City vs Bayern Post Match Thread

Re: If the pen hadn't been given...

Shows how shit the refs have been that I was stunned by that decision today.

I don't think players should be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity. It encourages cheating by the attacker and it pretty much ruins every game where the sending off occurs.

To improve things the following should apply:
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies OUTSIDE the box then a penalty should be given.
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies INSIDE the box then a penalty should be given with two chances to score from the pen.
A yellow card should only be given if the foul is deliberate, red if violent/dangerous.

LoveCity said:
Silva_Spell said:
Thank fuck for Aguero because that was a poor performance tonight.

It wasn't though, because you have to remember Bayern are better than us. Much, much better. People have to admit this and then that would put tonight into context. So even with 10 men, it was always going to be a challenge and it wasn't like playing even Arsenal or United with 10 men. Tactically and technically, Bayern are much better than us and stand on a level with Real Madrid and Barca, still a fair bit above us.

But we showed guts and character, the players worked very hard against a team that just beat Roma 7-1, and got a result by exploiting their mistakes. So I'd say no, it wasn't a poor performance at all. It was City, in the rare role of being an inferior team against a superior team, doing what the likes of West Ham have done against us, working their bollox off against a better team to get a great result.

This was better than last year's win over Bayern for one reason: they weren't complacent this year and as Pep said, played very well and worked very hard. Last year they were lazy and far from vintage.
Great post LC, totally agree with your assessment, Bayern are a fabulous team to watch play football, even though I hate them as a club. They outplayed us tonight, with a man down, but we didn't play poor, we played pretty well, and ultimately Pep settled for 2-1, and once we equalised, which we had threatened to do (we spent a lot of time in their last third in the second half), they had nothing left to attack us with. It may have been two mistakes from them that helped us win it, but our players never gave up, and for that alone they deserved the win.

Wonderful night, so glad I made the effort to attend, it was my daughters first ever european game, she's delighted, and we spent the 3 hour journey home reminiscing about the truly shite, often funny (self depricating), and sometimes great nights that we and she endured in the past.

BlueAnorak said:
I don't think players should be sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity. It encourages cheating by the attacker and it pretty much ruins every game where the sending off occurs.

To improve things the following should apply:
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies OUTSIDE the box then a penalty should be given.
If the 'denying a goal scoring opportunity' law applies INSIDE the box then a penalty should be given with two chances to score from the pen.
A yellow card should only be given if the foul is deliberate, red if violent/dangerous.

Letter of the law though, Benatia was the last man and took out serge, plain and simple a red card. Guardiola's reaction after the tackle tells you everything you need to know.

The ref was excellent in my view last night. He might not be getting a bribe from Uefa like a few fellow refs I could point out but at least he'll still have his integrity firmly intact. Well done Sir!

cleavers said:
Having seen replays, it was pretty soft, as I thought at the time, though there is definitely some minimal contact.

We should go over more often though, everyone else does it.

Hmmmm………I just had a look again, have to disagree, Benatia took his legs from under him and got nowhere near the ball (despite pointing at the ball straight after).

Not even sergio could have stayed on his feet, and we know he would have preferred to, and would probably have scored anyway.

Nailed on pen in my book.

I thought Man City to a man were superb tonight. Even players I've had doubts about, namely Clichy and Fernhando who had good games closing down Bayern's threat and even when they scored there strange yet expected goals, (fuck me their forward jumps between two of our defenders and it slides off his shoulder right into the net) I thought City were still playing well. Even their first was a godsend for them. Namely Hart not organising the wall properly.

cleavers said:
Having seen replays, it was pretty soft, as I thought at the time, though there is definitely some minimal contact.

We should go over more often though, everyone else does it.

Did you think Rojo's "minimal contact' on Yaya in the Derby was soft as well?

It is about time that we had some decisions in our favour because I'll bet the players are sick and tired of the crap refereeing they have had to endure this season.

Great performance by the team, Kun and Mangala especially were superb. Sagna had his best game for us as well.

Nasri/Navas continue to frustrate and Fern was bekow oar and looked out on his feet by 70 mins.

Thought the first sub change was strange but we won so Pelli was either right or got lucky.

Munich put in a typical European performance for them. They are a very good side, break fast, Neuet is almost a Centre Half vat times, The possession stats suggest that even withb10 men against a City team with 5 in midfield we struggled to get a kick at times.

I think if they'd carried on playing instead of moaning and time wasting we'd have lost, weather they were knackered from playing with 10 men causing this I don't know.

Finally what a player Kun is. Just wow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.