City vs Bayern Post Match Thread

supercrystal7 said:
mad zab said:
adrianr said:
Have to say LC I don't agree - Don't think there was anything elite looking about us bar Sergio. We went 2-1 down to 10 men, in the CL especially with our previous record that's as ridiculous as it is unforgivable. Like Rammy says above, not a single man in our midfield today would get into Bayerns side, I still think we're a long way off and Aguero is a god among men. The whole team should be giving him at least a weeks wages. We were 120 seconds away from this site disappearing into a black hole.

The difference is the manager.

Bayern won the CL before Guardiola joined them. However, they never dominated the possession like they do now. As with Barcelona Pep gets his team to play this wonderful possession game because he doesn't pander to fools and ensures his team practice the high pressing passing game.

Pep is the best manager in the world and if he was our manager we would be qualifying with ease. Also he would have better defenders than he has at Bayern. Their achilles heel is defending against pace. This was obvious tonight. Just think what he would do with defenders like Kompany and Mangala in his team.
Mourinho is the best and Pep has always inherited the best teams in the world so far and over time has only managed to weaken them. Bayern always dominated possession going back to the Van Gaal days (hell a big criticism of them then was they dominated possession and did nothing with it). Not to this extent, but they were still only 2nd to Barca. Pep has increased the possession stats, but completely thrown away their defensive stability and like Pellegrini he also cannot teach a team to score from corners.

Bayern have the best back 5 in the world easily. Boateng made the mistake today, but he is as good as any defender in the world not named Thiago Silva. It's the tactics that make them susceptible to pace, because like today he made them stand on the half way line against Aguero. It was a suicidal tactic. If Bayern had dropped deeper, they would have negated Aguero's great strength and forced City to try and create without their two most creative players. Of course they would have had less possession, but they would have been more solid.

If he fails to win the CL then his time at Bayern will have been a complete failure. I look at this Chelsea team with inferior players in every position with the exceptionarguably Hazard and arguably Costa have perfect balance.

This garbage he inherited a successful Barcelona team is a complete myth! He was the one that made the Barcelona team when it was in danger of falling apart under Riijkard!

He was the one that instilled the high pressing game and got the best out of his players.
Give him and Mourinho the same players and I guarantee Pep would be more successful.

As for Bayern having the best back 5 in world football....what utter crap! Lahm and Neur are World Class...the rest just good players. That is the reason we beat them 3-2 at their place last year.

Champions2012! said:
GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Not so fast

1416953191864.jpg

Maybe Pellegrini was reading The Metro before the game in Munich last season?

Silva_Spell said:
Thank fuck for Aguero because that was a poor performance tonight.

It wasn't though, because you have to remember Bayern are better than us. Much, much better. People have to admit this and then that would put tonight into context. So even with 10 men, it was always going to be a challenge and it wasn't like playing even Arsenal or United with 10 men. Tactically and technically, Bayern are much better than us and stand on a level with Real Madrid and Barca, still a fair bit above us.

But we showed guts and character, the players worked very hard against a team that just beat Roma 7-1, and got a result by exploiting their mistakes. So I'd say no, it wasn't a poor performance at all. It was City, in the rare role of being an inferior team against a superior team, doing what the likes of West Ham have done against us, working their bollox off against a better team to get a great result.

This was better than last year's win over Bayern for one reason: they weren't complacent this year and as Pep said, played very well and worked very hard. Last year they were lazy and far from vintage.

GaudinoMotors said:
mad zab said:
schfc6 said:
If you think Nasri was a 5 tonight, you're an idiot. I simply don't understand people like you. I agree on Milner & Mangala though.

He did nothing! Just tell me what he did going forward?

Nasri a 5??
Jeez say goodnight to the folks Gracie.
I think some people need to up the skill level on their FIFA if you think you just nutmeg and skip round teams like Bayern. They were mesmerisingly good tonight - the complete package. Would do some on here a lot of good to appreciate how good the opposition are sometimes.

No problem in saying Bayern were great in possession....but that doesn't stop me in saying that Nasri wasn't up to standard tonight, Our best midfielders were Lampard (who was class) and Fernando.

