City vs Bayern Post Match Thread

Re: If the pen hadn't been given...

cleavers said:
Having seen replays, it was pretty soft, as I thought at the time, though there is definitely some minimal contact.

We should go over more often though, everyone else does it.

It was nailed on cleavers,probably Sergio could have stayed on his feet....but why the fuck should he? ive noticed our players often don't get the decisions they deserve because of their determination to remain honest,it very frequently results in us getting a raw deal.

When an opportunity presents itself,we need to be as cute as our opposition and grab with both hands,as Sergio rightly did.

FantasyIreland said:
cleavers said:
Having seen replays, it was pretty soft, as I thought at the time, though there is definitely some minimal contact.

We should go over more often though, everyone else does it.

It was nailed on cleavers,probably Sergio could have stayed on his feet....but why the fuck should he? ive noticed our players often don't get the decisions they deserve because of their determination to remain honest,it very frequently results in us getting a raw deal.

When an opportunity presents itself,we need to be as cute as our opposition and grab with both hands,as Sergio rightly did.

I don't think he was being cute, a 6 foot 3 centre half slid into him with his tree trunk leg and took both of Sergio's legs out from under him.

Superb result.

Aguero was unbelievable, best striker in the world IMO.

Thought that was one of our best CL performances. Yes Bayern had 10 men, but a 10 man Bayern would probably still win the Premiership!

Interesting that our 2 best results in the CL have come without Yaya - certainly food for thought.

Also good to see us play 4-3-3, definitely the way forward in the CL I think.

Now let's go and beat the pensioners in Rome and get to the last 16.

I hate Bayern and I hate it they have been the best team in this competition over the past few years. They control the possessiongame to more effect than Barcelona a couple of years ago. And if you put our squad next to theirs, how many of us will walk straight in to their team? So as hard as the media tries to make us believe we should simply walk over a 10 men Bayern outfit, they are wrong. As usual when it comes to us. Now we suddenly are a one men team as well. Whatever.

I thought we started off good, with Pellegrini setting us up just the way Real Madrid played Bayern last year. Letting their midfield have the ball. After we were 1 up and a man up, we still let them have the ball except the danger seemed out of their game up until Hart decided to plant his wall and hide behind it for them to struck the easiest of freekicks. And another cross that landed wel on head and shoulders made it a big struggle for us.
In the 2nd half Bayern started to play deeper and deeper, and they hardly created clear goalchances. Again maybe more of the ball, but to no harm. The only thing was we hardly created chances for ourselves and the pace Aguero got in the first half vanished. It therefore became harder to break them down. But we kept trying and got our reward. Yes, both huge mistakes by Bayern players, So were ours when we let them score. Aguero would never had got his 3rd if he didn't chase the player. Aguero was fantastic. Lampard great. And lots of players played well. Maybe Hart was the only one who will look back and think he should have done better.

In the end we won. And we are still in with a chance. I expect us not to win in Rome (maybe we don't even have to), but we are still in with a chance so it'll be a great game to look foreward to. That's all that matters: getting through to the knock-out rounds. Bonus might be this result gives the team a lift they desperately need. Therefore I'm already looking foreward playing the Saints.

Mind you, if we qualify for the knock out rounds ... we will win the bloody thing. Chelsea did a few years ago and no-one remembered they hardly won a game and most of the time were 2nd best. Except for the final score.

CityFan94 said:
Superb result.

Aguero was unbelievable, best striker in the world IMO.

Thought that was one of our best CL performances. Yes Bayern had 10 men, but a 10 man Bayern would probably still win the Premiership!

Interesting that our 2 best results in the CL have come without Yaya - certainly food for thought.

Also good to see us play 4-3-3, definitely the way forward in the CL I think.

Now let's go and beat the pensioners in Rome and get to the last 16.

Good post. Agree with that.

BlueAnorak said:
I don't think players should be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity. It encourages cheating by the attacker and it pretty much ruins every game where the sending off occurs.

To improve things the following should apply:
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies OUTSIDE the box then a penalty should be given.
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies INSIDE the box then a penalty should be given with two chances to score from the pen.
A yellow card should only be given if the foul is deliberate, red if violent/dangerous.

Agree with this. Never worked out how giving away a penalty is denying a goal scoring opportunity. As it's supposed to be 'an obvious goal scoring opportunity' (not last man, no such thing in the laws), if it's in the box, why not give a yellow card and award a penalty goal? Outside the box, red card.

1. Mangala - whilst good in places mostly scares the cr*p out of me with some of the things he does.
2. We need more goals from midfield.
3. We must sign another striker in January or address point 2 if it can;'t be done.
4. Thank flip for Aguero.
5. And breathe

Oh, and whilst I detest Paul Scholes (why have they got a rag commentating on a City match FFS) he was mostly correct in his
summarisation. Adrian Chiles is just a bumbling fool.

Firstly great to win. Players harried Bayern and pressed them as required. We have some hope for Rome, although we will again need a similar performance to win and perhaps some magic from David Silva. Possibly the same team as last night to start in Rome with Silva in for Nasri ?

I have to say stand out performances have to go to Clichy, Sagna and of course Aguero.

Like many, I thought Zabaleta would start and have thought Sagna and Clichy weak links most times for City, but credit to our 2 full backs last night.

Also good games from Mangala, Navas and Lampard.

Slightly poorer games from Milner and Nasri

Toures' absence (for all his great attacking qualities when he is on his game) was a good thing last night as we looked less exposed defensively.

Secondly though, is if we want to get to be thought of with the likes of Bayern, Real Mardrid, Barcelona etc and win the Champions League, should we not\will we not need a team of players as equally adept as passing and good possession and movement as Bayern had last night (and mostly with 10 men). Yes in the end last night we scored the goals and won, but most times being dominated by not having the ball will result in us losing, especially if we do not press opponents as well as we did for most of last nights games.

Having most of the ball and incisive quick forward play together with a clinical attacker(s) and a good pressing game when we do not have the ball, wins games.

We have a clinical attacker (Aguero) and last night also pressed well without the ball (something we do not always do), but we want to win this competition, and thus need more players to give us better possession against good opponents as well as weaker opponents, and be quicker in attacking. We lack enough players for the latter 2 qualities a team will need to win against any opponent. This is what needs to be looked at next summer for transfers in and out of the club, good players who work\press opponents well and good players who can provide us quick and incisive movement forward, and another clinical attacker\support player to go with Aguero.

A ten man Bayern would win the premier league? They out played is with ten but that was one of our performances in Europe?

Some ridiculous comments on here. We went 1-0 up against ten and then they took the piss for 75 mins in a game they didn't even need to win. Aguero saved us single handedly. Yet again big questions have to be asked. What were those substitutions? Had Bayern not made two defensive errors that would have been humiliating last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.