City v Wigan Post Match Thread (FA Cup)

What really baffled me on sunday was it took the management and players 60 mins to realise that all the space was in behind wigan and not in front ov them when teams play a high line you have to stretch them keep them turning.

uwe rosler 28 said:
What really baffled me on sunday was it took the management and players 60 mins to realise that all the space was in behind wigan and not in front ov them when teams play a high line you have to stretch them keep them turning.

I keep scratching my head and thinking why the fuck would you purposely put a team out to lose. now that's baffling.

de niro said:
uwe rosler 28 said:

I keep scratching my head and thinking why the fuck would you purposely put a team out to lose. now that's baffling.

Its a real sore defeat for you this bill isn't it don't think thats true. What time you fly out? Just waiting for taxi to airport now 9.15am flight

uwe rosler 28 said:
de niro said:
uwe rosler 28 said:

Its a real sore defeat for you this bill isn't it don't think thats true. What time you fly out? Just waiting for taxi to airport now 9.15am flight

must admit mate it's done me this one. seems daft after what we've gone through for years and years but it just has. i really think he has no clue what he's got in his hands. us city fans don't ask for much, well we don't ask for anything really we just follow the club with blind loyalty. the thing is nowadays we have hope and expectation, something we are not really used to, so when someone destroys that with an arrogance and disrespect for our opponents and the competition we are trying to win it gets me going. i'll never forget the day we handed arsene wenger the fa cup on a plate.

we leave tonight for an early plane tomorrow. can't wait :)

see you over there.

aidyblu76 said:
Chippy_boy said:
I posted something like this elsewhere (and said the same months ago), but basically this:

Hart, Kompany, Yaya, Fern, Silva, Nasri and Aguero are all brilliant. Then we have some good players, some fair ones and some crap. So long as we play the first 7, we win. Play 6 of them, we probably win. Play 5 and it's iffy. Play 4 and we lose. The fair to average players cannot hack it when too many of the A team are missing.

Yesterday, when we started with Hart, Kompany, Silva and Fern not playing, I thought here we go this should be interesting! How fucking right I was. It was a train wreck waiting to happen.

Couldn't agree more, although against lower league opposition we should be able to drop 2 or 3 as our 'good' and 'fare' players should have been plenty good enough to win the game. That said it was a quarter final, one very winnable game away from another Wembley appearance. And on top of that, against a team we owed big time for last year's final, so they should have been up for it even more so, therefore we should have started with a strong team to make sure of the result, then if and when we are comfortable, rest the better players and give the others a decent half

I still think our starting 11 should have been good enough to win though

The problem is it's always a cup final for our opponents. This was evident on Sunday as you would expect. The most important game of their season by a country mile. The beat us for intensity of play all over the park - especially in the first half and unless we can match that, then the only way we win is with superior skill. But when we play the B list players, they don't have superior skill.

We have to match the opposition's desire and work rate, or play superior players. Doing neither will not get results. It's easy to be wise after the event I know, but honestly I can't be the only one that saw this coming a mile off. The back four we played, combined with a midfield with Garcia in it, was always going to be risky at best. We relied on our strikers outscoring them, which given their current form (or lack of form) was never a good plan.

To me, Sunday demonstrated very simply how and why we are work in progress and several top players short in terms of squad quality and depth. It's not rocket science to see that we desperately need a better partner for Vince and cover for Yaya/Fern and cover for Zabba. We can't play our first 11 for 50+ games a season in all competitions and the backups are in certain cases just not up to it.

Am I the only person here who can see that this is going very wrong.
Why do we insist on playing Demichellis when he is clearly not cut out for the premier league. He has embarrassed us on many occasions now. Surely the management must be wondering what the fuck is going on. We should have gone with a stronger midfield and defence. IMO saving players for the game v Barca is a wasted point. I don't think we can recover those goals.
Poor management all round.

aidyblu76 said:
Chippy_boy said:
I posted something like this elsewhere (and said the same months ago), but basically this:

Hart, Kompany, Yaya, Fern, Silva, Nasri and Aguero are all brilliant. Then we have some good players, some fair ones and some crap. So long as we play the first 7, we win. Play 6 of them, we probably win. Play 5 and it's iffy. Play 4 and we lose. The fair to average players cannot hack it when too many of the A team are missing.

