kinda pointless now given yesterdays slip up), we have not hit those heights again consistently.
Very important run in now facing us and I don't get the sense we are anywhere close to our best. The great thing about this game is it can all change in an instant. Beat Barca and qualify and momentum may return. Fingers crossed.

Mentality my friend I think is the answer.
The manager and some of the players (not all of them) do not have a winners mentality.
Mourhino does. Mancini does. Klopp does and it shows. They can all be very abrasive but it comes with the person.
It was there to see yesterday BEFORE the game. Players having their photos taken on the pitch with their kids only seconds before the kick off.
The laughing & joking in the tunnel. The managers mentioned above wouldn't tolerate this. Unfortunately the 3 key players the manger unwisely chose leave out yesterday - VK, Zab & Ferdy all DO have that winning mentality. We missed it badly and we paid the price.

Yeah it all had a picnic feeling before the game. Pelle in his hoodie, players laughing with their kids on our half, Wigan players standing in a circle firing each other up.

Mentality is key in cup games, especially in close games. No matter how weak your squad is with the right mentality you can do wonders if the opponent mentality is shit no matter their starting team cost only 150m and not the usual 200-250m.

Unfortunately no guarantees Pelle will learn from it. Watford, Blackburn games were signs to take it extremely seriously and mabye only if we are up 2-0 or 3-0, we can take the foot off the gas and "relax" a bit. We didnt learn from those, dont know it will be different after the Wigan loss.

Huge week coming up, minimum expectation is 3 points at Hull and a result in Barcelona what we can be proud of at least. Basically a draw or win. Or a very small loss only if Barca plays really well and not because our defence gives them what they want.

pics and comments on the Wigan cup game are now online at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/citmar14a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/citmar14a.htm</a>

freewheelinfranklin said:
steviemc said:
freewheelinfranklin said:
This is why I rarely post on here...
Seriously though, don't be discouraged, your comments are equally as valid as mine, and I'm as bad as the next person for being emotional about results. I'm a bit old school and know how hard the club have struggled in the past to win a single trophy, and don't have enough fingers and toes to count our previous managers on.

You're opinion is still your opinion and the school jibe wasn't necessary, for which i apologise.

no problem, its been a bad day and we're all pretty raw.
if we had as much fight and passion as you two have we would still have a semi -final to attend

Blue Tooth said:
Clichy made a mistake. He doesn't make many

And his attitude at the end of the title-winning season when most had give up was inspiring.

The four over-riding issues were

1) the complacency we showed until 2-0,
2) yet more defensive errors,
3) team selection in central defence, and
4) the lack of form of our forwards due to injury. The injury to Negredo when 9-0 up was the manager's fault

Some fans are claiming teams have worked us out. I don't think that's a factor.

Pellegrini has to raise his game. His errors are costing us. It's rare that you can clearly pinpoint managerial decisions for poor results. Usually it's arguable, and down to subjective opinion. At the moment there is only one "Demwit".

stonerblue said:
The way some of the girls on here bleat on after a defeat is shocking. You'd think we've never lost a match before.
Well we don't lose many home FA Cup ties against lower division teams do we? Two or three in about 50 years.

Marvin said:
Blue Tooth said:
Clichy made a mistake. He doesn't make many

And his attitude at the end of the title-winning season when most had give up was inspiring.

The four over-riding issues were

1) the complacency we showed until 2-0,
2) yet more defensive errors,
3) team selection in central defence, and
4) the lack of form of our forwards due to injury. The injury to Negredo when 9-0 up was the manager's fault

Some fans are claiming teams have worked us out. I don't think that's a factor.

Pellegrini has to raise his game. His errors are costing us. It's rare that you can clearly pinpoint managerial decisions for poor results. Usually it's arguable, and down to subjective opinion. At the moment there is only one "Demwit".
Let me expand on point 1). Yaya was just not interested and that cost us. He had no need to keep coming deep as Garcia was there.
Secondly, this wasn't Pelle's fault! Any team he puts out should be able to beat Wigan FFS! We should've had 2 pens in the second half but didn't get them. Deme made a mistake but overall i thought he had a decent game. Pelle is going to keep playing him so fans getting on his back is going to get us nowhere.

East Level 2 said:
stonerblue said:
The way some of the girls on here bleat on after a defeat is shocking. You'd think we've never lost a match before.
Well we don't lose many home FA Cup ties against lower division teams do we? Two or three in about 50 years.

the anger is so strong because it was totally avoidable too. it was the fucking quarter final of the FA cup. or are we above all that now?

de niro said:
East Level 2 said:
stonerblue said:

the anger is so strong because it was totally avoidable too. it was the fucking quarter final of the FA cup. or are we above all that now?

Looks like it. The players and manager had a nice holiday camp atmosphere yesterday and look what happened.

If that had happened years ago when we were shit people would be fucking fuming today but for some reason some think its ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.