City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

80s Shorts said:
kippaxage6 said:
Chippy_boy said:
A shite performance and a shite/bent ref are not mutually exclusive you know.

We were dreadful, yes. But so was the ref.

Because of the ref we were shite. They should have had 10 men after 4 mins, he never booked a Roma player for a foul or 5, it broke up the play, he blew b4 any advantage, this site is full of idiots, I used to like reading it but I now give up, apart from GDM who I will read.

I believe you can purchase transcripts of his posts for a small fee. It is better value if you pay by direct debit though.
Bigger discounts for cash.

jollylescott said:
Blue Hefner said:
Having to bring Lampard on in a Champs League game shows how thin we are in midfield

I'd sell Yaya and buy two midfield players who are mobile

Putting aside the pro/anti Yaya views for a moment, to me the key to success in Europe is exactly this. If you look at the stronger European teams they have an abundance of fast, young, mobile midfielders. In contrast we are having to rely on Frank, at the age of 36, to dig us out of a hole.

We are so painfully thin in midfield it isn't funny. Having watched our dynamic under 19 team play a little earlier, there are actually players in that team who show more mobility and graft than our 2 man midfield.

Having said that we looked much stronger in the second half when Jimmy and Frank came on. We got some control of the game once we did that.

Pellers has to accept that we don't have the midfield to play both Sergio and Edin together in European competition. We can get away with it in our League, but not in Europe.

It really is Groundhog Day yet again. Out thought and out fought.

Frustrating. But I don't think it's so much that we don't have the midfielders, it's more that they aren't getting deployed correctly. For me, we are continually hamstrung in Europe by Manuel's stubborn selections. If he insists on going two up top with Navas wide then we are always going to struggle because we are completely overrun in midfield. With that line-up, Fernandinho is doing all the defensive midfield donkey work on his own ... Silva puts a shift in but he's not a defender, Yaya just doesn't do defence these days ... and Navas is neither use nor ornament in these games. If he sticks with two up, then play two from Fernandinho/Fernando/Milner as the holders, Yaya just in front and Silva with a free role behind the strikers. Or just play one up top if he wants to play Navas. But to ask Fernandinho to do practically all the defensive mid cover on his own is asking too much!

BlueTaylor91 said:
From City tweeting about Totti never scoring in England

To the first half performance

To then seeing Scholes at HT mentioning how empty the stadium was

To the second half performance

To then Rio tweeting about our stadium expansion and not filling it

Overall what a crap night!

Get a life you sad mid table twat

I would say without 9-11 points we just wont go trough.

6 points vs CSKA is what Bayern/Roma will have too. Us hopefully too if not than no reason to even thin we can advance...

Thats 6 points for the 3 stronger teams as a basic.

I think Roma at home will get a draw vs Bayern especially if De Rossi, Strootman can be back for them. At home Bayern beats them tho.
That is 8 points for Romabefore last game Roma-City.
We probably get a draw vs Bayern at home if Pelle doesnt fuck up completely and makes the needed changes in formation. That is 8 points too for us.
Roma-City could be huge pressure in this case, and only beating Bayern at home could put us into a situation where a draw is good enough in Rome.

But right know its hard to see how we turn around what we saw in Byern and today game and we just go out, play fearless style vs Bayern and beat them and in a bloody tough atmosphere in Olimpico vs a very good Roma side when we hardly did much at home vs a Roma that had their best players out with injuries.

Too many tactical/mental problems in our CL games it wont change in a fucking week or month. Its deeper than that. Key players not performing to their level regularly. Its not just Yaya...

We usually waste a half or 60-70 minutes before we correct the mistakes that comes from putting up the wrong team/formation. In CL you get punished for that. do your job before the game and get it right is the way to avoid it.

You want two strikers on? Good then have 4 midfielder that work their ass off and cant stop running 90 minutes otherwise you will be open. The way Silva/Yaya tracks back to help is a fucking big present to any opponent's manager.
Remember what Frank de Boer said years ago that City have players that decide when to run when to relay in games like Balotelli, Nasri etc.
Discipline is huge part of of tactics.

Hard to be optimistic about reaching next stage. Yes we can beat Roma away, but more likely that we go there and start a midfield duo again by that time we could 2-0 down tho...
Also today we were lucky they missed top players. Maybe next time they wont and we will miss Silva, Aguero, Kompany. Whats then?

CL is a priority for the board imo, not winning it but reaching a late stage like a semifinal finally...

I am yet to see anything that would make other teams really fear from City in CL. They dont fear us, we keep making same mistakes, being open, not being aggressive enough, tactical mistakes in a row, and all we get is punishing for all these things.

Once again against a hard working, effective counter-attacking team we looked short on quality, intensity and desire. How on current form and application does Milner not walk into that starting XI ? Taking Dzeko off instead of Aguero was another mistake when Lampard came on. Dzeko was clearly our best player in the first half. What has happened to Yaya this season ? Apart from his lack of effort, he doesn't shoot, doesn't take any free kicks - his contribution has really tailed off sharply. Kolarov should also be starting home games instead of Clichy although Silva gave Clichy no protection whatsoever compared to that Navas gave Zaba on the othe side.

Starting 2 upfront is a no-goer in Europe especially when Aguero, Silva (tonight at least) and Toure do nothing on the defensive side of the game. Compare to the effort Roma put in pressing and re-cycling possession we looked well short tonight. Only when Milner and Lampard were introduced did we looked like we wanted it.

Think the players came out very flat and we created very little at all over 95 minutes. Very poor performance. Lucky to get a draw. They were the better team for most of it.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
BlueTaylor91 said:
From City tweeting about Totti never scoring in England

To the first half performance

To then seeing Scholes at HT mentioning how empty the stadium was

To the second half performance

To then Rio tweeting about our stadium expansion and not filling it

Overall what a crap night!

Get a life you sad mid table twat
He should have been shown the door back in 2012 when he signed up. One of his early posts about the parade in our city mentioned that it seemed the whole of Stockport were there.

We need to be playing 5 in the midfield vs. every big team in europe. Once again, we were outnumbered, not outclassed. I sympathize with Pellegrini though because our personnel is built for a 442.

As shitty as it sounds, I believe Aguero is a big part of the problem. He's not any good alone in a 451 and we don't have the right options to switch into a 433, which would offer similar stability and covering in the midfield (to the 451). IMO, Dzeko and Jovetic can both operate as the lone forward - big targets able to collect and hold up play, allowing midfielders the time they need to make their runs and properly get into the attack... But why would you ever leave a healthy Aguero on the bench...

Lacking the real attack-minded wingers like a reus, hazard, and sanchez, a 433, which I believe Aguero would flourish in, also seems unrealistic. So it's either play a 442, play aguero in a system he's not overly effective in, or leave our best player on the bench... So much for that perfect balance.

I don't fancy our chances of perfecting the 442 vs the likes of Bayern, Barca, Real, etc. So maybe it's time to cash in on either dzeko or aguero and tinker our system a little bit. I'm really just tired of seeing us underachieve.

I won't go into details as I and others have said it plenty before but our tactics in Europe are never right.

A two man midfield with Yaya will not work versus the very best teams, it works when we have a vastly better squad than the opposing team but when its more even the huge tactical flaw becomes too much.

Really we need to go with three in midfield for these games although two might just work against CSKA. Its just frustrating that we barely seem any better than when we first played in this tournament and then you see PSG playing with much more freedom. We look a shadow of the side which plays in the league.

The most annoying thing for me is that we don't seem to be creating many chances and getting shots on goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.