City vs Bayern Munich Post match Thread

sh249 said:
daxman said:
grim up north said:
You also need the ball
Bayern didn't show any desire. They simply showed a level of professional expertise that we couldn.t match.
Of course, technically they're on a different planet to us. Tactically too at the moment. But they also showed masses of desire, not only to press and to (want to) work their bollocks off, but also to get on the ball and play, even under pressure. The lack of bravery on the part of our players - excluding the three subs - was mindblowing.
It had little to do with desire. Navas showed a lot of desire. He chased every ball. and when he got cornered on every pass he got in the first half, he tried to run with it to the middle looking for someone to pass too. Dihno showed desired. Slide tackled chased, try to harrass and all. So did Nasri and Aguero. Clichy too and Micah too. There were City players all over the pitch working their arses off. But the talent, tecchnique, and tactics were so superior, they were often left gasping.

This is a syndrome common to Very good teams that play Guardiola teams for the first time. The difference in class shocks you to your bones. Gi watch every Madrid/Barca battle under Guardiola, it was always the new big money Madrid buys that looked the most lost. Coz they'd have never witnessed anything like that before. Check out the 5-0 smashing of Madrid under Guardiola, Ozil, Khadera and Benzema all looked confused. Our guys looked proper confused and mind fucked. Aguero got the ball for the first time in 30 minutes and literally was too mentally drained to attack Boateng. The same Boateng that got eaten for lunch by alsorans in the prem. Nasri had the same problem, he had chased for 25 minutes and when he finally had his first possession of the ball, his mind was all fucked. He had turned into a defender. He simply turned around and passed to Clichy.

These consciensious possession and early pressure system, fuks with you on so many levels. It sapped the confidence right out of our players.

I still reckon playing with 2 strikers in any game is ancient and silly. Just like having 2 DMs is silly, or playing with a hardman DM who mostly tackles is silly. These are all static ideas. And we (like most teams in the Prem) adhere to one or more of these follies. Lahm was a DM for Bayern today, and I barely remember him making any tackles. Coz most often he was busy passing the shaite out of us. Same with Busquet at Barca. They really don't make tackles. They force turnovers by shrinking the field in areas. And it starts from the top.

I get sad, when all these clearly tactical decisions are designated as some unquantifiable quality like "desire" or "passion" or "effort." Rather this are tactical roles that players need to play or they wouldn't make the 11. Muller must always cut off one side of the field once the ball is played back to the keeper, forceing the keeper to either give it to the player Muller wants him to give it to, or punt it up field for a 50/50. He did this all game. This wasn't effort, it was tactical.

Alaba, Kroos, Ribery and Lahm, once Muller had forced eithr Kompany or Hart to give Navas the ball, immediately converge on him. The CDs Immediately step up and shorten the field, suddenly Navas is in a pickle and has to dribble his way backwards to find any daylight. This wasn't effort or desire or passion> It was simply tactics. A thing that was repeated time and time again.

Effort is when Milner chases the ball from Dante to Neuer to Rafinhna back to Neuer who then releases it to Lahm. Rooney did the same in the CL final against Barca a few years back, and tired out in 20 minutes and stopped doing it. Effort doesn't work against this kind of clinical football. Beating "effort" or "desire" is built into the system. Nasri Did the exact runnaround around minute 29, and had the exact same result as Milner. Nothing. Dzeko did the same (albeit he gave up After going from one defender to the goalie) but had he continue to run at all four, he would have achieved the exact same result.

It is their Tactical and technical superiority that is debilitating, not our lack of effort. On lucky days (with superior teams having an off day) "effort" might get you something. But on a day when they are up for it, you'd better be as tactically proficient and lucky!

We were neither today. So we got schooled.

We never looked comfortable at all with their level of pressing, I think with one striker and silva as the extra man we might not of got so overrun in midfield. Expected this to be a tough game but we just couldn't cope with their level of football. Fair play to Pep and Bayern, I haven't seen a team as good as them at the Etihad before, they'd have to do bad to not win it again this year. As for us I think this should be a harsh lesson to the manager to stamp some control in the game without setting up to score 10 every match and not doing, we were far too open and it doesn't work like that at this level.

Bluemoonie92 said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
We won't play a team as good as Bayern until we play them away. All three of their goals were down to errors we made. But they played us off the park for near enough the entirety of the match. Should have stuck another midfielder on earlier, but hey ho.

thats only about 8 weeks away mate, GULP ;)
We might have recovered by then after chasing all those shadows for what seemed like an eternity!