Yesterday, when we started with Hart, Kompany, Silva and Fern not playing, I thought here we go this should be interesting! How fucking right I was. It was a train wreck waiting to happen.

Couldn't agree more, although against lower league opposition we should be able to drop 2 or 3 as our 'good' and 'fare' players should have been plenty good enough to win the game. That said it was a quarter final, one very winnable game away from another Wembley appearance. And on top of that, against a team we owed big time for last year's final, so they should have been up for it even more so, therefore we should have started with a strong team to make sure of the result, then if and when we are comfortable, rest the better players and give the others a decent half

Agree with just about all of this, with one exception. James Milner is most definitely one of our good players, and on his day, as at Munich, he's starting to get within touching distance of that elite company you've just listed. What on earth was he doing on the bench? He is a bloody good squad player, and personally I'd be surprised if we hold him (he'd walk into virtually any other Premiership side). He should have been on that pitch from the whistle.

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
aidyblu76 said:
Chippy_boy said:

Agree with just about all of this, with one exception. James Milner is most definitely one of our good players, and on his day, as at Munich, he's starting to get within touching distance of that elite company you've just listed. What on earth was he doing on the bench? He is a bloody good squad player, and personally I'd be surprised if we hold him (he'd walk into virtually any other Premiership side). He should have been on that pitch from the whistle.

Agree with this, and in fact I never mentioned Zabba who is never going to win a game for us on his own, but is definitely in the excellent camp.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:26 am --<br /><br />
rnblade said:
Am I the only person here who can see that this is going very wrong.
Why do we insist on playing Demichellis when he is clearly not cut out for the premier league. He has embarrassed us on many occasions now. Surely the management must be wondering what the fuck is going on. We should have gone with a stronger midfield and defence. IMO saving players for the game v Barca is a wasted point. I don't think we can recover those goals.
Poor management all round.

In his defence, we have no idea what Khaldoon et al will have said to Audrey about the Barca game. For all we know he's told him to prioritise Barca above all else, which would not be inconceivable given the importance we have placed on progressing in the CL.

I think we are getting a few things out of proportion here, with regards to our playing staff and their relative ability. If we accept Aguero, Toure and Nasri are up to it, the rest of them don't seem to be too shabby.
Richards 241 appearances and 13 full caps. MDM 406 appearances (including plenty for B Munich) and 37 caps. Lescott 474 appearances and 26 caps with Clichy having made 255 appearances and been capped 20 times. As a defence, it might not be top drawer but it should not equate to 'picking a team to lose'.
Into midfield and Navas has 428 appearances and 34 caps, Garcia 204 and 2caps and Negredo has 412 appearances and 21 caps. I know these three have only been capped by Spain so we shouldn't read too much into it but....
Just saying that we could well have just had an off day or could be having an off couple of weeks but there is no need to reach for the cyanide just yet.

Simple: if the opponents are up for it and our starting 11 care for just 30 min., any result is possible. We do have a few players with limited qualities, not coincidental the ones with a British pasport representing a big part of those players. They were hardly to blame in this one (except Lescott when having the ball. God, he's hopeless). But if the regular starters with special qualities (Yaya, Aguero, Nasri, Negredo. Navas) let us down, we are in trouble as would any decent footballteam.
Wigan and Rosler were up for it, they played us in a perfect moment and took momentum. Credits to them. For us fans we were robbed another fine Wembley-trip vs Arsenal, and maybe after that anfinal. Saved me a lot of money, but I would have gladly spent it. It wasn't to be. And I'm still absolutely gutted about it (explains my reaction so many days later).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.