Our defence that has been very suspect this year actually played well tonight apart from Sagna and Hart IMO

That is why we were still in the game for Kun to win it.

lastmanback said:
the difference between city and any of the top
champions league teams is pure and simple,
intensity. we don't press as a team or defend as a unit.
until we get that we will never win champions league.
we will always depend on individual piece's of brilliance.
tonight was classic example.
Bayern were already qualified and didn't need to make
so much of an effort but still done the basics and gave us
the runaround with 10 men.
we have the players but not the intensity ?
Don't judge City's potential by what we have seen so far

We are playing well below par in Europe because we have a monkey on our back

No point making judgements on tonights game when so many players were missing and the players were playing under great pressure

We should have qualified comfortably in 2nd place because CSKA were a poor team. And even though we won tonight, really we have thrown 5 points away against CSKA. We should be celebrating qualifying tonight instead we are hanging on by our finger nails

All this shite about rummeniges lot and ten men , f*ck 'em , if their centre back is stupid enough to get sent off , tough shit , i have no sympathy ,and the munichs had a lot of the ball and created f*ck all , they made two mistakes at the back , and we punished them.
We haver played the munichs six times in recent seasons , won 3 lost 3 , and i couldnt give a shit if they had nothing to play for in some of those games , germans dont like losing.
We had 5 players out tonight , the munichs rested 2 first team players , and we beat them , that is all that matters , the german rags can have 99% possession, but Joe Hart had only one save to make all the game , bring on Roma.

Delighted with the result, was a true "aguerooooo" moment that will be remembered for a long time but the main thing i took away from tonight was just how far away we are from becoming a European elite team. They gave us a lesson in possession football and shown us how to press as a team and put genuine pressure on the ball rather than just give the illusion of pressing a man. And all that with 10 men. Was a pleasure to watch such a good team and no surprise when i got home to hear pep say he was very proud of his team despite losing.

I know we were missing some key midfielders tonight but that midfield 5 was very average and none of them would get a sniff in at the likes of Bayern.

A major upgrade on Navas should be a priority for us he's just not good enough for what we need, a pacy winger is so vital to our play but his inability to beat a man and his woeful decision making is really hurting us.

I'm a Nasri fan, he's is neat and tidy, retains possession well enough but he just doesn't do enough as an attacking midfielder to warrant a starting place in our team. Rarely assists, rarely scores, doesn't dictate our tempo, doesn't play incisive balls like Silva. doesn't take people on.

Fernando is still getting to grips with our team so i won't judge him completely yet but he's not impressed so far at all,

Milner is tireless and adaptable, everybody needs a few players like him in their squad.

It's a shame lampard isn't younger, showed his class at times tonight.

Elsewhere, Clichy had another very good game, just needs to find some consistency. Mangala i thought was impressive, played some great balls out of defence rather than just passing it sideways as the rest of our back 4 usually do. and nothing needs to be said about Kun.

CaliforniaBlue said:
bitsmith said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
Someone posted the tie-breaker rules on the match thread and it's just the traditional goal difference as the first tie breaker iirc. Since we're now at -1 and Roma and CSKA are both -4, any draw takes us through as long as CSKA don't beat Bayern, and any win takes us through as long as CSKA don't beat Bayern by 3 more than we win by.

Not any draw. head to head is first, 0:0 draw and Roma qualifies.
Quite right - I realized after posting this that I'd mis-read the tiebreaker rules. I thought it was straight goal difference (in which case 0-0 would work for us), but it's actually goal difference between the teams tied on points. If only two teams have the same points, that becomes a straight head-to-head, but if three teams are tied, it's the goal difference from all the games between those three teams.

If CSKA lose, then a tie would put us head-to-head with Roma and then we'd lose out with a 0-0 on away goals. If we tie 1-1, we'd be tied head-to-head with Roma, in which case the next tiebreaker is total goal difference in the group, which would put us through on account of their 7-1 loss to Bayern.

If CSKA draws with Bayern, we need to beat Roma, as this would put all three teams on 6 points, and Roma have a much better goal difference than us in the games between the three.
Thanks for that mate. So 1-1 will get us through provided bayern beat cska.

Re: If the pen hadn't been given...

Do you all really think that ref had a good game?
Lewandowski's 'foul' for their first goal was the most blatant dive I've seen in ages.
Not to mention plenty of other decisions.
I was shocked that the ref actually applied the law for Agüero's penalty, and then thought we might have a decent ref.
However, it was the usual decisions later in the game. A Villa fan watching with me even couldn't believe some of the decisions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.