They were better than us, end of.

We tried to press them for the first 10 minutes, so they passed it round us. We backed off, they passed it round us. Not due to lack of effort or commitment, they are just better.

The problem we have is that we aren't classed as one of the lesser teams and as such they never underestimate us. We are unlikely to see a Celtic v Barca upset until we are at the same level, and then it won't be classed as an upset.

No shame in the performance tonight though.

Silva on his cameo will destroy Everton.

And back off Pellegrini, he decided to go for it, no shame in that after we took apart the Rags. I too was confident before the game and if the manger isn't then who will be?

brian the blue said:
Pellegrini had an absolute mare tonight. Got everything wrong.

Anyone could have seen we needed someone else in midfield as early as about 5 minutes into the match. Aguero poses a problem in these games as he's our main man and it seems like no matter what he has to play. Whereas if we had a manager with some balls and a bit of tactical nous he would've known that a midfield 3 was required with a genuine target man up front.

Then to cap it all off did the classic "change it when the games lost" bullshit that anyone could do after we got destroyed in midfield for 70 minutes.

Playing 4-1-3-2 tonight was worse than Mancini playing 3-5-2 last season in my opinion.

Getting rid of Mancini was the right thing to do, but it's looking like appointing Pellegrini is turning out to be a bit of a disaster.

A few years ago, Kompany got sent off & we lost an FA Cup game 2-3 to the rags. Remember it?
If you do, you'll also remember the guy who played for an hour, as a lone striker in a ten man team... Aguero. He was motm.
Pellegrini had a mare tonight. He should never have persisted with two up front.
I think the plan was to give Silva 20 minutes, regardless. Tonight being his season debut, that's probably understandable. How he didn't bring Milner or Garcia on for a striker, 30 minutes in, is beyond me.
Nasty is having a dreadful run of form too. Utd and Villa both benefited from frees he gave away on the edge of the box - and he gifted another in the first half tonight. He's young and he needs a spell out of the limelight. So does Joe Hart, possibly.

Bottomless_Sailor said:
No reason to panic. We were outplayed for sure, but I actually think it would have been a VERY different game had Hart stopped that relatively easy Ribery goal early on. The opening stages were likely to set the tone for the match and you literally felt everything deflate at that moment. It's hard to play with confidence from the back when your goalkeeper is letting in pea shooter shots left right and centre; Hart was the platform Bayern built from.

It's all well and good blaming Pellegrini and saying that we should have played 5 in midfield, but 4-4-2 is the formation that clicked against Manchester United, did we really want to make a last minute change in formation in order to try and beat the European Champions at their own game? And mid-game, chasing goals, would it have really made a difference sacrificing a striker to bring in a player whose job Aguero was supposed to be doing anyway?

Plzen are a Champions League comedy side, CSKA only just scraped past them at home today, we'll qualify for the knockout rounds whatever happens and by the time of the knockout matches themselves hopefully Hart and the rest of the team will have built up some consistency.

+1

bobmcfc said:
We got owned, we even clapped off their subs

I certainly started the ball rolling in the CB Stand,once I saw the official showing that Robben was coming off.A massive round of applause from me and then it esculated,all around the CB3 area.
Absolutely wonderful player and he certainly caused us no end of problems.Oh for a natural left sided winger.

Credit to Bayern - great performance.

But four two fucking two against probably the best side in Europe?!

I've said it before, but the Pellegrini is 60 years old and if he was ever going to be a great manager he'd have been one by now.

Frank Gallagher said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I'm afraid Pellegrini got this horribly, totally wrong. Allowing Bayern an extra man in midfield was always courting absolute disaster. Doing nothing at all about it was completely clueless. Admittedly Joe sent out an invitation after 7minutes to them to play the game they love , but the only response of the manager was to look at his watch to see how much longer the agony was to last! Agreed Bayern are a great side , and City gift wrapped all three goals, but this is the manager brought in to improve our performances in Europe. We may be lucky that we are in a group with Plzen and Moscow, but Mancini never presided over an abject shambles such as this.

spot fucking on.... 442 with Dzeko strolling round up front..... just totally open to be humiliated in Midfield
Mancini never??? Get to fuck you lunatics. Short fucking memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.